Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

2016 HydroFoil Pro Tour – Mauritius (Pointe d'Esny Beach), Day 2

Postby Toby » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:12 pm

HydroFoil Pro Tour

2016 HydroFoil Pro Tour – Mauritius (Pointe d'Esny Beach), Day 2

1 hydro.jpg
Parlier continues his streak of perfect scores.
Four more races are in the books marking the halfway point at this highlight event in the Indian Ocean. Another day of strong breeze and clear waters was the perfect setting for this global hydrofoiling circuit.

To succeed in such a long series of races it takes strength and stamina but Frenchman Nico Parlier seems to possess something even greater. “His posture looks comfortable and his maneuvers are flawless” exclaimed Pro Kite Racer Nicolas Landauer. “At this point he looks unbeatable.” With his string of first place finishes Parlier’s score line makes the famed ‘picket fence’ formation. Viewers responding on the live broadcast questioned whether or not he could continue the streak.

Hot on the heels of Parlier however is young British sailor Oliver Bridge. Bridge was leading several races at the upwind mark in today’s sailing. With top-end speed and tactics he attributes his success to the specialized hydrofoil and kite combination he’s running. “Yeah upwind I am going really well, getting to the windward mark in first in quite a few races. I seem to be going the same angle but with more speed than the other riders.” Bridge leads the youth division by five points just ahead of 2016 European Champion Axel Mazella (France). “I have been training with my mother (decorated champion Steph Bridge) and brother (Guy Bridge). They are both very fast which helps to push me very hard during practice.” With fifteen competitors in the youth division there’s a bright look to the future of kiteboard hydrofoiling.

Youth division participants traveled from points abound including Russia, USA, Dubai, Australia and also boasts a good sized Mauritian contingent led by Jean de Falbaire currently in 9th place overall.

Daniela Moroz (USA), Marvin Baumeister (Australia), and Richard Bates (New Zealand) are currently leading the ladies, masters, and grandmasters divisions respectively. Racing starts at 1130hrs (GMT +4) on Friday and 1200hrs (GMT +4) on Saturday.

Mens
1. NICO PARLIER – 8pts
2. JOHNNY HEINEKEN – 20pts
3. MAXIME NOCHER – 26pts
4. OLIVER BRIDGE – 30pts
5. AXEL MAZELLA – 34pts

Female
1. DANIELA MOROZ – 134pts
2. ELENA KALININA – 168pts
3. GINA HEWSON – 197.8pts

Youth
1. OLIVER BRIDGE – 30pt