New to HF - kites advice

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New to HF - kites advice

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:34 pm

jaros wrote:Hi,
I do not know aboute Flite 14,5, but I have been using Flite 10 (2015 model) for hydrofoiling last summer. while it was a great kite, ok for foiling, but my current strutless kites (storm voyagers) stay in the air in considerable less wind than the Flite. That was the reason i started to look for other kites for hydrofoil. Maybe the bigger Flites are better in this (hanging in the air in marginal winds) but i was a little dissapointed over the flite 10 in this aspect. Other than that a great kite!
Greetings!
Agree somewhat with you, if it was marginal wind and such a big kite, that a superlight kite like the Storm (I have ridden the Voyager many times also) is perfect.

But he does not ride in "your" marginal wind - remember the 14.5 corresponds to an 11m2 for an average weight, where the "lightness" of the kite is not as important as from 12m2 and up, where it is "needed" much more.

My 9m2 "normal" (= strong and heavier) wavekite has no problems at all as it is primarily used in 10-11 knots, and not light wind.

Those here being average weight find the Flite 13m2 spot on, and not too heavy - thus my guess would be that the 14.5 with a 27% heavier rider would work fine.

Dont know if correct, but that is my estimation.

8) Peter

maximlg253
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblades, Zeeko hydrofoil
Been thanked: 0

Postby maximlg253 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:55 pm

Thanks to everyone for advises. I just bought a used Chrono v2 15m, hope it should do. For higher winds, I ordered Apollo 9m, haven't received it yet.

Joseph phan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont shore
Favorite Beaches: Belmont shore
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot alien air with lift
Has thanked: 0

Postby Joseph phan » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:46 pm

Into my 2nd month of hydrofoiling. Started out with a slingshot alienair nf2 lift medium aspect. Using 9m n 12m rally slingshot. My weight is 160 lb. From 12 to 16, I use the 12m. From 16 to 20 I use the 9m. This week, I upgraded to moses vorace hf, race foIL board. Faster and harder to balance. No jibe or tack yet...!
If this will help; I think your cabrinha is too heavy and too much bar pressure, also the cabrinha does not have better depower range like other brands like core or fone, or slingshot.
Secondly, don't go out if wind is under 15mph. It's just make you more confuse and frustrated. I saw some other came out with a 17m to learn, he went up but soon, he either overpower or drop his kite. So not on my book, if I start over again.
The thing about foiling is that as soon as you get up and foil, the apparent wind is so powerful that will make your normal kite size with tt instantly overpower.
So try that and see if you find my experience is helpful.

Joseph phan
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Belmont shore
Favorite Beaches: Belmont shore
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot alien air with lift
Has thanked: 0

Postby Joseph phan » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:24 pm

HI MarianoMo,
The differences between inflatable and foil kite can define in variables.
1. HF is better with a foil kite, because lighter bar pressure, smoother ride and it's an art to fly a foil kite. However, a's beginner, it's better to learn with LEI.
2. Very good in light wind, as long as you can feel and understand how to fly a foil kite. Especially with a 15m or bigger kite.
3. Foil kite is a lot slower in movement than LEI, so it will take sometimes to get use to.
4. Apparent wind in foil kite is crazy fast, in light wind day, you can almost triple the speed of the actual wind speed.
That's why most racer use foil kite. I am a begginer too, but when I start using foil kite, it's hard to go back, because I love the way it handled. Ultimately, anyone who start foiling should fear not taking on challenge, so why not fly a foil kite! It's sure make you a much better kiter.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Joseph phan wrote: It's sure make you a much better kiter.
Especially that part. Whenever I go back to an inflatable I feel like I'm on super-easy mode...foil kites have probably improved my overall skill level more than the hydrofoil has.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:05 pm

Joseph phan wrote:HI MarianoMo,
The differences between inflatable and foil kite can define in variables.
1. HF is better with a foil kite, because lighter bar pressure, smoother ride and it's an art to fly a foil kite. However, a's beginner, it's better to learn with LEI.
2. Very good in light wind, as long as you can feel and understand how to fly a foil kite. Especially with a 15m or bigger kite.
3. Foil kite is a lot slower in movement than LEI, so it will take sometimes to get use to.
4. Apparent wind in foil kite is crazy fast, in light wind day, you can almost triple the speed of the actual wind speed.
That's why most racer use foil kite. I am a begginer too, but when I start using foil kite, it's hard to go back, because I love the way it handled. Ultimately, anyone who start foiling should fear not taking on challenge, so why not fly a foil kite! It's sure make you a much better kiter.
Well, one could also recommend/defend the exact opposite - meaning it only shows ones personal preference or bias :roll:

1. HF is better with a LEI kite, because you get much better feedback from the kite, smoother ride as you dont have the extreme peak when looped wide, nor the gutless pivot turn - but LEIs has smooth power in all kind of turns.
2. Light LEI kites excel in light wind, as they can hang in low and gusty winds, unlike foilkites that collapse easy, and IF a foilkite go down for too long or in marginal wind, you are fucked... Whereas it is much safer and you can ride on soon after with a LEI.
3. Foil kite is a lot slower in movement than LEI, so it does not feel and work as good for anything fun, say freestyle or waves.
4. Apparent wind in foil kite is crazy fast, in light wind day, so they work really bad for toeside and freestyle.

Soooo, one can always defend both types, thus we see so many different opinions and likings both on this forum, but also out in the "real world" :naughty:

8) PF

Return to “Hydrofoil”