Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Foiling in waves

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:14 pm

ROLAVI wrote:I thought I read somewhere that the Zeeko wave stuff being prototyped had a longer mast. The blue one looks it. I thought I have heard the mast length comment months before. Maybe I am off. I am getting old so it could be just a senior movement for me.
Maybe not a longer strut, but the guy on your foto seems to use a canard. Anything about that in the context to waves or not?

I have very little to no idea about waves but for playing in waves I would use my normal 96 cm, for crossing waves to go distance the 110 cm.

Thanks to everybody, interessting discussion hope my foil will hit some serious waves in the future.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
ROLAVI wrote:I thought I read somewhere that the Zeeko wave stuff being prototyped had a longer mast. The blue one looks it. I thought I have heard the mast length comment months before. Maybe I am off. I am getting old so it could be just a senior movement for me.
Maybe not a longer strut, but the guy on your foto seems to use a canard. Anything about that in the context to waves or not?

I have very little to no idea about waves but for playing in waves I would use my normal 96 cm, for crossing waves to go distance the 110 cm.

Thanks to everybody, interessting discussion hope my foil will hit some serious waves in the future.
Even though I've only just started, I'm kiting in a wave location and waves are my end goal for the hf. I see 2 apposing issues with wave riding and mast height. Bigger swell days will be easier to cross the waves with a bigger mast. But good waves are close to shore in shallower water. point breaks and decent waves round here are generally in the rocky areas. The rocks/boulders underneath create the good waves. So a long mast is not desirable when you are in shallowish rocker waters.......

I don't know the answer. Time will tell if my mast is too short. I'm running 90cm.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:32 pm

It maybe just that if prototype testing there could have been many combos of what ever parts available used in that Zeeko video.

Bradford
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North Shore Massachusetts
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bradford » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:13 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Bradford wrote:I have a LF happy foil with both the medium and low aspect wings. I cavitate and fall off foil on both wings when I carve fast and hard, as I would on a surfboard. And that's when I'm on ideal, butter flat water. When I'm on a choppy wave, i have a much harder time and have to take it very slow. I'm guessing there might exist a foil that makes it easier and it looks like Zeeko is zeroing in on it.

Zeeko...I can't wait to see what you come up with!
You mean, ventilate? Are you popping the wing out when you carve into the wave? Weight too far back. Of course you know that :) but I bet your C of G is shifting back as you carve like you would on the surfboard. Gotta shift weight forward more aggressively and early. Go in with the board low, too, so when you load up you got some mast left. And don't try to "hit the lip" but carve lower on the face...
I'm using the LF Fun foil.
I think it's ventilation some of the time, but I'm pretty sure there are times when I carve fast and tight with the wing submerged and the foil just "gives out". Is there a limit to the forces the foil can take on a turn? Does a shorter radius turn significantly increase the angular velocity enough to cause cavitation (can angular velocity even cause cavitation)? Are the centrifugal/centripetal forces at play?

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:35 am

How does it give out? Just sink under you?

The FF is notorious for sinking when it goes too fast for itself...at "speed" you're constantly popping it back up to counter the sink.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:36 am

plummet wrote:
Horst Sergio wrote:

Even though I've only just started, I'm kiting in a wave location and waves are my end goal for the hf. I see 2 apposing issues with wave riding and mast height. Bigger swell days will be easier to cross the waves with a bigger mast. But good waves are close to shore in shallower water. point breaks and decent waves round here are generally in the rocky areas. The rocks/boulders underneath create the good waves. So a long mast is not desirable when you are in shallowish rocker waters.......

I don't know the answer. Time will tell if my mast is too short. I'm running 90cm.
You're not HFing the wave face, so it doesn't matter. Stay away from the shallows.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:23 am

Kamikuza wrote:
plummet wrote:
Horst Sergio wrote:

You're not HFing the wave face, so it doesn't matter. Stay away from the shallows.
Must you argue against every post I make?

This is a thread about foiling in waves. Not foiling ocean swells. To ride a wave you must be close to shore unless the waves themselves are very big. So mast height will potentially be critical to your ability to ride some waves.

rightguard
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby rightguard » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:12 am

My home break is nowhere near the shore and only shallow on the lowest of tides. We can get very nice waves with no trouble on full length masts.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:07 am

plummet wrote:Must you argue against every post I make?

This is a thread about foiling in waves. Not foiling ocean swells. To ride a wave you must be close to shore unless the waves themselves are very big. So mast height will potentially be critical to your ability to ride some waves.
No, just the ones you get your facts wrong in.

You're not riding the wave face so it doesn't matter where they start to break . . . unless you've got a shitty beach where they dump on the shore line and there's no swell at all. Then good bloody luck to you.

If there's any swell, any at all, you ride that, not the wave face--like the guy in the Zeeko video. Trust me, there's enough energy there to glide for miles with no tension on the kite lines.

If you can jibe on the foil, you only need, say, half a meter depth of water, to get around on. But if you stuff up the jibe, you hit the bottom--hard.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:09 pm

Well, both of you are right I would say :roll:

Yes, the fact that you can ride swells (whether ground swells or wind driven close ones does not matter) is awesome.

BUT, riding where they break, or are about to break - is the coolest thing too !

This means you (me, can only speak for myself true) ride either far out on flat swells, but most often just outside the breaking part where they jack up and get "beatiful and steep without closing", sometimes in the breaking zone, and sometimes even inside, but mostly just a tad out.

Riding just outside where they break means you also ride in WHERE they break sometimes, thus it can be low water here.
I ride in such conditions all the time, sometimes so small it can not be called waves - but still love to turn on a smallish thing when it gets steep, and carve around - meaning I end up in shallow water over the sand banks and MUST keep foiling when carving around going out again - this in itself is a good sane excersize that can make you learn NOT to mess up and ride even more consistently :rollgrin:
So for me I wont use a shorter mast in waves even when shallow, as short ones works crappy in waves - I would either stay a bit further out, or not get the board down on the water when turning around.

I am not talented so can not do all the "hot" things others can, but I ride a lot and love playing around in every kind of waves, here one month ago late september just took some kitecam timeline out, also when I "mess up".
Promised abel asking how to traverse even small waves - at some point a few places I think you can see the "traversing".

Having fun playing around in "everything" on a sunny day.

Amazing, it was one month ago in 3/2 summer suit used in october too, and now it is below zero and snow - we did not get ANY autumn at all this year, THAT I have never experienced before..
But we had an extremely warm indian summer lasting almost two months into the autumn - thats why it "dissapeared" :naughty:

Riding in whitewater wash between waves feels really odd, like you are riding in a huge flock of jellyfish all the time - it is not soft and sweet like you are used to...
Feels almost like when you cross a speedboat wake - the same "not smooth" feel.
Almost like if riding a bike on a rough cobblestone road :wink:

Not difficult but different feel :D

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”