Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Monofoil or "riding stabless", setup and riding

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Pleasure Bay, Chapin, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe. Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear:
FOIL
BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 110 130 150, Moses 633 637 548 550 + 91 101 111
Temavento Sync, Temavento custom LW, Moses T80 LTD, Ryan Schenk custom 36", LP Maverick XL 2

TT
Carved Imperator, Rebels, Swtchblades, Epic Infinity, Ocean Rodeo Flite
-
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Monofoil or "riding stabless", setup and riding

Postby pikovsg » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm

airsurfer wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:39 pm
I had my first stabless session with the Moses 683 and 633 wings and first impression it worked fine but not sure about it yet . The foil felt very free and loose with much less drag and the acceleration was great. at first I was like wow this is easier than I thought until I hit the waves and white water. It was very pitch sensitive so going over waves was scary and foot switches resulted in nose dives. I definitely needed to carry more speed to stay stable so I think I need at least a few more hours in flat water to dial it in before I decide if it's for me or if I have the skill to master it
Did you have to move the mast forward or backward with Onda for the mono session? Going to try it as well today

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:52 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:20 pm
airsurfer wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:39 pm
I had my first stabless session with the Moses 683 and 633 wings and first impression it worked fine but not sure about it yet . The foil felt very free and loose with much less drag and the acceleration was great. at first I was like wow this is easier than I thought until I hit the waves and white water. It was very pitch sensitive so going over waves was scary and foot switches resulted in nose dives. I definitely needed to carry more speed to stay stable so I think I need at least a few more hours in flat water to dial it in before I decide if it's for me or if I have the skill to master it
Did you have to move the mast forward or backward with Onda for the mono session? Going to try it as well today

It is so little difference in trim usually, that you might not need to move it at all.

But if you want to, the mast should be moved a tiny tad further rear when you ride with the stabilizer, so mast a tad more forward when without stab.

8) PF
Last edited by Peter_Frank on Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz

Postby airsurfer » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:56 pm

yes I moved the mast forward 3cm and it felt like I needed some back foot pressure so prob could have gone 4cm forward

Horst Sergio
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Favorite Beaches: Every puddle I can find in Central Europe,
the unpopular the better
Style: SLOW STYLE & stuntkiting
Gear: Just MONOFOILS, no training wheels ;-)
OZONE chrono, FLYSURFER sonic²/r, CONCEPTAIR wave
Brand Affiliation: KITEJUNKIE.com 's prank monkey

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:28 am

Yes, also at my setups I have around 4 cm inbetween strut positions with and without stabi. There are also some boards with tracks to much in the back, which potentially will not allow a monofoil friendly setting, even not in the full forward strut position. Good if you can take extra long tracks as I will do at Groove. But as mentioned on page 10 also the angle inbetween your foot position and the wing is important. In the best case you can change it as on my future board with "steptail":
Attachments
KITEJUNKIE_Atto-88x33.jpg

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Tawas, MI; OBX; SPI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Slingshot Turbine 9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m
Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Moses 71cm/42” masts 590/633 wings, Slingshot Dwarfcraft 42", MBS Comp 95x

For sale: MHL Lift 2013, Slingshot Coupe 6'

Postby grigorib » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:47 pm

I read lots of your guys feedback and I concluded few items:
- it’s not that hard to switch to monofoil
- monofoil has much less drag

I got excited about simplicity of potentially having mast and wing only, therefore reducing weight, size and cost of whole setup.

I was itching to give it a try so I did. Put together H4 on 24” mast and 42” Dwarfcraft, and took it out by the shipwreck in Rodanthe few days back.

I can concur on lower drag, the rides vere very smooth, but riding was a lot like learning to foil years ago.
Very smooth bronco :)
Surprisingly I could go farher and more stable on my weak side but on the strong side I’d get into porpoising fairly quick. Tried to move mast back, tried different stance - same mediocre outcome.
Maybe a bigger board would help recovering from touchdowns but the fact I was touching down on a foil for me indicates something is really wrong.

I’ll try 633 later, still curious but way less excited
Attachments
46C879B5-714A-4E04-994B-D1F0190DFD9A.jpeg

Return to “Hydrofoil”