Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Overview Boxes and Plates

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Overview Boxes and Plates

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:30 pm

davesails7 wrote:Delta uses the same tuttle box as spotz. I've never seen a spotz with anything but tuttle.

I don't think the taaroa boards are deep tuttle. I think they are pro box. Taaroa foils are available with pro, tuttle, or deep tuttle heads though.
But Spotz is not Tuttle ? It is the Chinook where a Tuttle can fit, something between Tuttle and Deep Tuttle.

Amazing so much confusion about this - but thats why it is good to find out what is what :thumb:

Those having a board/foil of those we doubt, like Taaroa, should be able to tell us straight away, at least what size/type their board uses :rollgrin:

8) PF

davesails7
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 75 kg
Local Beach: Virginia Beach
Style: Race
Gear: ML B3
R1V2 11. VMG 13, 15, 18
OR Mako 130x35

Postby davesails7 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:06 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:Those having a board/foil of those we doubt, like Taaroa, should be able to tell us straight away, at least what size/type their board uses :rollgrin:
Not neccesarily! After all, I thought my spotz was a standard tuttle ;) spotz and delta both describe it as tuttle. Who knows haha. Call it a medium-tuttle?

I've talked to people with the taaroa board who thought it was a deep tuttle, but after just checking the website, it is in fact a pro box. You can also order the sword 2 in deep tuttle and tuttle to fit other boards.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:12 pm

davesails7 wrote:
Peter_Frank wrote:Those having a board/foil of those we doubt, like Taaroa, should be able to tell us straight away, at least what size/type their board uses :rollgrin:
Not neccesarily! After all, I thought my spotz was a standard tuttle ;) spotz and delta both describe it as tuttle. Who knows haha. Call it a medium-tuttle?

I've talked to people with the taaroa board who thought it was a deep tuttle, but after just checking the website, it is in fact a pro box. You can also order the sword 2 in deep tuttle and tuttle to fit other boards.
Dont "think" - just measure the head depth on your mast and the max depth in the box, thats easy :thumb:
Thats what I meant that those having a board/foil could tell straight away, now we know there are one more "medium" Tuttle except for the original Tuttle standards he hee :naughty:

Agree that the brands are even worse at describing what they use, not good role models for something SO important for us buyers :(

8) Peter

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby baxterbradford » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:27 pm

Great initiative to collect this data Peter.
I have a Spotz 2 from Feb 2015 (owned from new), the dimensions of the Tuttle head are the same as Gunnar's with the exception that it's 1mm shorter on length. This is because I have had to file some if it away to fit my Temavento Custom board so that the surface lies flush with base of board. It stood 2-3mm proud when I got it. Jimmy makes custom carbon boxes to fit the Tuttle heads instead of using the Chinook box.
The max vertical height at from of the foil head is 58mm.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:45 pm

baxterbradford wrote:Great initiative to collect this data Peter.
I have a Spotz 2 from Feb 2015 (owned from new), the dimensions of the Tuttle head are the same as Gunnar's with the exception that it's 1mm shorter on length. This is because I have had to file some if it away to fit my Temavento Custom board so that the surface lies flush with base of board. It stood 2-3mm proud when I got it. Jimmy makes custom carbon boxes to fit the Tuttle heads instead of using the Chinook box.
The max vertical height at from of the foil head is 58mm.
Thanks - could you take a picture directly from the side of the head, quality not important ?

I'll give you my email over the private messages, then I'll add this quite used standard to the overview picture, and till anyone can tell what its called, it will be Chinook Medium Tuttle for now :rollgrin:

To Davesails - I know what you meant - you are right as it is difficult to know WHAT the standards are/were, so you dont know what you got except for what they write or others think, so that should be the point of this thread, that we all get wiser and have a reference to refer to or check up against if in doubt :D

8) PF

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:56 pm

The default Taaroa setup is the Pro Box. As said before, they can do a deep Tuttle or normal Tuttle as well.

FYI the BangaFoil (Mario Calbucci rides these) are available as normal or deep Tuttle.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:List of board/foil box/plate systems
Updated 20160810 19:41 UTC

Ketos
Boards: KFBox one screw.
Foils: KFBox one screw.
A 110x165/175/190mm carbon adapter is offered.
Meaning boards should be compatible with two screw KFBox if drilling two new holes.

Takoon
Boards: KFBox one screw.
Foils: KFBox one screw (Ketos production).
Meaning boards should be compatible with two screw KFBox if drilling two new holes.

F-One
Boards: KFBox two screws.
Foils: KFBox two screws.
Meaning boards should be compatible with one screw masts if drilling a center hole.

Alpine
Boards: KFBox one screw or 2 Screws if ordering with Ultimate or Titanium Foils. Alpine will install a second hole if requested on all boards.
Foils: KFBox one screw standard or 2 screws standard if ordering Ultimate or Titanium Foils. Alpine will install a second screw if requested on all foils.
Boards compatible with two screw KFBox if drilling two new holes.
KFBox adapter to 4 bolt mount available for carbon foils.
Replacement heads for Aluminum foils provide KFBox, Tuttle Box, or 4 Bolt Plate mounting options.

TheKiteFoil
Boards: KFBox adjustable position two screws (but one could be used also, great idea with the long track).
Foils: KFBox two screws, or plate ??x???mm.
Or any other box on the foil head on request.

Sroka Foil
Boards: ProBox.
Foils: ProBox.

Taaroa
Boards: ProBox.
Foils: ProBox. Also offering Std or Deep Tuttle ? KFBox 2 or 1 screw ?

Horue
Std Tuttle and/or Deep Tuttle ?

Spotz
Boards: Chinook Medium Tuttle.
Foils: Chinook Medium Tuttle. Also offering Probox ? KFBox 2 or 1 screw ?
The Std Tuttle heads can also be used in Medium Tuttle boards, and Chinook Medium Tuttle heads can be used in Deep Tuttle boards, but Deep Tuttle heads can not be used in Chinook Medium Tuttle.

Axis
Foils: Chinook Medium Tuttle.
The Std Tuttle heads can also be used in Medium Tuttle boards, and Chinook Medium Tuttle heads can be used in Deep Tuttle boards, but Deep Tuttle heads can not be used in Chinook Medium Tuttle.

Delta
Foils: Chinook Medium Tuttle.

Zeeko
Boards: 85x160mm plate.
Foils: 85-90x160-165mm plate with slots for 6-8mm screws. Or Std Tuttle offered on carbon masts.
Foils before 2015: 85x165mm plate.
Older and newer Zeeko foils fits all zeeko boards old and new. New foils fit other brands 90x165mm boards. Boards does not fit other brand 90x165mm foils though.

Moses
Boards: 90x165mm plate 6mm screws.
Foils: 90x165mm plate 7mm holes.
Boards/foils till around 2014/15 plate 68x148mm 7mm holes 6mm screws.

Levitaz
Boards: 90x165mm plate 8mm screws.
Foils: 90x165mm plate 10mm holes.

Liquid Force
Boards: 90x140mm plate.
Foils: 90x140mm plate.
Fixed in Funny Foil and Foil Fish board.
Sliding 90mm width in Happy Foil board.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:17 am

It seems there is a fourth "Extra Deep Tuttle" also, which is around 80mm in depth :naughty:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:28 am

Slalom/Race windsurfers has told me the Tuttle standards uses 6mm (M6) screws and not 7mm - can anyone confirm if this goes for the hydrofoils too, or are they or some using 7mm instead, as described ?

8) PF

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:48 am

Did not know there were 7mm screws.
And the chinook Tuttle is probably deeper to accommodate more brands of fins so they don't top out and not mate properly with the taper.
So really a std Tuttle.
And from my experience std Tuttle heads fit fine in deep Tuttle boxes. You just need correct length bolts. 6mm or 1/4 whitworth.

Return to “Hydrofoil”