Style: Twin Tip
Gear: Core XR3s
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

2 Noob Questions for Buying

Postby Deaf Paul » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:45 pm

Aloha From Oahu, Hawaii!

I picked up a used "foil" board yesterday that didn't come with any of the foil parts. Slingshot Alien.

How do I know which foil base plates (or complete foil mast with a base plate built in) fits this board or are they all universal or so to speak? Pic should be attached.

What's the smartest and most reasonably cost effective way to complete this board? I've never foiled before but don't want to throw my teachers salary away on multiple sized masts and wings. I anticipate that this will be used on light wind days and for distance traveling as well as maybe open ocean crossings if I find it effective for such undertakings. I do not need absolute speed, but something stable that gets up at low speeds and will stay up easily in rough swells/over shallow reef here and there.

Been waiting to start foiling for the longest time! Let me know your thoughts!

-Paul
Attachments
20161203_181001.jpg

Deaf Paul
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kailua, Hawaii

Re: 2 Noob Questions for Buying

Postby Deaf Paul » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:32 pm

Nobody knows? Looked at a bunch of pictures and it looks like it fits the Slingshot plate. How do I find out if there are other plates that are sized the same as the slingshot plate or are all/most the same as the slingshot plate measurements?

Second question: For those that use cars, do you take apart everything every time you drive or do you just remove the mast from the plate for transporting? Do you guys use any kind of thread locking compound to make sure the bolts don't ever fall out? Or wave washers?

-Paul

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:55 pm

AFAIK most common hole pattern is 160x85mm, and then there's the less popular 165x90mm one. Measure the gap between those tracks, it's very likely that it's 85mm. Zeeko and Thekitefoil aluminum foils should be suitable for both.

I am a beginning foiler also. I have a prototype Manta 1. During transport I only remove the fuselage from the mast. Put the half of the rear seats down, put the board over the folded seat and the mast extends along the trunk. I only have two screws to screw at the beach. Did not need any thread locking compound but do use tefgel to prevent corrosion.

Most cost effective way for you would be to get a second hand aluminum foil preferably from a local. If you are into DIY, you can get a slingshot plate and mast, then build the wings and fuselage yourself. Almost anything seems to fly. Out of curiosity, I built a wing from 18mm plywood. Since it's so thick, and i was just curious to try it quickly, I only sealed it with epoxy; no glass at all. And it did fly!

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:42 pm

Measure the tracks like suggested. Once you know what size it is, people can make recommendations for which foil to get. All that being said, if you can find someone local selling a used plate-mount foil, you should seriously consider it. Getting into this sport on reliable gear cheaply is half the battle...depending on how well you do while learning, you'll almost certainly want to upgrade at some point, so getting that initial learning done as cheaply as possible is critical.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:10 am

Others have jumped in but all plate mount foils I've seen and used are 90mm spacing bwteeen the tracks (KFA, Levitaz -'s I think liquid force).

Any foil will work as long as the track spacing is suitable - so you have a lot to choose from depending on your budget.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:05 am

Measure the track width, and if it fits with the often used 90mm between you can choose between several brands and get a beginner foil, maybe for later upgrade WHEN you get struck by the foilface virus and want more :rollgrin:
Not IF, but WHEN :naughty:

You can also choose a Zeeko as it has a plate that fits three spacings both 85 and 90mm (and a really narrow as used in the early days too by a few).
Or TheKiteFoil also with 85 and 90mm default.

Zeeko are most likely the most experienced kitebrand making hydrofoils as they "started" it all, works excellent, and the alu's a really fair price.
Later the two responsible made each their own brand, so loads of experience both of them and prices are good.

Zeeko

Or go with TheKiteFoil as it also has spacings for both 85 and 90mm2

Of course you might also be able to get someone to make a plate/adapter that fits no matter what distance your board got, but most likely it is either 85 or 90mm is my guess :D

90mm plate if this is your spacing, should be easy to get from many brands :D

8) Peter

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:11 pm

Oh man, yesterday I stumbled on a terrific table that showed compatibility between Slingy, LF, and a few other plate-based production foil systems against their boards. I'm pretty sure it was on the houstonkiteboarding.com website. Would this be useful? If so I can search more for it.

Deaf Paul
Rare Poster

Postby Deaf Paul » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:20 pm

Many thanks to everybody for chiming in!

I'll measure the distances tonight when I get home. That's something I should have done from the get-go. I know that the previous owner was at least using a slingshot mast on this board. Not sure about base or the foil itself.

Eitreato, that sounds like a very useful table to have for many of us and a copy probably should be thrown into a sticky on here. Wonder if there's one for mast to plate compatibility? I'm betting most brands aren't compatible with other brands tho.

I've been keeping my eyes open for a used aluminum mast/foil deal locally for a while now but the only one that turned up listed for only $50 less than retail (wanted $900 or something) and it was a year-old model. Was advised that it wasn't a good deal at all so I passed. It eventually sold though, don't know how much. I see a bunch of options on the ikitesurf classifieds tho that seem better priced... Just worried about shipping to Hawaii which usually is expensive for large items.

-Paul

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Deaf Paul
Rare Poster

Postby Deaf Paul » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:17 am

Measured the track distances - 90mm.

One of the local kite shops said they'd sell me the
Cabrinha foil for $899, and the Slingshot for $799. Both 2017 models. Can't seem to find out what the differences are in the 2017 models versus the 2016 so not sure they are much better than the reviews I've been reading on here about them. A user here private messaged me and suggested I go with the Zeeko Blue/White or the new Spitfire. I'm impressed with the reviews of those foils so far, but concerned about the lack of local shop support/warranty services if I don't go with either a Naish, Cabrinha, or Slingshot which are what are sold here on the island.

-Paul

Return to “Hydrofoil”