Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Delta Hydrofoil - First ride

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
cnski
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: Delta Hydrofoil - First ride

Postby cnski » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Neil Pryde is using the Delta design for the FR-X Olympic one-design class. I'm happy for George and it really looks like things are taking off. I've been riding it this week and it feels like a Delta foil with more front pressure which was a little difficult at first but now I really like it and am going to shim my foil (gray one in the pic) for more front foot pressure. I have a 110 mast but might like the 96 more for allaround riding. Yes- the website is outdated and he doesn't post on FB much. He is real busy building/designing etc. I kited with his new surf foil (shiny black in pic) yesterday in super light wind. It was a blast. The tuttle screws on his foils go in front of the strap but can incorporated into the footstrap if you want your rear footstrap more forward but you don't have to set it up like this and actually feels better well behind the tuttle screws. His foils are very fast, stable, and easy to ride as previously stated. I love mine. He just designed a new larger wing surf foil for downwind and larger riders that looks super sweet. It also looks like he will have a new light wind race foil and a much anticipated freeride foil for those who dont't want a race foil. His race foils are meticulously made by himself with ultra high modulus carbon then perfectly finished and briefly tested by himself before he sends them out.
Last edited by cnski on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards

Postby kostantin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:40 pm

Hi,

ultra high modulus carbon. What does that mean?

tks

Kosta

cnski
Medium Poster

Postby cnski » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:01 pm

High Modulus | 57 msi, 670 ksi | Very stiff - Good thermal conductivity / stability - Typically used in all 0° & 90° (or off-axis) plies throughout the ply sequence / laminate orientation.
Ultra High Modulus | 94 msi, 414 ksi | Stiffest option available - Great thermal conductivity - Used primarily as 0° plies in combination with lower modulus / higher strength fibers in the 90° orientation to create a well-balanced and functional composite structure.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:15 pm

ultra high modulus carbon is carbon made to maximize stiffness rather than strength or ability to flex without breaking. Typically costs more, can give higher performance products. May or may not be stronger in practice, definitely stiffer though. Most sports products use intermendiate modulus carbon, cheaper, less likely to shatter, but not as stiff. Good product design may use several types of fibers to get best combination of stiffness and toughness at reasonable weight.

baxterbradford
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth, UK
Gear: Foil, surfboard, twintip & 8-18m kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby baxterbradford » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks for alL of the information 'cnski', very helpful indeed. He does sound like a busy man. The larger wing is of particular interest. I'll watch for developments & announcements.

kostantin
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sahlenburg
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc
Gear: Switch, PANSH, Fisch Kiteboards

Postby kostantin » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:32 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur8-P4Zp_KQ

I have no clue at all about this carbon stuff, but I think this guy guy brings it to the point.

tks

Kosta

Return to “Hydrofoil”