Been thinking of learning to Foil for two years

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: Been thinking of learning to Foil for two years

Postby revhed » Sun May 10, 2015 9:13 am

Don_C wrote: Learning to tack on a foil is arguably the most gratifying board skill I can think of.
:thumb:
As well as for me, clean flying stance changes in the four configurations,
heelside goofy to toeside regular, 180° clockwise body spin from top
heelside regular to toeside goofy,180° counter clock wise
toeside regular to heelside goofy, ccw
toeside goofy to heelside regular, cw
R H

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby BOEMIX » Sun May 10, 2015 9:46 pm

From my noobie experience (only 3 sessions with my KETOS SO EASY foil) i could tell you that although i ride it like doing a rodeo over a crazy dolphin, geting up and down without control, I don't worry about getting in deep water cause you can bodydrag with it upwind with ease.
To ride it well, it's another story...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon May 11, 2015 2:00 am

14ToeSide wrote:Besides a Flying feeling, going faster than I can on a Surfboard and using a smaller kite possibly, can someone guide me as to Why I might want to Foil? I only kite in the Atlantic with No Flatwater around. I can go now with my Lotus 21 and Sweet potato when there are no shades of gray on the water and No caps.
I have a 17m flite, a Potatonator, and now a paipo -- which is an amazing light wind upwind machine. I am a low level intermediate / "advanced beginner" foiler, and I'd say at this point it can buy 1 or 2kt on the light wind scale. So, most definitely will be some days that it gets you upwind when you'd be struggling to hold your position on a surfboard.

However, the main reason is because it's something different and it's fun. Feels super cool to be flying above the water. I was watching some gopro footage and it struck me how quiet it is....no white noise.

Now, all that being said, no way I am about to get rid of all my other boards. If there is even a hint of surfable waves it is surfboard first. If it's shallow shorebreak waves, then it's the mako or paipo. And if it's cranking and you want to do some jumping, use the purpose built twintip....I see that guys are busting big airs with foils, but looks awkward to me (sorry to say) and they are either sponsored or rich, because it is a VERY expensive toy to risk breaking like that.

so....the conclusion....one more toy in the toybox. If you can afford the cost of one and have the time to play around on different boards....then the answer to your question is, why wouldn't you choose to have more fun??? :D :lol: :wink: :naughty: :cool2:

Return to “Hydrofoil”