Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Re: Nobile Zen Splitboard

Postby bigwave » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:55 am

The 3 wings that are available for the Nobile Zen Hydrofoil. Allround, Freeride and Race.
Attachments
IMG_3363.JPG

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fun2kite » Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:11 pm

How much does the split-board weights?

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:53 pm

The Zen split board weighs 10 lbs on my scale.

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby nick14 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:57 am

Any further updates? How has the construction held up? Any more issues with the straps or is this fixed?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:53 pm

nick14 wrote:Any further updates? How has the construction held up? Any more issues with the straps or is this fixed?
Over 9000 miles on the back of my motorcycle and still holding up great. And I've been rougher than most on how I handle the gear as well.

KiteDR
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Cabarete, Minnesota
Favorite Beaches: Bahia Salinas, Costa Rica; Cabarete Bay
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Cabrinha, Shinn
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby KiteDR » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:10 pm

How do you like the board itself? With and without the foil?

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:16 pm

KiteDR wrote:How do you like the board itself? With and without the foil?
Without the foil I was surprised how much I had fun on the board. I'm horrible at strapless and the board the greatly helped in that area. I really like the concave deck.

With the foil it's pretty fun as well. I'm thinking of trying it strapless as well, I think it will be pretty easy to do so. My only complaint is that the rear strap really is useless for me, too far back. Most likely when I hit Brazil I'll mod the board and put an insert in to fit that problem. Basically if you want to travel and hydrofoil, there is no better board on the market. Period.

=jason-

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:00 pm

KiteDR wrote:How do you like the board itself? With and without the foil?
The biggest surprise was just how good the Foil Infinity Split is when using it as a surfboard. Very fast and rockets upwind. Snappy turns. Strapless air is good. The only negative is its a little heavy due to the reinforcement for the foil. I used the 5'9" Infinity Carbon Split all year and raved about how fun it was. IMO, The Foil Infinity Split beats it hands down, but for lighter wind performance the 5'9" would be a better choice due to its size. Back to Back in 20 plus knots, no contest with the Foil Infinity . Its just a fantastic travel option with the check in bag. Nobile has all mast sizes from 30cm to 96cm available (86cm is stock) so learning is a breeze. As a foil, its very balanced. With no option for adjustment it just works. Of course there is better and faster and Blah,Blah Blah ,but really 3 kites ,one board and your covered from 10-30 knots.

:thumb:

phlow
Frequent Poster
Weight: 216lbs
Local Beach: Leeside, Beasley, Sandestin
Favorite Beaches: Long Beach, Provo, Turks and Caicos
Sandy Spit, BVI's
Loblolly Bay, Anegada
Coco Plum, Exuma
Style: Foil, Freeride, Surf
Gear: Duotone Neo / Mono, Nobile NHP, Jimmy Lewis Surf and SUP, Kanaha Shapes Much Macho, Moses Hydrofoils

Postby phlow » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:42 pm

All :

Just wanted to report out on my first ride test with this setup, which I received last week. Had this out on Sunday, slightly over powered conditions, 13 - 18 knots on a North Rebel 10m. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1642944886

I rode it with 2 front straps foiling, strapless foiling, strapless surfboard. This is with the freeride wing and the 86cm mast. My normal setup is a Lift NF2, Slingshot alien air.

Foiling ride is good, though a bit twitchier and less dialed in than the NF2. Downwind carves and jibes are responsive. Upwind efficiency and speed are good. Felt like it takes a touch more powerspike to get up on plane than the NF2. The setup is pretty noisy with a high pitch whistle, I guess from the mast. I found that I ventilated more frequently but I think my muscle memory is grooved to a 104cm mast , not the 86cm mast, so I put that down to operator error.

As others have mentioned the board is super fun as a strapless surfboard as well, though I was just riding in chop, not actual waves.

A few points about the setup:
  • Well engineered all the way around and the case is very handy. (I bought this for travel only, not as my day to day board.
    3 different sizes of bolts, I'm definitely stocking up on spares before travelling.
    The straps are basically worthless if your foot is larger than a size 10 US. I'm size 13 and could only get the front of my toes under them.
    The straps connect with their no-tool system so it is a breeze to remove them. This board works great strapless. Much easier to strapless waterstart than the Alien Air due to lower displacement
    If you order the 96cm mast it does not fit in the case, so 86cm is the longest feasible travel mast system
    The dimensions of the wings listed on the Nobile website are not correct, even the freeride foil is pretty low aspect.
    From Website:
    All-round: surface – 815 cm2 | span – 55 cm | extension – 3,7.
    Freeride: surface 835cm2 | span – 59,5cm | extension: – 4,2. (actually measures (56 x 16 cm, 3.5 aspect ratio)
    Race: surface – 528 cm2 | span – 60cm | extension – 6,8.
But I think with this setup , a 10m and a 14m all in the check in case, I am set for windspeeds from 7knots to 25 knots. Super stoked with the purchase.

Alvaro
Medium Poster

Postby Alvaro » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:59 am

Thank you for the Review Phlow,
You mention that "The straps connect with their no-tool system so it is a breeze to remove them", Can any standard straps be screwed in this board or is it a proprietary system?

Also, I understand that Nobile makes 3 different size bags, can any of them fit a 91cm mast?

Thank you

Return to “Hydrofoil”