Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Backroll transition to toeside?

Postby Osprey1 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:24 am

Can anyone give tips on how to do the backroll to toeside transition? I try it but cant keep my foil in the water when carving upwind

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Re: Backroll transition to toeside?

Postby cglazier » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:57 am

A backroll to toeside transition is just a tack without switching your feet. In fact it is a good practise move to master before trying a full tack. I have seen hydrofoil kite racers tack by doing a backroll to toeside and then switching their feet afterwards. You can practice this with just a kite surfboard.. if you can't do it on a surfboard then you certainly can't do it on a hydrfoil.

Be sure to depower your kite completely when going into this move. Watch the tacking instructional videos for more help.

:wink: CG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:35 am

I think it is a tack (transition) to toeside, and not a backroll transition to toeside, as the last is understood as an aerial tack with liftoff board or foil :wink:

You can not keep it up foiling you write, when carving upwind ?

Can you do a 360 or a roll (duck) tack ?
I assume not...

For me, the toeside transition is extremely difficult, because of my "non-flexible" body :roll:

But keeping it on its foil when carving upwind or in 360's is only a matter of practice, do it 50-100 times and you will notice how you are suddenly able to do things that seemed impossible :thumb:

Two things has helped me a lot - look over your shoulder first, to initiate a sharp turn - but dont keep it there, look down at the nose of the board so you can keep it over the water and not too high either, in 360s :D
Whereas in tack you need to look up and forward and upwind in the second half, to get your body to "do the right thing" so to speak :naughty:

Strapped or strapless ?

Strapped you can whip the hydrofoil around, and you can also recover imbalances much easier, so would try that first.
Otherwise it is just about trying over and over...
Some can do it almost right away, others like me have to try over and over to get the idea in muscle memory :wink:

There is a big difference between a 360 and a tack (does not matter if toeside or not), and that is the board should be canted "upwind" just at top of and after the tack - whereas in a 360 you lean back a bit all the way so it is canted downwind when halfway around, quite opposite to a tack.
This is why you have to focus with your eyes on two different spots, halfway around.

This difference is important to have your mind set on to IMO, as this is what I find difficult when tacking strapless.

Dont know if above can help ?

8) Peter

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:34 pm

:thumb: For sure when tacking the board has to be canted upwind after it's nose passes through the wind on the new tack or it is the end, especially if you are strapless...

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:12 pm

windmaker wrote::thumb: For sure when tacking the board has to be canted upwind after it's nose passes through the wind on the new tack or it is the end, especially if you are strapless...
I disagree. You can see from this awesome picture of Peter Muller tacking, that the board has gone through head to wind before he switches his feet, and it's canted downwind on the new tack until after he puts weight on the new front footstrap.

When I was learning the tack, I put too much thought into controlling the cant of the board (heelside to toeside). Now it just seems like the board angles to the new direction on it's own once I put my new front foot in the strap.

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:38 pm

Agreed.
I just concentrate on staying above the board and the board angle seems to take care of itself.

:wink: CG

(not sure who this rider is)
Attachments
tack_s10.jpg

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:04 am

davesails7 wrote:
windmaker wrote::thumb: For sure when tacking the board has to be canted upwind after it's nose passes through the wind on the new tack or it is the end, especially if you are strapless...
I disagree. You can see from this awesome picture of Peter Muller tacking, that the board has gone through head to wind before he switches his feet, and it's canted downwind on the new tack until after he puts weight on the new front footstrap.

When I was learning the tack, I put too much thought into controlling the cant of the board (heelside to toeside). Now it just seems like the board angles to the new direction on it's own once I put my new front foot in the strap.
I only ride strapless. Strapless riders ride with the feet placed over the centerline of the board so I guess foot straps (which are usually offset) help in applying leverage, you can also pull on them. Part of the reason why most tricks are harder strapless.

Would love to see a similar sequence done strapless and compare!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:16 am

Windmaker is right, strapless you can not have it canted wrong and save it using the strap, that was what I meant with "Imbalances" :roll:
Would also add, that with bigger and more powered kites it seems easier - you got more "time" to correct, as you don't have your weight on the hydrofoil nearly as much :wink:

8) PF

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:38 am

Found some older footage that shows this.

Of course if you overshoot, that is "almost" make a 360 (at least more than half), going a lot downwind and then heads up - you can keep the board flat and not windward canted (see 1:38).

But if you want to make a clean tack to toeside you have to change hydrofoil to windward cant, see in the video at 1:47 :thumb:

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:31 pm

That makes sense. I've never tried strapless. It seems like the 3 strap setup makes it much easier to make it through the tack.

Return to “Hydrofoil”