Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

whats better in 4-10 kts

Postby fogmeister » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:30 am

which board would be better in low wind 4-10kts, how will they handle differently, one being more flat the other deeper v shape?
one is actually smaller but has more volume.

150 by 45 33.5 l volume diablo raceboard

or 156 by 49 26l volume diablo board

fonefoilcarbon45.jpg
fonefoilcarbon51.jpg

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Re: whats better in 4-10 kts

Postby socommk23 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:53 am

I would have thought larger volume would float more and help with starting. but once out of the water and foiling I don't think it makes any difference does it?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:04 am

I would definitely opt for the 156x49 with far more area as it should be much better for your extreme low winds in lulls, and you need a board that can be ridden when not foiling...

Racers seem to choose the smaller surface (less edge to grip the water when heeled on upwind) and more volume (stiffer and lighter board) and use as big kites as possible.

But if you want to cover as much marginal range as possible, I am pretty sure the bigger area is by far more important :thumb:

Only with smaller boards NOT gliding at all in lulls, volume is equally or more important I would say.

8) Peter

Robsw6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Hayling Island
Favorite Beaches: One eye, Sidi Kaouki, Big Bay, Gwithian & Hayling
Style: Powered
Gear: Reedins, Orbit2s & Surfboards (Cabrinha's & Naish), Nomad/TAD Mutants, Flash 4'10 & Naish Pro 4'10, Moses Hydrofoil & North Atmos

Postby Robsw6 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:52 pm

Agree with Peter, bigger boards make a big difference in early planing, they just pop up onto the plane, whereas a smaller board needs to be worked & driven in v light conditions. But as ever, once you are up, you want the smallest board possible, eg. a Ketos skim board.

I looked over the range of F-Ones in Tarifa and they all look superb - my pick would be a 47 carbon - as it looks a nice compromise

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:35 pm

thanks guys , guess you have to find what you can plane on in low winds, ie lowest surface area, and that will be your smallest board for that range. I am 65 kg, how small (surface area) do you think you can ride comfortably without to much hassle on a touch down jibe in 6-10 knots......say the board is 48 wide, will 132 vs 142 make much difference. Or should it just be over 50 wide and 150 long? and all boards over 25l volume . i know this is all similar to riding with a door in light winds but i have no experience with how volume will affect my ability to get up, and thus how much smaller can the board be.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:51 pm

fogmeister wrote:thanks guys , guess you have to find what you can plane on in low winds, ie lowest surface area, and that will be your smallest board for that range. I am 65 kg, how small (surface area) do you think you can ride comfortably without to much hassle on a touch down jibe in 6-10 knots......say the board is 48 wide, will 132 vs 142 make much difference. Or should it just be over 50 wide and 150 long? and all boards over 25l volume . i know this is all similar to riding with a door in light winds but i have no experience with how volume will affect my ability to get up, and thus how much smaller can the board be.
Just to ensure that a proper decision is taken, I recommend the largest area board, being the width the most significant factor.

For water start in light wind, the tail width is the most important factor for initial planing.
Then the wet area is the next factor of importance.
Given that the front of the board is out of the water (because front rocker and initial board inclination), the width along the board (mid section) is still more significant.
Beyond a certain length, one cm in width, is all along the board, while another cm to the length, is one cm more out of the water.
The volume has its role after starting. It enables a smaller vertical force component from the kite, so you can keep the kite lower towards the power zone without sinking.
It has less significance for water start.

If I had to compromise I would prefer width before volume and with before length.

Once you start foiling then the significant factor is the volume (only when it touches the water).

fogmeister
Frequent Poster

Postby fogmeister » Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:35 pm

thank you very nice explanation, helps alot!!

Return to “Hydrofoil”