Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any of you hydrofoil freaks doing distance runs?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Any of you hydrofoil freaks doing distance runs?

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon May 09, 2016 12:58 am

mig27 wrote:
Horst Sergio wrote:As this seems to turn into a: "How much did you like your Makaira Foil ..."
Wow, that is a nice place to go foiling!
My friend from who I bought this foil also stepped over onto the Levitaz Element 3.0 for racing.
Yes, Chiemsee in Bavaria is a really great place for foiling ... if you avoid the shallows ;-) and island slalom is big fun especially when there are 100s of other boats to avoid. At beside a moth and some other foilers there was also a big flying catamaran which was nearly as fast as the levitaz :-)

Back from my trip to coast didn't managed to do the long run of 60 km and also not the total surrounding of Chiemsee but big parts of it and had a lot of fun doing it:
Attachments
IMAG4046.jpg
Chiemsee 2016-05-08_1.jpg

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed May 18, 2016 1:38 am

Another "distance" run of 32 km back and return. Didn't made the last 4 km till the north end of the in total 20 km long lake, as it was a bit boring and risky with the wind on the end. (Hope it counts anyway :oops: )
The only thing that kept me up the last km was to overtake the local police-boat :D , cruising in the north, but as I didn't want to end in lull in front of the cops, I decided to do a tack and returned. But going more than 10 km in one direction without tacking was really a bit boring and also not healthy to the body: My neck was nearly blocked when always looking in one direction, so about 20 % of the way I foiled sitting for more comfort and also switched from one to an other sitting position to stay relaxed. In this case the 40 km of freestyle I have done directly after this trip have been much more fun.
Unbenannt.jpg
The much more enjoyable distance run has been the last pic of the last post, as there have been many different challenges, which have been mixed up well, see description of the session:

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2392572&p=930036#p930036

Bernd

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:58 pm

One afternoon we made over 100km cruising Finnish archipelago:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2394001

I am not a freak long distances but from time to time it might be fun. Especially with good company :)

And these are from another archipelago - rather in warmer waters :)

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:04 pm

BraCuru wrote:One afternoon we made over 100km cruising Finnish archipelago:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2394001
Very nice one BraCuru, :D

For me better than monofoil is just going distance, tinkering throw difficult narrows. Already training a lot, today passed the big island first time with west wind by avoiding many boats of regatta which blocked the easier passage on the north of the small islands. And last week made it to the middle of a very tiny bay, wind coming from southeast over the roofs of a town around. It's sometimes incredible where you can reach with a foil.

For next year I always want to do some longer trips through Scandinavia, with just a friend, one kite, one small, easy transport foilboard and a pair of shoes for the days without wind :wink: .
Chiemsee-2016-10-03.jpg
narrow.jpg

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:56 pm

Luckily met Peter Müller last week so I realized to do the full turn around Chiemsee and needn't go alone. Next spring will do it for sure again and will take more time to then scratch out every corner. Didn't want to let Peter wait too long with his race foil. For me it takes 1:28 h and has been around 48 km, so an average of 33 km/h.
Chiemsee-2016-10-13.jpg

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:01 pm

Those GPS tracks are pretty cool. It's like geography art -- next challenge, try to write your name or draw a picture of something. :-)

I hope to do some more exploration next summer, turn on the GPS watch, add some new tracks to the gallery.

ROLAVI
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ROLAVI » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:19 pm

I like doing long distance upwinders and downwinders in the waves. This was about 50 miles covered.
Attachments
IMG_2349.PNG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:00 pm

THAT is fun Rolavi, indeed - going upwind and then downwind playing in the waves, carving around on short tacks, or going max deep downwind - looks like fun :rollgrin:

8) PF

ROLAVI
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby ROLAVI » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:26 pm

Peter, I love downwinders on a surfboard in good waves and wind. It is priceless though when it marginal surf/wind and your friends offer to give you a car ride upwind to do a downwinder. You say no thank you. I will meet you upwind by water. By the time they collect all their friends and pack 3-6 people and gear in a van and drive upwind along the beach to start their downwinder you have already foiled upwind to hook up with them. Priceless.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:24 am

ROLAVI wrote:Peter, I love downwinders on a surfboard in good waves and wind. It is priceless though when it marginal surf/wind and your friends offer to give you a car ride upwind to do a downwinder. You say no thank you. I will meet you upwind by water. By the time they collect all their friends and pack 3-6 people and gear in a van and drive upwind along the beach to start their downwinder you have already foiled upwind to hook up with them. Priceless.
take a foil that is attached to a proper surfboard, work your way upwind at mad angles. Go to the beach, take foil off and stow in a backpack and then have the longest wave downwinder EVER!

I think I have designed a new product!!

Return to “Hydrofoil”