Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: flexible TT board for hydrofoil?

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:50 pm

For sure there is a limit very low flex is no more percebtible, but what I tried myself the flex even of a hard twintip is far beyond this. Are there any good foilers doing flying jibes and tacks and happy with their flexible boards? Don't think so. As evan wrotes:
evan wrote: A few months ago i build a low volume race board with enough stiffness around the foil mount and big scoop. .... That gives so much confidence that i went from an occasinal flying tack and afraid to do gybes to nearly 100% flying and winning all local racing events.
A strapless bending board was definitly holding me back, if only i switched earlyer to straps and a good board....
But as also said, you can always use something inbetween to make a flexible board stiff.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: flexible TT board for hydrofoil?

Postby Starsky » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:12 pm

I fly all my transitions, Do them frequently, strapless, in high winds and waves to a point. Cracked after riding hard in 18 knots and decent sea state. It's 5 ply plasticized hard wood with a melamine top and bottom coat. Awesome day. Had actually cracked earlier, but now its more noticeable and I won't push it. Same spot as the one pictured but hairline. There is both nose to tail and side to side mild rocker on the skim and it rides out of much more than you would think, but it only lasted a bit over a year of abuse. Quite happy with it, very hard wearing and it was great proof of concept. Stoked DB skimboards make a thicker more rigid construction. I'll get back to you in a year or so to see how that one holds up. They were very cool to deal with. Asked if they could double the deck pad to give it a bit more float. They threw it in for FREEEEEEEEEEE. Cost about as much as a dirt cheap twin tip. Virtually ding proof, absolutely rideable without the foil.

I really think its whatever you get used to. I don't think a noodle would do very well as a foil board, but it's not rocker science once you can fly full time.

Return to “Hydrofoil”