HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: Canard Foil

Postby bragnouff » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:58 am

juandesooka wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:31 am
bragnouff wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:31 am
When I'm not so starved of wind that I can afford to waste some of it riding sub-optimal gear, I might take this one for a ride!
Let's call it the Cabrinhanard, shall we?
DO IT! I bet it will get up on foil at very low speeds. Good sup foil maybe
With that big stab now producing lift, maybe it will help for earlier liftoff.
It will surely be at low speeds anyway, cause the mast profile being backwards is going to add more drag onto what was already pretty draggy. Not something to try in light conditions, I'd say.
Just send wind my way.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...

Postby bragnouff » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:02 am

Well, after 10 days of riding in a row, I thought it was acceptable enough to waste time trying that Frankenstein thing of a Cabrinhanard.
So, yes it does foil, eventually, it takes a LOT of back foot pressure, needs the foot to be right on the wedge of the tail pad. It is very pitch sensitive, very loose in turns, borderline sketchy. It is so draggy it could also be nicknamed Mario, and very slow, and not inspiring confidence to try and go any faster. But after 15 minutes finding my balance on that thing, I could ride on the foil on the full width of the spot, and managed a couple of turns. Substantially worse than the original setup overall, and I'm not gonna try and tweak it further just to see.
Pretty pointless experimentation, but still a fun challenge.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:14 am

bragnouff wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:02 am
Well, after 10 days of riding in a row, I thought it was acceptable enough to waste time trying that Frankenstein thing of a Cabrinhanard.
So, yes it does foil, eventually, it takes a LOT of back foot pressure, needs the foot to be right on the wedge of the tail pad. It is very pitch sensitive, very loose in turns, borderline sketchy. It is so draggy it could also be nicknamed Mario, and very slow, and not inspiring confidence to try and go any faster. But after 15 minutes finding my balance on that thing, I could ride on the foil on the full width of the spot, and managed a couple of turns. Substantially worse than the original setup overall, and I'm not gonna try and tweak it further just to see.
Pretty pointless experimentation, but still a fun challenge.
Interesting Bragnouff, thanks for posting your results. For my own Franken-nard experimenting, it took me 3 sessions to get the pitch sensitivity under control enough to foil reliably. It still took an inordinate amount of rear foot pressure though. Did you experience "stomping" a turn, like a hard carve on a surfboard? That to me is the "killer app" of this set up, felt really good -- but not good enough for me to carry on the experiment for this year at least.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...

Postby bragnouff » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:05 am

Honestly it felt very twitchy, and all attempts to do a carve at speed with a bit of commitment resulted in ejection. But all the half assed turns were definitely driven by the back foot, and the centre of pivot was far towards the back. I need to precise that I was also pretty powered with a 12m in about 15-17kts, and it was good (required) to have the kite high up providing extra lift to stay on the foil consistently.

Return to “Hydrofoil”