Canard Foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Canard Foil

Postby Starsky » Fri Apr 01, 2016 5:21 pm

I guess they will have to pay these guys royalties.

http://crazyfoil.com

Their french.... but not from France.

Europ2
Frequent Poster

Postby Europ2 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 2:30 pm

Starsky wrote:I guess they will have to pay these guys royalties.
http://crazyfoil.com
Their french.... but not from France.
They are not very far from you Starsky :wink:
Since the publication of this post it seems that the site product description has evolved and this canard Hydrofoil can now be used with a kite as well.

I would never have thought that this could be patentable ... mainly because of the hydrofoil canard for sport board designed by Franckite24 (Sword 1 father) and posted on the French Kitefoil forum end of 2011 /early 2012
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... edit-text=
CrazyFoil canard patent.jpg
CrazyFoil canard patent.jpg (5.34 KiB) Viewed 1803 times
The canard hydrofoil later evolved to the following prototype by Renaud-M
Last edited by Europ2 on Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:50 am

revhed wrote:Rumours of one that flies well are being heard here in THE country of KBHF innovation.
Maybe? more info after this weekend test days.
R H
Is that related to 1st April?

Its difficult to tell if the experiments with Canard foils in the past were guesswork or they had a theory that might work.

I've outlined my guess at a line of research which could largely be done on a computer to check if wings could be made, where the rear wing smoothly produces a higher % of the total lift as the angle of attack increases, thereby keeping the centre of lift under the centre of mass.
If the computer model showed potential, then a prototype could be made to find out if it actually worked in real conditions.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:38 am

dsc00813.jpg
There will be no patents, royalties for either a TT or canard design KBHF as prior art can be proven with ease.
Unfortunately the latest canard design that is flying well was not on display at the French KBHF test days, but it will be seen and flown very soon.
R H

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:50 am

revhed wrote:
dsc00813.jpg
There will be no patents, royalties for either a TT or canard design KBHF as prior art can be proven with ease.
Unfortunately the latest canard design that is flying well was not on display at the French KBHF test days, but it will be seen and flown very soon.
R H
Interesting!

Now it has been shown that the Canard can work, the next stage is to develop it to see if it can be more efficient, or maybe work better in some applications, than the current popular configuration.

I'm glad to see the Canard design being investigated. We need to see it developed to see what it's full potential is - just in case it works better than the usual configuration. It's just too big an issue to not investigate it while the market is still relatively small. If it doesn't work well enough, then at least we will know for sure.

mig27
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Brouwersdam, Slufter, Grevelingendam, Rockanje
Style: strapless hydrofoil and wave
Gear: Zeeko Notus5 5.5m
Flysurfer Speed 5 12m
Zeeko 2015 Pocket board
Zeeko 2016 Carbon freeride foil + racewing
Nobile woodskim 129x50 (with foil mast inserts)
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby mig27 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:06 am

Interesting topic!
The canard/delta-wing configurations has some nice anti stall properties in aerodynamic applications.
This was the only way the Concorde could fly at a relative slow speed without the need for complex flap arrangements. The Russian version (aka Concordski) had some small canards up front.

And of course our current highest rated airplane designer Burt Rutan has designed a number of air-planes like this:

Although most principals of aerodynamics and hydrodynamics are close (relative to the density of air and water), they are not the same.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:47 am

revhed wrote:
dsc00813.jpg
R H
This looks more interesting Revhed, as a type like that has its strut further back, which IMO is needed to get good turn characteristics if the front wing is small, and why I am not so sure about the Crazyfoil with its strut so far forward....

Just like the Canard planes, rudder/vertical stabilizer far back for good turning :D

But only tests can tell :wink:

8) Peter

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:03 am

Maybe they need to get a highly skilled rider on this to see what it can do?

At 1:35 you can see that when it breaches the surface, it doesn't nose dive, but sinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSClfB ... tml5=False

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:36 pm

ronnie wrote:Maybe they need to get a highly skilled rider on this to see what it can do?

At 1:35 you can see that when it breaches the surface, it doesn't nose dive, but sinks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoSClfB ... tml5=False
This is really interesting IMO :D

I dont think the video shows anything, as we often encounter ventilation and ride out - but most often yes, it stalls violently and we go nose first in a huge crash.

If the front wing has some of the lift so the COE is a bit further than the main wing COE only, and the small wing is "lower" - offset down like on the crazyfoil (and I think I saw another test with this principle), then if the main wing ventilates before the front wing (the reason for the offset), it would most likely stall "the other way" meaning sink and you would either slow down but be able to regain control maybe, OR it would shoot up out of the water :rollgrin:

Anyways, I find it interesting that the ventilation om a canard will (as I see it) cause the reverse and at least very different effect than the classic feared nosedive we are all so familiar with :thumb:

8) PF

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:44 am

Looking at this front wing and visualising it as a Canard..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7HzOgA ... tml5=False

Some windsurf fins are now designed to twist under load (reducing the angle of attack of the tip), to smooth out the lift produced.

It might be possible to use the sweep of the wings to help the Canard configuration work. The lower front wing could be designed to twist, reducing the lift increase because the twisting would reduce some of the angle of attack on the wing compared to the centre section.
The rear wing (because of it's forward sweep, would do the opposite when it twists - increasing the angle of attack of the outer part of the wing as the angle of attack of the central part increased.

The two ends of the wings would want to twist in opposite directions, so if they are joined (which would help stabilise the tips of the rear wing) it would need to be by a strut that allowed them to rotate in opposite directions.

Return to “Hydrofoil”