Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Need to tune my Chrono?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Randahl
Medium Poster
Local Beach: SF Bay, San Diego
Favorite Beaches: San Felipe BC, Mission Bay and San Diego at large, Belmont, C Street, Emma Wood, Ledbetter, Sherman, East Bay
Style: Foils and Twins
Gear: Sword 2, Camet, Ozone, F-One
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need to tune my Chrono?

Postby Randahl » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:47 am

I have a 15m Chrono and it has started this annoying thing where the white side wingtip folds over all the time, usually when in some degree of going upwind on a hydrofoil. Most often its when the white side is on the bottom (starboard tack). I can get it to unfold by sheeting in and sometimes I have to fall off downwind to get the wind more direct against the kite to get the tip to peel back out. It really only does it on the white side, the colored side seems much more stable.

I've been watching it as I'm going along on starboard upwind and you can see the tip section sort of waffling. In wind with any gust its really bad.

So I think I need to tune some of my lines but I have no idea which ones. Any ideas where I would start?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Re: Need to tune my Chrono?

Postby plummet » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:48 am

http://ozonekites.com/images/uploads/pr ... -Check.pdf
Apparently this info is available on request for the chrono too.

Some more interesting info.

http://flyozone.com/paragliders/en/info ... spections/

First place to check for stretch and wear is the pullies and bridles that run through them.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m

Postby darippah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:15 pm

best place to start is your line lengths they should all be equal

cosmo
Medium Poster

Postby cosmo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:12 pm

plummet wrote:http://ozonekites.com/images/uploads/pr ... -Check.pdf
Apparently this info is available on request for the chrono too.
This thing is crazy!
if that is the problem just add a knot to the streched line...or two! :angryfire:
Ozone guys...are you serious???

whiteout
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: All kinds of kites

Postby whiteout » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:50 pm

hey check closely for a tangle in the bridal

PC814
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Texas City Levee
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Edge, MHL Lift

Postby PC814 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:03 pm

What you are describing sounds like it could just be caused by a lack of pressure in that side of the kite. Check and make sure that the velcro holding the drain hole on the white wingtip is fully closing and sealing the hole shut. I'd also check and see if there are any small tears or holes on that side of the kite. Then explore the line stretch etc.

ozchrisb
Frequent Poster

Postby ozchrisb » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:19 pm

EDIT: Updated the lengths
Move the knot on the mixer, that the brake bridle attaches to, closer to the kite by about 20mm. Do the same on both sides. If you look really closely you should see that, even when you sheet out, there is a little bit of brake tension left and the trailing edge is hooked (it will have a small crease towards the center). This makes for a very powerful wing section, but it will luff/collapse very easily. There's a thread on the main forum about it too. If you go 30mm instead it will never collapse at the cost of a little low end and some steering. If you really want to get fancy you can see which bridle is tight (is usually the second tier of brake line, one out from the center) and make a new longer piece for that.
viewtopic.php?t=2388478&p=884457
and
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2387383&p=870099

COTILLO
Rare Poster
Gear: FL

Postby COTILLO » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:06 am

Can somebody explain why making break bridles (k lines) 2-3 cm longer results in more stable chrono tips. In theory should be the opposite because when tips collapse, you sheet in (tension break lines) to open the tips.

Please, has anybody Chrono line plan or know how to get it . It is frustrating paying so much money for so little kite support !!!

Slyde
Frequent Poster

Postby Slyde » Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:43 am

why do you say there is so little support? Have you emailed Ozone to ask them? Looks to me like you have all the answers here in this thread. I lengthened my back lines a little for the same issue and it seems better. Pretty sure it is my inexperience with foil kites that is the major problem. When I get better I'll put it back. That and the fact that we are pushing the foil kites to the very low end of their wind range. Doesn't seem to be an issue when there is more wind.
I'm betting that in 2 months you'll be dialled in.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:22 am

COTILLO wrote:Can somebody explain why making break bridles (k lines) 2-3 cm longer results in more stable chrono tips. In theory should be the opposite because when tips collapse, you sheet in (tension break lines) to open the tips.

Please, has anybody Chrono line plan or know how to get it . It is frustrating paying so much money for so little kite support !!!
I have been flying foils for years.

I made the same assumption as you.

If a wing is designed to hold form at certain angles then by pulling in the wing which at first thought should stop the wing folding in more, you actually making the problem worse.

By letting the wing hold the form it is designed to hold by giving it more bridle length, you're encouraging the wing to hold shape.

It's quite hard to put into a few lines, let me know if I have made sense to you.

Tony

Return to “Hydrofoil”