Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foiling in waves

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiling in waves

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:17 am

lezo wrote:Saintes Maries de la Mer, mediterranen side.

This would hardly be be called a 'decent wave day' on the Atlantic side.
I mean it for the quality of the swell, not for the skill of the riders, with one of our best, Marc Blanc among them.
Exactly - and this is why it is a win win with hydrofoils, as these "not decent" wave days can be used just as good, in fact even better because there are not crowds and way more of these days and spots all over the world :thumb:

8) PF

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:02 am

Waves on a race foil.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:06 am

Zeeko wave foil prototype.

Bradford
Rare Poster
Local Beach: North Shore Massachusetts
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bradford » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:00 am

The riding from 1:18 to 1:26 in the Zeeko video has me stoked! That's exactly the kind of riding I want to do on my foil. And it's the first time I've ever seen it. I've watched all the Horue videos, I've watched the Ketos video in this thread, and none have convinced me that you can carve up a wave the way you can on a regular surfboard...except for this one.

I have a LF happy foil with both the medium and low aspect wings. I cavitate and fall off foil on both wings when I carve fast and hard, as I would on a surfboard. And that's when I'm on ideal, butter flat water. When I'm on a choppy wave, i have a much harder time and have to take it very slow. I'm guessing there might exist a foil that makes it easier and it looks like Zeeko is zeroing in on it.

Zeeko...I can't wait to see what you come up with!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:48 am

Bradford wrote:The riding from 1:18 to 1:26 in the Zeeko video has me stoked! That's exactly the kind of riding I want to do on my foil. And it's the first time I've ever seen it. I've watched all the Horue videos, I've watched the Ketos video in this thread, and none have convinced me that you can carve up a wave the way you can on a regular surfboard...except for this one.

I have a LF happy foil with both the medium and low aspect wings. I cavitate and fall off foil on both wings when I carve fast and hard, as I would on a surfboard. And that's when I'm on ideal, butter flat water. When I'm on a choppy wave, i have a much harder time and have to take it very slow. I'm guessing there might exist a foil that makes it easier and it looks like Zeeko is zeroing in on it.

The zeeko black & white and carver wings are dead flat, as are the Stringy wings I have. I got them on recommendation of greg drexler....the maui cloud guy, who has the other radical carving videos.

So....not sure if that's a coincidence or if there's something in the design. ...but I can say the low drag fast turning wings are super fun. But also with more surface area, to get up on foil and stay there at lower speeds. Like surfing the barrel, effective wave riding is about slowing down....if you're going so fast that you outrun the wave, you can't surf it.

ROLAVI
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ROLAVI » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:05 am

Why the extra mast length? Is it to get wings under white water at times when needed? I don't see the need the need for length to get over the wave or ride it. Gonna make interesting playing over a sandbar.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:17 am

juandesooka wrote:
Bradford wrote:The riding from 1:18 to 1:26 in the Zeeko video has me stoked! That's exactly the kind of riding I want to do on my foil. And it's the first time I've ever seen it. I've watched all the Horue videos, I've watched the Ketos video in this thread, and none have convinced me that you can carve up a wave the way you can on a regular surfboard...except for this one.

The zeeko black & white and carver wings are dead flat, as are the Stringy wings I have. I got them on recommendation of greg drexler....the maui cloud guy, who has the other radical carving videos.

So....not sure if that's a coincidence or if there's something in the design. ...but I can say the low drag fast turning wings are super fun. But also with more surface area, to get up on foil and stay there at lower speeds. Like surfing the barrel, effective wave riding is about slowing down....if you're going so fast that you outrun the wave, you can't surf it.
The wings on these are not flat.
https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t50.2 ... 6224_n.mp4

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:28 am

ROLAVI wrote:Why the extra mast length? Is it to get wings under white water at times when needed? I don't see the need the need for length to get over the wave or ride it. Gonna make interesting playing over a sandbar.
I dont see any "extra" mast length mentioned ?

Most of us use standard 90-100cm masts and not longer, as it seem to work in both small chop waves and bigger waves too.

Shorter is IMO and experiences really bad and to no use in waves...
But you can search the forum, there are several discussions about this, and different opinions :wink:

8) Peter

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:06 pm

Bradford wrote:I have a LF happy foil with both the medium and low aspect wings. I cavitate and fall off foil on both wings when I carve fast and hard, as I would on a surfboard. And that's when I'm on ideal, butter flat water. When I'm on a choppy wave, i have a much harder time and have to take it very slow. I'm guessing there might exist a foil that makes it easier and it looks like Zeeko is zeroing in on it.

You mean, ventilate? Are you popping the wing out when you carve into the wave? Weight too far back. Of course you know that :) but I bet your C of G is shifting back as you carve like you would on the surfboard. Gotta shift weight forward more aggressively and early. Go in with the board low, too, so when you load up you got some mast left. And don't try to "hit the lip" but carve lower on the face...
I'm using the LF Fun foil.

ROLAVI
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby ROLAVI » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:58 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
ROLAVI wrote:Why the extra mast length? Is it to get wings under white water at times when needed? I don't see the need the need for length to get over the wave or ride it. Gonna make interesting playing over a sandbar.
I dont see any "extra" mast length mentioned ?

Most of us use standard 90-100cm masts and not longer, as it seem to work in both small chop waves and bigger waves too.

Shorter is IMO and experiences really bad and to no use in waves...
But you can search the forum, there are several discussions about this, and different opinions :wink:

8) Peter
I thought I read somewhere that the Zeeko wave stuff being prototyped had a longer mast. The blue one looks it. I thought I have heard the mast length comment months before. Maybe I am off. I am getting old so it could be just a senior movement for me.
Last edited by ROLAVI on Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”