A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: my learning progession on a hydrofoil

Postby junebug » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:42 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:51 am
Pedro Marcos wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 am
In foil jibes i feel that speed is actually more important then using your kite to "hang in the air", in tacks yes, it makes everything much easier when you get the correct timming with the kite.

This is something many says - but I have the opposite experience, keeping the speed moderate and the timing spot on works much better for me - speed is NOT good as you will fail much easier now for many reasons.

I am talking about "surf" jibes, meaning carving around first, and then switching your feet just before or when you are headed up on the new tack, just like on a waveboard or windsurfer :rollgrin:

Maybe we are not talking about the same kind of jibe, and if doing a racejibe switching feet first going into the carve, speed is good ?

8) PF
I use the kite way more doing surf jibes than I do race jibes. It takes me a split second longer to get my body and feet in the right position doing surf jibes and the additional lift from the kite helps staying on foil. I don't practice surf jibes nearly as much as race jibes, so that probably has something to do with why I'm slower.

meteo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Bozo Beach, pointe du lac, Québec, canada
Sunset Beach, tarpon springs, Florida
Style: old school, Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone and Flysurfer
Has thanked: 0

Postby meteo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:14 pm

Progression: Yes, I am still progressing. I have 620 hours of practice since starting this adventure in April 2015.
So what’s new…
1) Doing aerial foot change for jibes is almost at 100% success; don’t even have to think about it… I just DO it..
2) Duck tacks are not as easy, about 80% aerial duck tacks on my good side, and 10% on my bad side. I get almost 100% of my duck tack, but not “aerial”, I touch the water.
3) duck tacks without changing my feet, I don’t know what they are called, but I end up toe side on the new direction, super easy on my bad side, so so on the other. They are so fun to do…
4) 306° turns, I do a few, but conditions have to be right, that is about 8 to 12 kts of wind. I am afraid of the “Pull” when downlooping to return in the original direction.
5) I can now ride in high winds as much as 25kt with a 12meter kite…
Also, I have acquired a new foil, I started with the Liquid Force FUN foil, (sold it) moved up the a racing foil, the Spotz TUNA, still have it, then bought a Shinn P foil, still have it… now I ride almost exclusively the Liquid Force Impulse with a 76cm mast. I still ride mostly the Pulsion12m from Conceptair, but since working on my Duck Tacks, I have been riding the race foil Sonic 11m from Flysurfer…

My wife is getting almost as good as me(doing aerial duck tacks and jibes) and she as only 150 hours of practice. I like to think she is doing so well because of my “guidance”

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:43 pm

meteo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:14 pm
Progression: Yes, I am still progressing. I have 620 hours of practice since starting this adventure in April 2015.
So what’s new…
1) Doing aerial foot change for jibes is almost at 100% success; don’t even have to think about it… I just DO it..
2) Duck tacks are not as easy, about 80% aerial duck tacks on my good side, and 10% on my bad side. I get almost 100% of my duck tack, but not “aerial”, I touch the water.
3) duck tacks without changing my feet, I don’t know what they are called, but I end up toe side on the new direction, super easy on my bad side, so so on the other. They are so fun to do…
4) 306° turns, I do a few, but conditions have to be right, that is about 8 to 12 kts of wind. I am afraid of the “Pull” when downlooping to return in the original direction.
5) I can now ride in high winds as much as 25kt with a 12meter kite…
Also, I have acquired a new foil, I started with the Liquid Force FUN foil, (sold it) moved up the a racing foil, the Spotz TUNA, still have it, then bought a Shinn P foil, still have it… now I ride almost exclusively the Liquid Force Impulse with a 76cm mast. I still ride mostly the Pulsion12m from Conceptair, but since working on my Duck Tacks, I have been riding the race foil Sonic 11m from Flysurfer…

My wife is getting almost as good as me(doing aerial duck tacks and jibes) and she as only 150 hours of practice. I like to think she is doing so well because of my “guidance”
Love to hear the progression, my wife and I started over Christmas holidays this year. We both started with the happy foil but now I have a Impluse as well. Thinking about getting a foil kite for really light 6 knot days. Curious what you have your wife riding... also an impulse? I was thinking for getting one for my wife since I am progressing faster then she is, I think its probably because of the foil. Also curious how the impluse matches with the 12m Pulsion?

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:34 pm

Holy moly, Meteo, I've followed your progression and it along with my local buddies foiling convinced me to try it, but 620 hours in 3 years, YIKES. That's 200 hours each year. If you do 2 hours in a session, that's 100 days a year or every third day. Amazing for someone living in Quebec, but maybe you spend a lot of time in Florida! I will not get anywhere near that number in the rest of my life, being 62 now. I've perhaps got 20 hours of foiling since I started a year ago, hence just now getting started on touch-down gybes.

meteo
Medium Poster

Postby meteo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:51 pm

to Laughingman: my wife started also with the Liquid Force "FUN" foil, then she got the "Happy" foil when I got the "Spotz", then when I bought the ShinnP, she took that one, so I bought the LF Impulse, and she tried the Impulse... Well... when she tried my Impulse... I had to by another Impulse(I almost bought a Moses 633 with 71cm mast), so we both ride impulses and we both have the Conceptair Pulsion12m(I have the lighter material)... If anybody is serious about verrrry light winds... you definitely need an Pulsion12m... not the 15 and not the 18... only the 12m is MAGIC... racing foil kites are better for many things but none of them matches light wind ease of mind... you go out there and are not afraid of loosing the kite.

To Hugh2: I average over 230 hours a year with more than 170 days of kiting, the link below is from a camera from my house... but I also ride 6 month per year in Florida, unfortunately over there I dont live near the water, so I travel about 8000km per 6 month to and from my favorite spots... I am at a time in my life that it's "now or never" being 66... I have friends in their 70 and they just started foiling... so there you go... never too late...

http://meteo.dnsalias.com/current_wizard.htm

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:18 pm

meteo wrote:
Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:51 pm
to Laughingman: my wife started also with the Liquid Force "FUN" foil, then she got the "Happy" foil when I got the "Spotz", then when I bought the ShinnP, she took that one, so I bought the LF Impulse, and she tried the Impulse... Well... when she tried my Impulse... I had to by another Impulse(I almost bought a Moses 633 with 71cm mast), so we both ride impulses and we both have the Conceptair Pulsion12m(I have the lighter material)... If anybody is serious about verrrry light winds... you definitely need an Pulsion12m... not the 15 and not the 18... only the 12m is MAGIC... racing foil kites are better for many things but none of them matches light wind ease of mind... you go out there and are not afraid of loosing the kite.

To Hugh2: I average over 230 hours a year with more than 170 days of kiting, the link below is from a camera from my house... but I also ride 6 month per year in Florida, unfortunately over there I dont live near the water, so I travel about 8000km per 6 month to and from my favorite spots... I am at a time in my life that it's "now or never" being 66... I have friends in their 70 and they just started foiling... so there you go... never too late...

http://meteo.dnsalias.com/current_wizard.htm
OMG Meteo... that is just amazing, would you mind sharing your opinion on the impulse for a 125lb rider... is your wife close to this weight...? I am afraid she will be too light to keep it in the water...

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:33 pm

Mateo, well done! I'm 58, still working. Almost 2 years in, I lost count of my hours, but I think around 100 hours now.
Doing flying gybes without footswitch, working on flying footswitch. On a Moses 590.
Thinking of getting a 633.
Bought a Hyperlink 9 and that kite has helped a lot. Love it.
Then got a used Sonic 2 13m. Only used 5 hrs, not sure about it yet, takes some new kite skills.
Curious about the Concept air Pulsion 12 and your lowend on it, and your weight.
Might sell the Sonic 2 next season and get other 12-13 foil kite. I'm only Freeriding.

It's been so much fun, I was thinking I started too late....would get worn out from age before the fun stops...but perhaps I have 10-12 years left. Time goes so fast as you know.
Today was out an hour before the wind died and 16km I only fell 2-3 times.
I've noticed my legs are in great shape, cycling on the side and they feel strong on the bike, I think from foiling.

meteo
Medium Poster

Postby meteo » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:53 pm

to TomW: you will progress much faster with the Moses 633, very similar to the Impulse from LF, might even be better... 5 min after riding the impulse, I was sitting on the board, these new big front wings are sooooooo stable. I have tried many types of kites. the best for performance are naturally the racing foil kites... but I got tired of walking or swimming back to the shore because I did a "mistake", that's why I bought the Pulsion12m, just one week of buying the Sonic 11m and 15m kites.. I weight about 165lbs, but no matter the weight, pulsion makes only one magic kite and it's the 12m... It will stay up there in the air no matter what, unless you steer it down like I've done unfortunately more than once. I use my Pulsion from 6 kts to 20kts and have been caught more than once in 25+kts.. no problem (but no fun) I can bring it back home.. In fact, you can use only that kite, which is what my wife does... my skill level has increased a lot this summer, so I am using again my racing foilkite(sonic11m, not the 15)... here is what I think... in very light or unstable winds, I will ALWAYS use my Pulsion12m... in stable winds from 8 to 18, I am presently using my Flysurfer Sonic 11m, in higher winds I would like to have an inflatable kite, I haven't chosen one yet, but I tried and liked the MauiCloud 6.5m

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:08 pm

Very cool, meteo! Well done on dedicating yourself to getting what you can out of kiting while you can. I don't feel old at 62, kiting has certainly kept me going, but I'm still working. I only know one person over 70 riding in Cape Town (there may be more of course) where I ride a couple months each year, and noone in the US. But foiling in Cape Town is difficult given the need to get through the waves, so only a few locals do it, and I have yet to take my foil with me (buying one locally is prohibitively expensive given my cheapo habits). I have not tried a foil kite yet. But I will keep at the foiling, albeit only on a Slingshot Hoverglide bolted to a large old surfboard with progression masts. I get tossed off my buddies carbon foils, they are so unstable, so for now like the weight and stability of the Hoverglide.

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15.5m Switch H2, 12m SS RPX, 7/10m RPM ('19), 8m SS UFO V2.0, 5/6[V5]/8m[V6] SS SST, SS Phantasm 633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'4 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 4.4 & 5.4 Vayu wings
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Thu Jul 26, 2018 2:06 am

Damn, after only about a half-dozen sessions of trying to kitefoil, aka floiling [flailing while foiling], I bailed and bought the longer fuselage and the larger H2 wing for my Hoverglide setup to back up a step and learn to windfoil first. Maybe it's because I'm only a 61-year-old kid and windsurfed over 25 years before even learning to kiteboard, but I feel having a boom to brace against is speeding up my progression with pitch control. I'm poised to make the jump from a 24" mast to the full length 35" one. Some day, maybe even this year, I'll get back on the Alien Air and give it a try. You guys are giving me hope!
-Barry

Return to “Hydrofoil”