Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

first 360 hydrofoil from Marc blanc !

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: first 360 hydrofoil from Marc blanc !

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Sergio,
I copy here your nice success video. Congratulation again !
I see that you sometime finish by a loop and sometime not. What are the pro an cons ?

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi Regis,

thank you, nothing special about the loop. You have to enter the manouver with a half kite loop and you have to exit it the same way. While entering requires a downloop for maximum force it is not important how to leave as at that point the manouver has been done anyway. It is the same when I start in no wind, I just do it like occasion feels better or where I find more wind window space to loop.

Want to try it again in the near future with a more "conventional setup". While also the last one was a conventional high wind race setup, it was just way out of its own windrange. So want to try bigger kites to maybe make it a more "every day manouver" but not sure yet if it will work.

Also wonder a bit, that I have never seen a video from anybody else (apart Marc for sure) as it is not so hard and equipment not so special at all. But maybe most about that you have to use equipment not fitting to conditions. If there will be anytime a race where the wind drops hard from 35 knts to 10 knts I want to have all those racers with extremly higher abbility than me seeing to do it, best all together one behind another, should look great :rollgrin:

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:29 pm

I agree with you about the beauty of the trick !
I think the rare videos reason are :
- unuseful trick
- fear to swim every time you fail
- idea is quite recent.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:47 am

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:13 pm

This one is well catch and very nice. I dream to do it one day

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:32 am

:thumb: Really nice one overall and big respect doing it in so high winds.

May be he profit a bit from the wind shadow not just for the waves, but I did the same.
Want to try it also again after two years with now better kites has to work, hope to come back with a new video perspective. :)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:22 pm

We are impatient to see this and maybe one time several 360 in a row like with buggy's

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:31 pm

Do you think a heavier kite might actually work a little better for this. Would give it a bit more inertia to swing through the tough part.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:17 am

@Regis: Will take a bit as before taking a camera I want to now learn it again repeatable in a wider range of conditions and setups, which I actually test. Infinity would be cool, but I think, we are actually far from that.
@jumptheshark: Don't think you profit at any point from a heavier kite, as intertia of kite is less important than the glide ratio and to produce enough apparent wind to give the kite at least close to 5 knt from the other side that it "can pass the luv wind window part"

Therefore biggest respect to the guy with the core of the new video, who has finally shown that it is possible to foil through, even with a tube, which should be more difficult in my eyes.
Further more it is very important to be able to try it more than once, so to have a kite that relaunchs in the given conditions, once again, hard with a small tube.
Anyway if you want to learn relaunching out of most difficult Drops while low wind Situation, the galactical will be your best teacher :wink: :lol: .

To document and share some experience:
Rider: 62 kg, old levitaz aspect3 stabi foil on oldest spongy 110 cm strut (still think 96 cm would be better); freerace custom or old levitaz exo board.

Tried it yesterday with 11 m flying lines on my 6,3 m² sonic² which is a overall system length of 18 m (bar to topend of canopy) and was succesful at least two times, most time waiting for less wind < 10 knts
Starting and handling to do clean start loops on 11 m was pretty shitty again, but the succesful galacticals have been very nice, relaxed and save with this a bit shorter setup. I was pretty fast around, without having to be too fast myself. My logger documented not more than 35 km/h (think intervall is ca.1 sec) ... which in theory would even still be in my actuall monofoil speedrange, but in reallity for sure not in a freehanded situation as you are faceing at top speed within the galactical, with the need of full control :wink: . Still quite funny, but not the flaish of the first ones 2 years ago :)

I think depending from all other aspects as: foil glide ratio-speed range, kite type, rider, etc. to find the best and easiest system length is one of the most important things to test for everybody, so 18 m should be a good starting point. As far I was able to meter, I think the guy with the core used around 16-17 m system length.

Today I tried to push it into a more "normal" setup with 13 m flying lines and therefore 20 m system length and therefore with the exo as a normal small freestyle board. Just tried short and just made a few ones but just the way as on the video from Marc Blanc, so kite flying around, but not full foil flying. But I would expect I will be also able to do this on 20 m, when better learned. And this would be interesting, as this setup starts to require already faster more dangerous Speeds, but should be still ok and on the other hand is also still pretty "normal" so should be able to do all other freestyle with it and normal manouvers, when I better learned the timing.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:08 pm

Thanks for the detail tuto. From what i can theoretically analyse i agree with you. And indeed doing this on a tube certainly needs more speed and as you said he clearly benefit from the wind shadow to keep line tensioned.

Weight is to me clearly a disadvantage since with a light kite you do not need to go as fast downwind (v= real wind plus minimum wind to keep the kite in the air) . With a lighter kite the second term is lower . In a wind whadow the first term is lower. IMO at least.

Return to “Hydrofoil”