Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Heavyweight general observations - kite size selection?

Forum for kitesurfers
bigjohn
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Keho Lake
Style: Freeride
Gear: 2012 OR Razor 12, 9, 7
2010 OR Mako King
2007 Best TT 144 X 44
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Heavyweight general observations - kite size selection?

Postby bigjohn » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:03 am

So I show up to my local spot.

Winds blowing.

Like most people I'm wondering what everyone is out on. And as I'm assessing the situation.
most are asking "what are you out on?"

I find myself always asking right after "mind if I ask what you weigh in at? "

Most guys are out on 7s, 8s, and 9s. I'm thinking 12.

I generally find that for approximately every 25lbs or 10kg I weigh more than the guy I asked I add 1 kite size bigger to my selection.

I usually get the "are you crazy" look from the skinny guys when they are on their 7m and I'm pumping up my 12m. But when I am on the water I'm only comfortably powered up.

Any one else find this to be a good rule of thumb?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Heavyweight general observations - kite size selection?

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:51 am

I ignore everyone else, cos they're either teeny weeny people or on directionals... I've been on on a 17 when others were riding 7s and still had fun. Also there are people here who truly believe that anything more than a 14 is just "too big" for them :-? and won't even try a bigger kite, no matter how light the wind is.

That said... the more wind there is, the closer the kites sizes get. I can get away with a 10 when other TT riders are on 9s or 10s too... sometimes, anyway!

The lighter the wind, the more kite I need. It's an exponential thing :D it's why I always take 2 boards over to the beach too.

Younger
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Dublin

Postby Younger » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:40 am

Yep for sure - kite size has to increase proportional to weight. I'm 240lbs and out on 17m when majority are on 12-14m. Bigger board too.

cowboy
Medium Poster

Postby cowboy » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:22 pm

sitting at 105kg, I tend to be on a size more than most folks, sometimes more

My rule is knowing expected wind ranges for my kites, for every 10kg over 75kg add 2knt to the bottom end and 2-3 to top end

Go with what you are safe and comfortable on according to your skill level, cause if you have newer kit it can help your efficiency on the water

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:15 pm

I'm usually on the same size kite as others and make up for my weight with board. Once the wind hits 18 mph I'm on my 10 rpm,144 x 47 board. 2 weeks ago I was on my 10,many others on 12's
I find the weight surplus seems to affect me in the marginal winds - 8-12 mph. I've been kiting for 12 years and I think you can refine your technique and become much more efficient as time goes by. Just threw out my 2005 22.5 ! Kites and boards are much more efficient these days. Also a lot depends on what you want to accomplish on the water.Look at Toby, huge kites, big, long jumps for his airstyle. If I was kiting with him I'd be on a 10 or 8, but I'm riding much different style.

icebird
Frequent Poster

Postby icebird » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:01 pm

heh - yeah kind of stupid question - I usually answer with - my largest, middle or smallest kite and sometimes ask about weight and kite type as a C kite and a delta are in different worlds. If it is nuking I always ask about experience level as you get the odd beginner with only one or two kites that think they can probably manage a little more wind with a too big kite.

So I'm not heavyweight but I've tried testing a kite flown by a guy more than 50% heavier than me, so there is room for interpretation - I'd say both of us were at the opposite end of that kites range - he struggled to stay upwind and I struggled to hold down the power. This was 12m, and I was weakly powered on my own 10m, clearly with less botttom.

Return to “Kitesurfing”