Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

G'me a break!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

G'me a break!

Postby abel » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:57 pm

Today there were nice conditions for Hfoiling, 7-10 knots and only 2-3 ft break; wind onshore.
I was exited as I'm feeling the progress.
But...
After several past sessions that I managed to reach enough depth passing 3-4 ft break (wind onshore 9-12 knots),
today I just couldn't reach enough depth. I couldn't believe it was happening to me!

Though the conditions seemed better than previous sessions (smaller break and swell and no chop) I just kept hitting the sand immediately after the water start
(waves and kite pushhpulled me back to shore).

I'm trying to verify if the +2 additional knots make the difference.
There was another factor that annoyed me: the wind direction continuously changed about +/-10 degrees, each time to the other side of the shore :-?

And yeah...I tried to body drag far out as in previous sessions but this time with no success :oops: :o :x :roll:

Can the experienced Hfoilers tell me if such conditions are a session killer? (I hope the reason is not good enough body dragging skills [to be improved :wink: ])

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: G'me a break!

Postby Mossy 757 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:29 pm

Light wind in troubled water has been a session killer, yes. My strategy in challenging conditions is to really over estimate my margin of error by a lot and body drag for much further than it seems I need.

The other strategy is to practice popping up straight on foil by looping the kite. This helps a lot in shallow water but is a bit tricky to master, best to practice further out

3asy_pie
Rare Poster
Gear: Sonic 9m & 15m
Taaroa Sword 2
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby 3asy_pie » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:54 am

Onshore winds and waves always stink. I remember when I only had a 9m that it was literally impossible to body drag far enough to water start. There is also the fear of getting hit by a stingray at the forefront of my wind. I found that a larger kite and a lot more kicking really helped. I have a pair of Churchill Makapuu's I thought of using to help me swim out and swim in if I can't water relaunch.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:04 am

abel wrote:Today there were nice conditions for Hfoiling, 7-10 knots and only 2-3 ft break; wind onshore.
I was exited as I'm feeling the progress.
But...
After several past sessions that I managed to reach enough depth passing 3-4 ft break (wind onshore 9-12 knots),
today I just couldn't reach enough depth. I couldn't believe it was happening to me!

Though the conditions seemed better than previous sessions (smaller break and swell and no chop) I just kept hitting the sand immediately after the water start
(waves and kite pushhpulled me back to shore).

I'm trying to verify if the +2 additional knots make the difference.
There was another factor that annoyed me: the wind direction continuously changed about +/-10 degrees, each time to the other side of the shore :-?

And yeah...I tried to body drag far out as in previous sessions but this time with no success :oops: :o :x :roll:

Can the experienced Hfoilers tell me if such conditions are a session killer? (I hope the reason is not good enough body dragging skills [to be improved :wink: ])

Are you using the Foil properly when bodydragging upwind? eg. Foil engaged to give you speed and lift? I see a lot of people struggle to get out in light onshore as they just try to drag the board behind or upwind of them.

This is the way to get speed and lift into your kite and get upwind, even through shorebreak.

https://vimeo.com/96927290

Also see here from 0.35 minutes you can see me getting out though the break in super light onshore wind.

https://vimeo.com/160464796

--
Gunnar

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:04 pm

gmb13 wrote:

Are you using the Foil properly when bodydragging upwind? eg. Foil engaged to give you speed and lift? I see a lot of people struggle to get out in light onshore as they just try to drag the board behind or upwind of them.
Also see here from 0.35 minutes you can see me getting out though the break in super light onshore wind.
--
Gunnar
Thank you Gunnar.

I reviewed the first clip a long time ago, but not seen the second one with the break crossing, which is the regular situation I have.
There is one main difference, the brake period is about 4 to 6 secs. So every wave pushes me back (unless I still touch the sand) .
Given that the wind is on shore, body dragging requires holding the board almost parallel to the waves, so I have to turn the board every wave.
(I don't like the situation having the HF in front of me when a wave is coming) :out:

Is there a technique to body drag through the break, wind on shore??? (tried that without success, the issue is avoiding the break to hit flat the board bottom)

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:27 pm

abel wrote:
gmb13 wrote:

--
Gunnar
Thank you Gunnar.

I reviewed the first clip a long time ago, but not seen the second one with the break crossing, which is the regular situation I have.
There is one main difference, the brake period is about 4 to 6 secs. So every wave pushes me back (unless I still touch the sand) .
Given that the wind is on shore, body dragging requires holding the board almost parallel to the waves, so I have to turn the board every wave.
(I don't like the situation having the HF in front of me when a wave is coming) :out:

Is there a technique to body drag through the break, wind on shore??? (tried that without success, the issue is avoiding the break to hit flat the board bottom)
Hi Abel,

The technique is the same. The trick in short periods is to keep the speed up and "punch" the board through the Wave. It is important to get the angle right. The wind is almost never perfectly onshore. It will favor one side, try to start going the direction that give you a more steep angle to the wave. Time is so that you get a small set of waves. The board should not be parallel to the wave, if it is, the foil is not engaged, or you are going the wrong way. Also if the wind is light and you cannot get speed, use your legs and get speed that way. You can also "pump" or push the board so the foil gives you a bit of lift in the kite when you hit a wave. Practice makes perfect. Keep on with it and you will figure it out.

I will try to get some footage of dragging though big waves as soon as I can.

--
Gunnar

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:42 pm

There is another more effective way that works in very light onshore wind .
Get in the water as far as you can walk and then push the hydrofoil straight into the wind. It will probably go 4 or 5 meters. You then body drag/swim to it and repeat 2 or 3 times if necessary till you are far enough to water start.

Christophe

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:20 pm

windmaker wrote:There is another more effective way that works in very light onshore wind .
Get in the water as far as you can walk and then push the hydrofoil straight into the wind. It will probably go 4 or 5 meters. You then body drag/swim to it and repeat 2 or 3 times if necessary till you are far enough to water start.

Christophe
Hi Christophe,

How does that work in shallow water, constant waves and wind where there is not enough wind for body dragging without the foil engaged, (The conditions the OP describes)? To push the board out, it needs to be deep enough. Also the waves will wash it back in pretty quickly, so the foil will have ground contact before you make it to it. Or am I missing something?

--
Gunnar

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:31 am

gmb13 wrote:
windmaker wrote:There is another more effective way that works in very light onshore wind .

Christophe
Hi Christophe,

How does that work in shallow water, constant waves and wind where there is not enough wind for body dragging without the foil engaged, (The conditions the OP describes)? To push the board out, it needs to be deep enough. Also the waves will wash it back in pretty quickly, so the foil will have ground contact before you make it to it. Or am I missing something?

--
Gunnar
My mistake, I read the original post too fast and assumed it was a beach break where the water depth is typically deep as soon as you pass the wave and the main concern is getting away from the beach. Otherwise yes if the wind is very light and the waves strong getting out with onshore wind takes a lot of perseverance.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:17 pm

If it's really onshore and choppy, there's often a sweep pulling one way or another. Be mindful of this as one tack might be favored due to the apparent wind.

Return to “Hydrofoil”