Liquid Force fun foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: Liquid Force fun foil

Postby revhed » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:19 am

I agree, from what I can see the rails are to sharp and for sure the tail is needlessly pointy.
The nose looks a little to pointy as well.
Easy to see what to do in most other KBHF board rail and planform shapes.
I feel one of the best production boards for KBHFing is the North Freestyle fish 2013.
As all of us know all to well you will come in contact with your KBHFs rails, nose and tail eventually, better if they are at least somewhat rounded!
This is also more hydrodynamic, see a true surf board.
Rounded is Kinder to your lines, wetsuit (while body dragging) and most important your skin and bones.
I also question the nose scoop, is it enough for sea chop.
I am sure the L F guys who are reading my posts think I am overely crital, NOT, I am sharing my thoughts from years of experience in hopes they will bring to market the best available design.
And as I posted in their other thread there are other isues to be considered.
I only hope they will listen to all the input ( with open minds) and make changes before they go into production as to not release something that could have easiley been designed and made much better.
This saftey concern is why I teach people ONLY with a front foot hook for I am convinced this is best way.
With it you still have enough board control for the water start and correct front foot placement on the board while allowing for the easy crash foot seperation, unlike even loose straps!
Of course strapless is best but we have found that only guys with extensive strapless directional experience are up to that challenge.
And a back strap to learn is just not ok.
One needs to be able to learn where to place the rear foot knowing that in the begining a little further forward so the foil does not fly to get used to it.
Just my 2 centimes, but maybe worth a lot more?
R H
A begginer needs to have a slower, stable, strong and SAFE KBHF to learn with, this can be done by gaining info from what has already been done and proved.
The market is there, who will successfully take it?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:53 pm

revhed wrote:I agree, from what I can see the rails are to sharp and for sure the tail is needlessly pointy.
The nose looks a little to pointy as well.
Easy to see what to do in most other KBHF board rail and planform shapes.
I feel one of the best production boards for KBHFing is the North Freestyle fish 2013.
As all of us know all to well you will come in contact with your KBHFs rails, nose and tail eventually, better if they are at least somewhat rounded!
This is also more hydrodynamic, see a true surf board.
Rounded is Kinder to your lines, wetsuit (while body dragging) and most important your skin and bones.
I also question the nose scoop, is it enough for sea chop.
I am sure the L F guys who are reading my posts think I am overely crital, NOT, I am sharing my thoughts from years of experience in hopes they will bring to market the best available design.
And as I posted in their other thread there are other isues to be considered.
I only hope they will listen to all the input ( with open minds) and make changes before they go into production as to not release something that could have easiley been designed and made much better.
This saftey concern is why I teach people ONLY with a front foot hook for I am convinced this is best way.
With it you still have enough board control for the water start and correct front foot placement on the board while allowing for the easy crash foot seperation, unlike even loose straps!
Of course strapless is best but we have found that only guys with extensive strapless directional experience are up to that challenge.
And a back strap to learn is just not ok.
One needs to be able to learn where to place the rear foot knowing that in the begining a little further forward so the foil does not fly to get used to it.
Just my 2 centimes, but maybe worth a lot more?
R H
A begginer needs to have a slower, stable, strong and SAFE KBHF to learn with, this can be done by gaining info from what has already been done and proved.
The market is there, who will successfully take it?
Thanks for saying that so I did not have to.

Saying that the smaller board makes it easier to learn in the beginning is just not right.

--
Gunnar

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:38 am

I am glad the first of the big 6 international brands is coming out with a foil, and I am glad it will be $1599. This will be a product that has us excited about selling something from Liquid Force. The lower price might bring in some otherwise reluctant new foilers.

On another note, I do want to mention some misconceptions about MHL and carbon fiber. Carbon fiber is repairable. It's not easy and it is not likely the average person can do it at home with some Ding-All. But there are at a couple carbon repair shops in the US that specialize in fixing carbon sporting goods.

Also, the MHL board is modular in that each piece can be bought individually. It is the only one I know of where you can buy a traditional wing and race wing -- both front and rear.

The MHL can also be ordered as a surfboard deck with fin boxes for surfing for about $150 extra. And you can get custom, one of a kind colors for no extra charge.

I think there will be room in the market for both the Liquid Force and the MHL plus many others.

A couple of pics:

Thanks,
Stafford
www.adventurekiteboarding.com

liquidforcekites
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Encinitas, CA
Style: Pure Fun
Gear: Envy
Havoc
HiFi
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force Kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby liquidforcekites » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:02 pm

Foil community! As most of you know we have been hard at work with continued testing on our foil project with the intention to bring this to everyone one in the near future! WE don't want to test our product on the end user base, we want to test it compleaty to ensure that the LF foil is a completely durable product that hits all the goals we set out!

1. Easy to use all around foil
2. Modular for progression and expansion! our fuselage will accept all our future wing configurations that will include high aspect, lower aspect, top and / or bottom placement. keel stabilizers, singular (huh? yeah...) etc....
3. Ability to put our foil on any board you wish! mount it yourself to a kite or wake skate, skim, reinforced surfboard, kite board, wakeboard, or other foil boards that have 90mm plate width mounting. Freedom of choice! (DEVO quote, ha)
4. Affordable..we want to help grow foiling with a kite!!! WE fell in love with this aspect of kiting and we would love to make it affordable for many people to get involved! Open light wind areas to the sport, etc...

As for the use of aluminum for our mast/ strut and fuselage..What we compare this to is the mountain bike market..you can get bikes in aluminum or in carbon...yes aluminum is heavier..but not by much..but you can get the same frame in either aluminum or carbon in most cases to fit your budget and or preference. I am sure i just opened us up for some criticism based on this comparison...but..none the less it is a good example...

also! thanks to the kiteboarding hydrofoil community! as we have found out there is no lack of expertise, opinions, suggestions and criticism! Keep it coming!! seems to be all part of the fun..and we have used some of this to make our foil better!

Plus big thanks to the Hood River foil crew! Who would have ever thought Hood River would be an epic place to kite hydrofoil! Well it is and i am out to hit the river!

Enjoy this small clip of Jason Slezak in Hood riding in what we call perfect foil face conditions!

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:57 pm

Great to hear that you are also using the 90mm width. That makes 6 brands now.

Now we just need Moses, Zeeko, Spotz and the rest to see the light.

--
Gunnar

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:50 pm

liquidforcekites wrote:
also! thanks to the kiteboarding hydrofoil community! as we have found out there is no lack of expertise, opinions, suggestions and criticism! Keep it coming!! seems to be all part of the fun..and we have used some of this to make our foil better!
Nice attitude!
A slow (relative), stable, strong, durable and most importantly safe KBHF at a good price will just sell, if it flys well!
Good luck!
R H

Phil
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Famara
Gear: Naish Slash 2017 9m & 7m, Firewire Vader 5'3, HB Lafayette 5'10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Phil » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:58 pm

liquidforcekites wrote: Freedom of choice! (DEVO quote, ha)
Freedom of choice is what you got :chorus:
DEVO.jpg
DEVO.jpg (25.65 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
:thumb:

Phil
Have Fun & Ride Safe
Last edited by Phil on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any

Postby lieutenantglorp » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:03 pm

Is the price for foil only available? I too would prefer a custom board.

jlsail
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Green Island, Antigua
Favorite Beaches: Green Island, Antigua
Spanishpoint, Barbuda
Gear: Ozone Enduro

Postby jlsail » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:15 am

gmb13 wrote:Great to hear that you are also using the 90mm width. That makes 6 brands now.

Now we just need Moses, Zeeko, Spotz and the rest to see the light.

--
Gunnar
Gunnar I have seen you pushing this 90mm in alot of post, but this is from your webpage today (20140912)

Surf and Foil Plug:

This is the first thing that is majorly different from other brands. We do not believe in destroying your Surfboard with 4 Holes drilled all the way though. Initially we used a Tuttle box. We soon noticed that these were just not strong enough to take a hit.

The Magma Box System uses a radius in the front part of the plug that really digs itself into the box. So in a frontal collision the whole box is talking the pressure and not the screws like on a Tuttle box. This allows us to use a much thinner box that spreads the load over a greater area though the board instead of just a couple of centimetres either side.

This makes it possible for us to build it into any modern surfboard and guarantee the strength and integrity of the board without a huge increase in weight. 300 grams is all it adds to any board.. All Foils come with a special Plug that lets you close the Box if you want to go surfing without the foil.

why have you change your mind?

cheers
Johan

liquidforcekites
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Encinitas, CA
Style: Pure Fun
Gear: Envy
Havoc
HiFi
Brand Affiliation: Liquid Force Kiteboarding