Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Monofoil or "riding stabless", setup and riding

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:57 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:33 am
Oyvind, Does Ketos sell this "fuselage online? Does Moses have something similar?
Unfortunately I haven't seen any brand making the first step to offer a serial 0-fuselage and as market is till now still small up to not existing, it's easy to understand.
On the other Hand, according to construction for many brands it would be pretty easy to produce 0-fuselages, so lets see who will be the brave to do the first step. :)
But if you have a Moses Onda for example, try first to just disassemble the back wing and if you like it, try to build your own 0-fuselage, should work great.

@Øyvind
Great new video and very nice board and overall combo :thumb: I am a fan :D

This is what I basicly wanted to bring monofoiling to:
A super small setup that fits disassembled into normal flight luggage, but will produce more fun in more conditions as any traditional board can.

I am planning a similar board since … beginning of this topic :oops: :lol: , but always do small plan corrections with increasing experience, so didn't send it to my shaper yet, but now I hope to be close to it :wink: .
It actually is going to have a "steptail" (tested last days) and a kitefoil box for ketos mono foils :wink: .

Completely different style I am actually into, but also fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ8eNtHP2w4

Øyvind
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Najomtien, Thailand
Favorite Beaches: Najomtien, Thailand
Style: hydrofoil
Gear: BRM kites, Kanaha board & Ketos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Øyvind » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi Horst.

I`m glad you created this post-tread, and that I came across it.
Thanks to you I tried stabless, and I agree with you, that this is going to catch on.
Yes, the fuselage is custom made here at the local kite-club, They also made my pink board.
I`m guessing foil manufactures companies will start making these in the future. And that stabless will become more popular.
Trying to go back to using stabilizer, is a real eye-opener. Surprising amount of extra drag, and resistance to turns.
Here`s another video from today:
Cheers, Oyvind.
https://youtu.be/XC7mSNEtDo4

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:27 pm

Amazing Øyvind :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The stabless fits your extreme fast turning spot on :naughty:

For us mere mortals who cant do shit, compared, it makes no sense but a disadvantage really :roll:

But you make it rock, respect :rollgrin:

8) Peter

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Sep 22, 2018 4:20 am

I think advantages are huge - lower weight, simplicity, lower cost, less bulky, lower price.

I believe that arrowhead, swept back wings directly attached to the mast will serve great for that purpose.

Going to borrow H4 and ride it like this. Stoked!
Attachments
937DBB2C-68BC-4A28-9498-5827E3AA6C5F.jpeg
937DBB2C-68BC-4A28-9498-5827E3AA6C5F.jpeg (57.37 KiB) Viewed 3153 times

Wazza Foil
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hams
Style: Kite surfing strapless. Foil, SUP and ka
Gear: lots

Postby Wazza Foil » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:43 am

This may help skill development
Attachments
20180922_184004.jpg
20180922_184004.jpg (98.29 KiB) Viewed 3076 times

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:01 pm

Indeed Wazza Foil, and moved forward a bit to keep the turning dynamics "good" and well balanced :thumb:

8) PF

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:40 pm

thinking of trying this tomorrow with the Moses 683 or 633. Any tips for a first go ? should I try with shorter mast first or doesn't matter?

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:14 am

Hi (now it starts that we can call us:) monofoiling community :wink: :D

@grigorib:
I think the H4 should work very good to get started. For long term it might have not all the benefits as super low drag and therefore also not great light wind and small kite ability as it will have due to its size and form have quite a lot drag and also will be more for strapless freestyle than for Jumping for sure, which need not to be a problem.
If you like it, it will be very easy to build a 0-fuselage here by getting 3-4 x 0-fuselages out of one long fuselage by cutting it into pieces.
But don't forget to find someting to give the cutted tail a new added hydrodynamic tail.
I am sure without you will feel its extra drag even on a H4.

@airsurfer:
Try it with 90 cm or even 100 cm strut. 110 is unnecessary long for normal wings (but won't be more difficult) and 80 cm and lower will just shorten your time to feel the balance point before your wing is surfacing. Could be, that short struts as 80 cm and shorter are even more nervous. Only reason I want one for myself is wave, travel and as with monos, when you are already skilled, you can go shorter as surfacing does not necesarily mean catapult as on a stabifoil.

@Øyvind:
Yes I also learned this:
People will feel the low drag sensation not on the first day. But when you get started to get used to it and then switch back to a stabi foil you will feel how draggy these things are. :wink:

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 am

Self stabilising front wing.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:39 pm

I had my first stabless session with the Moses 683 and 633 wings and first impression it worked fine but not sure about it yet . The foil felt very free and loose with much less drag and the acceleration was great. at first I was like wow this is easier than I thought until I hit the waves and white water. It was very pitch sensitive so going over waves was scary and foot switches resulted in nose dives. I definitely needed to carry more speed to stay stable so I think I need at least a few more hours in flat water to dial it in before I decide if it's for me or if I have the skill to master it

Return to “Hydrofoil”