Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

LP FRS Foil reviews?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator
Brand Affiliation: None

LP FRS Foil reviews?

Postby pikovsg » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:56 am

Looks very promising. Has anyone rode the new LP FRS foil yet?

http://www.lpfoils.com/#!product-page/c ... adf8284543

stoked60
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: LP FRS Foil reviews?

Postby stoked60 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:11 pm

Got to try one out for a couple of sessions. New to foiling so can't say too much. This was only my 5th or 6th time on a foil. Was on the bigger wing and taller mast. Seemed very smooth, stable, and went as fast (faster sometimes :rollgrin: )as I would want to for now. Construction looks really high quality and durable. Would be great to hear what some more experienced foilers think.

They also make the silencer foil for slingshot I think. There are some good videos showing how the foil is assembled on YouTube if you search for slingshot silencer foil.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:49 pm

My buddy has the SS silencer. Super light and stiff. No idea how it rides as he shreds on anything.

Only issue is ease of dissasembly. Not a foil you would want to break down for anything but long haul travel.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:15 pm

Starsky wrote:Only issue is ease of dissasembly. Not a foil you would want to break down for anything but long haul travel.
I have a friend who rode the LP foil during a regatta and he said the same thing. Great foil, nightmare to take apart compared to the Spotz3 which is 2 bolts.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:22 pm

Mossy 757 wrote:
Starsky wrote:Only issue is ease of dissasembly. Not a foil you would want to break down for anything but long haul travel.
I have a friend who rode the LP foil during a regatta and he said the same thing. Great foil, nightmare to take apart compared to the Spotz3 which is 2 bolts.
But honestly, unless you are flying, how often do you have to take it apart ???

We dont around here...

8) Peter

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:06 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mossy 757 wrote:
But honestly, unless you are flying, how often do you have to take it apart ???

We dont around here...

8) Peter
Agree, when it comes to making a purchasing decision, as far as comprimises go that one's mostly negligible.

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:34 pm

I bought one with the larger 720 wing, long mast, Assembly isnt really difficult ( takes 3 or 4 minutes max) but you would not want to do it at the beach, the fit of parts and quality of construction is the best I've seen so far, as stated its super stiff and super light, Cant wait to ride it but thats weeks away at the earliest.
It appears to me that the silencer mast and fuse is identical ( assembly is the same), I'd like to hear from someone who has tried them both back to back , one friend said he rode it back to back with an MHL and said its user friendly , faster than MHL and lighter , ( its definitely lighter than my MHL)

SurfHenk
Rare Poster

Postby SurfHenk » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:18 am

I have found a great deal on a slightly used LP foil (and matching LP Maverick board) and therefore am trying to revive this topic..
After having read all I can find on the LP foil, which all dates back from is original release date in 2016 or soon after, I hope to find some more recent views here. From previous posts it seems clear the LP is not the easiest to assemble and disassemble, but is light and strong.
I have read several reports of it being "pitch sensitive" as well as being "slightly off". Also, the few videos I found of the LP in action show nice long straight glides, but little to no manouvers (gybes, tacks, ...).
I therefore wonder whether indeed the LP is too twitchy, compared to more recent offerings.
A contribution of a happy user of the LP would certainly help and reassure me. I have until now not found any reports of satisfied owners??
FYI, I am looking for a foil with relatively good performance but no race monster, which lends itself to freeriding and learning tacks and gybes and hopefully more advanced tricks thereafter.
Thank you!

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:33 am

Tried quite a few LPs. Fantastic boards, but not good foils. Mostly meant for racing, but not balanced. Much better foils out there - Moses and Lift are my favs.

SurfHenk
Rare Poster

Postby SurfHenk » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:19 pm

Thank you pikovsg for the reply and valuable input.
The fact you mention the LP foils are "not good", does sound quite strongly.
Maybe other (ex) owners can comment on its behavior, especially those still using it today?
Personally, the more complicated assembly proces does not really bother me as the construction seems sound. But if the ride characteristics are off that clearly is a deal breaker..
Last edited by SurfHenk on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”