Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Poll: Preferred kite for light wind hydrofoiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

What kite would you choose for Hydrofoiling in 9 knt avg, lulls 6 knt and "gusts" 11 knt?

9m foil kite
3%
10m foil kite
5%
12m foil kite
6%
>12m foilkite
35%
10-11m regular LEI
6%
12-13m regular LEI
13%
14-15m regular LEI
5%
>15m regular LEI
5%
10m no/one strut LEI
5%
12m no/one strut LEI
9%
>12m no/one strut LEI
6%

Total votes: 95

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Re: Poll: Preferred kite for light wind hydrofoiling

Postby abel » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:56 pm

IWB2 wrote:Would be curious to know what exact foil size would be chosen in those winds when persons selected >12m foil.. ie 13,15,17,18,19 etc.
Me too :wink:
I seems that definitely >12m foil kites are the preferred type for Hfoiling in <10knots
I was expecting that the relative new, no/single strut, kites will gain more popularity, but 20 out of 66 voters compared to other alternatives can't be ignored.
Maybe when the 100 voters mark will be reached (for the sake of more solid statistics), I'll post a poll regarding the preferred foil size.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:20 pm

But why should one care ?

Here, most are racers.

Meaning, they ride 18 and 15m2 foilkites only, even in ridiculous high winds.

Those who ride freestyle and freeride, would have one relatively big foilkite (but never max size of course), or a light LEI kite, and change to other kites relatively fast when the wind goes above 8 knots.

So one should always choose based on ones experiences - and if someone got "none" yet, important to ask those riding the same way as you think you want to yourself.

Kitesize and foil or LEI, can have more than a factor two in size difference depending on personal likings and wing :rollgrin:

And if most are racers here, it will probably be the same everywhere.
Thus, many active forum users are NOT, but hey, this is normal, racers dont care to waste time sharing their secrets and experiences on a forum, thats just how it is...

Also, many newcomers buy the same equipment as the racers, as this is all they see almost - and it sometimes takes a couple of years till they find out "what they want", meaning whether it was spot on, or useless (in the long run) :naughty:

8) PF

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:03 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
bigtone667 wrote:Below 10knots, 17m Cloud (My 100kg needs that size kite to lift me onto the board). Easily over-powered one I am up and running.
That was my case with my previous Flysurfer Speed2 15m ; in that case I advise you to decrease your kite size up to the correct power when foiling-up and park&ride ( say 14-15m or less), and add line extensions (say 5-10 meters) to allow waterstart with this smaller kite. Now with my 12m and +5 meters, I have the same low end waterstart (even better thanks to increased manoeuvrability) and a more compfortable ride even in hyper light wind, using less trim and better kite control. And by the way you save one size ...
I had just purchased some 5m and 15m lines for that purpose. Hoping to fly just the 13.5 cloud with extensions. But was thinking i might get down 7 or 8 knots on 17 with extensions as well.

Very worthwhile experimentation.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:59 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Regis-de-giens wrote:
bigtone667 wrote:Below 10knots, 17m Cloud (My 100kg needs that size kite to lift me onto the board). Easily over-powered one I am up and running.
That was my case with my previous Flysurfer Speed2 15m ; in that case I advise you to decrease your kite size up to the correct power when foiling-up and park&ride ( say 14-15m or less), and add line extensions (say 5-10 meters) to allow waterstart with this smaller kite. Now with my 12m and +5 meters, I have the same low end waterstart (even better thanks to increased manoeuvrability) and a more compfortable ride even in hyper light wind, using less trim and better kite control. And by the way you save one size ...
I had just purchased some 5m and 15m lines for that purpose. Hoping to fly just the 13.5 cloud with extensions. But was thinking i might get down 7 or 8 knots on 17 with extensions as well.

Very worthwhile experimentation.
Agree, in fact if you got "standard lines" around 21-23 meter only, I would ALWAYS ride with 5m extensions, also on smaller kites, if you are not racing :D

It gives a much better general ride, especially in carves (and waves also) instead of on/off like on "short" lines, and IMO "normal" lines are short in hydrofoil terms, whereas 25-27m are "normal" lines for hydrofoiling - so I have two different sets of bars now, actually three as also with long hydrofoil lines 30-32m for big kites 11-12m2 in marginal wind 5-7 knots @77kg.
But even when powered with my 5m2 in waves, I never go shorter than my 25-27m.
Have tried it lately once again when out on my surfboard with a 5m2 when the wind dropped, so just switched to hydrofoilboard only, and found it useless for smooth carving and turning and power delivery, at least for me :x

And with bigger kites and if heavier, it should be even more pronounced, that a bit longer lines works much better :naughty:

8) PF

MaxVMG1
Rare Poster
Style: Racing
Gear: Racing Kit
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby MaxVMG1 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:22 am

R1V2 17m... good for 5knots, sweet till 15knots! near to being my favorite kite in my quiver!
Had it out on 15m lines today on 55cm bar, (and could have gone even shorter on lines.) in super gusty winter winds 5-15knots. Looping through foiling gybes using one hand only and with mountains of room to spare.
super stoked on this kite.
In very marginal winds (6-7knots) iv'e used it on 21m lines and im 90kg riding spotz3, and can imagine on 25m lines it would even easier to get going in light winds.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:40 pm

I assume that during the summer season more kiters joined the hydrofoil "fever" :congrats:
So can we reach the statistical 100 votes mark :) ?

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:47 am

I used to use a 17m Edge for ultimate low wind freeride and it was very good - but I decided to give a 15m Chrono 2 a try and haven't looked back for light winds. Where the 17m Edge would fall out of the sky in light winds, the 15m Chrono 2 just hovers and feels so nice in the air.

Tobytobias
Rare Poster
Gear: Moses vorace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tobytobias » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:40 am

i ve cast my vote for my strut less 17m lei. But echo Peter franks comments re racers vs free riders. I freeride and this kite was loads cheaper new than a foil kite and still has adequate low wind performance and some relaunch ability and turns quicker than a
Lot of high aspect kites. Packs as small and is very forgiving to fly.
I think we may see more strut less and mono strut lei kites being used by non racers mainly due to cost and familiarity of how they fly/ relaunch and the larger manufacturers making them such as north mono, rrd etc.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:21 pm

TheRussian wrote:I used to use a 17m Edge for ultimate low wind freeride and it was very good - but I decided to give a 15m Chrono 2 a try and haven't looked back for light winds. Where the 17m Edge would fall out of the sky in light winds, the 15m Chrono 2 just hovers and feels so nice in the air.
Yep. Sub 10 knot lei is a lot harder to keep In the air. They are fine once apparent Is going and while you are flying them actively. But when you are stalled for a water start watch out. The foil just sits there waiting.

Return to “Hydrofoil”