A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Tycha
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bouches du Rhône
Gear: Freug s
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: first 360 hydrofoil from Marc blanc !

Postby Tycha » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Icharus wrote:Was that video "marc blanc" taken at Rosas by any chance ? I was foiling there a couple of weeks ago with a talented Frenchie. I couldn't make out if he was trying to demonstrate the flying gybe to me or if he was taunting my ineptitude! by showing off in front of me - the former I hope - but he was certainly skilled - and I saw him try this move with a 5M bandit in about 10 knots. It certainly looks like the same guy.
Yes, he was near Rosas.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:12 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
OzBungy wrote:.. A Deadman used to be an upside down, no hands jump. The 360 doesn't look all that suicidal.
My words >60 km/h straight is for sure much more suicidal on a foil than any 360 and buggy kiting at all, without jumping, never looks very suicidal to me but more like wheel chair sport :P
Have you ever tried to kite buggy let alone a deadman turn in one?

What happens if you stuff up on the water? splash into the water no injury 99 % of the time.

Now imagine doing the same thing (except a lot faster!) on the hard sand. You are hard wired (chicken loop attached directly to the frame) into a 50kg plus machine. If you stuff up the chance of flipping the buggy and getting dragged upside down on your head is very high. You will continue to get dragged on your head until you pull the safety. It's pretty bloody hard to pull the safety when you are being dragged with a 50kg machine on top of you. Better hope that wheels haven't run over the lines or the safety wont work at....

From the outside looking in buggying looks easy. As you describe it looks like (wheelchair sports). But the risk level is a lot higher than kiting on the water. Particularly once you start going fast and pulling risky tricks.

Icharus
Medium Poster
Gear: foil
Been thanked: 0

Postby Icharus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:55 pm

Tycha wrote:
Icharus wrote:Was that video "marc blanc" taken at Rosas by any chance ? I was foiling there a couple of weeks ago with a talented Frenchie. I couldn't make out if he was trying to demonstrate the flying gybe to me or if he was taunting my ineptitude! by showing off in front of me - the former I hope - but he was certainly skilled - and I saw him try this move with a 5M bandit in about 10 knots. It certainly looks like the same guy.
Yes, he was near Rosas.
Cool

Nice guy - I feel better now - knowing he has been foiling for at least 5 years ! makes me feel less inadequate!

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:12 pm

plummet wrote:
Horst Sergio wrote:
OzBungy wrote:.. A Deadman used to be an upside down, no hands jump. The 360 doesn't look all that suicidal.
My words >60 km/h straight is for sure much more suicidal on a foil than any 360 and buggy kiting at all, without jumping, never looks very suicidal to me but more like wheel chair sport :P
Have you ever tried to kite buggy let alone a deadman turn in one?

What happens if you stuff up on the water? splash into the water no injury 99 % of the time.

Now imagine doing the same thing (except a lot faster!) on the hard sand. You are hard wired (chicken loop attached directly to the frame) into a 50kg plus machine. If you stuff up the chance of flipping the buggy and getting dragged upside down on your head is very high. You will continue to get dragged on your head until you pull the safety. It's pretty bloody hard to pull the safety when you are being dragged with a 50kg machine on top of you. Better hope that wheels haven't run over the lines or the safety wont work at....

From the outside looking in buggying looks easy. As you describe it looks like (wheelchair sports). But the risk level is a lot higher than kiting on the water. Particularly once you start going fast and pulling risky tricks.
Ok, I take it back: Buggy kiting is not wheel chair sport :) .
And yes I have just very low experience in buggies. When I was kiting on land 15 years ago most time I was with a land board till I was coming to the same conclusion as you, that water most time is softer than land :wink:

What I wanted to say is for someone who can handle a kite it is way more easy to learn a "deadman 360" in a buggy than doing something similar on a foil, and it will also be way less risky. I think when you started foiling you might come to the same result. And water can be hard as land when driving more than 50 km/h and your head is catapulted down from more than 2,5 m. :-? And also the foil needn't weight 50 kg as your buggy, to cut you.
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2392738&start=30

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:29 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
plummet wrote:
Horst Sergio wrote:
Snip...

What I wanted to say is for someone who can handle a kite it is way more easy to learn a "deadman 360" in a buggy than doing something similar on a foil, and it will also be way less risky. I think when you started foiling you might come to the same result. And water can be hard as land when driving more than 50 km/h and your head is catapulted down from more than 2,5 m. :-? And also the foil needn't weight 50 kg as your buggy, to cut you.
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2392738&start=30
Agree 100% Horst, this is why it is truly amazing to see it done on the water where you havent got any "easier" ways with enertia/low friction like on land - AWESOME :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

8) PF

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Sure there is no doubt in my mind that it is harder doing a deadman turn on a hydrofoil. Until a couple of weeks ago we didn't even know if it was possible.

As for danger level. If you are doing the deadman in superlight wind yes its less dangerous in the buggy. Do them in 30 knots...... different story.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:12 am

Good morning :)

On Tape! :D

:D Yesterday I was close to puke, as the wind was too low and had just two tries and additionally around 1 h hour to swim. Wanted to elongate the lines as actually they are to short to get going and the entrance is to hard. Hadn`t the time to shorten but anyway today I tried for 1/2 h in chanching and sometimes too strong wind but made two which are now on the tape. The better one just on the breast cam, but a version with a shortcutted end but also full foiled is also on a video from the beach.
Mischa will put it online today on http://kitejunkie.com/blog/?p=260736&preview=true or on a other link he will post here, some pics of the tries:
vlcsnap-2702-09-06-20h29m37s299.png
vlcsnap-9014-09-22-04h39m03s447.png
vlcsnap-6156-03-24-09h12m52s482.png
Have a nice day :D

poldo
Frequent Poster

Postby poldo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:04 am

Hi great attempt! :thumb:

I think that with a foil kite should be more easy (less difficult) compared to a tube kite because of the more inertia when flying. I've seen video of 360 made standing (no bauggy no sky....on feet) on land in very low wind with foil kites...not with pump kites. With a pump kite the rider have do to the pass downwind of the kite faster beacuse of the less kite inertia

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Jun 24, 2016 12:04 pm

I did try a few times yesterday.
First 7m Chrono (foil) on 19m lines, then 5m Chrono (foil) on 14m lines and in the end 6m Enduro (tube) on 14m lines.
Did not feel super big difference regarding difficulty.
Could not really make it more than half way round then lost momentum.
(Got footage of attempts with first two kites, but think I'll keep it for analyzing purpose)
Maybe the closest was on the 6m tube, but while saying that it was what I used in the end, after a few attempts before.
I think I was a little too underpowered and start to think that a bigger kite, like a 9m could make it easier.
Was also using the 15m R1 V2 the same day to start the day and to finish the day.
Will see the next few sessions how it goes with different kites and some other different ideas.
Riding strapless only by the way, but do not really feel it makes a difference for this move.

Cheers,
Frank
http://www.kite-hydrofoil.de
http://www.facebook.com/kitehydrofoilde

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:33 pm

Return to “Hydrofoil”