Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


max
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 533
Joined: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:00 am

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby max » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:06 am

bigtone667 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:51 am


Happy to recommend this beast for kitesurfing


What wind strength and kite size?

Is it going to replace the big Naish wing at this stage?

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:24 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, D's

Slingshot Skim Board, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Hover 155, Naish Thrust Surf Foil, Konrad Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby bigtone667 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:06 pm

max wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:06 am
bigtone667 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:51 am


Happy to recommend this beast for kitesurfing


What wind strength and kite size?

Is it going to replace the big Naish wing at this stage?
Started in 10knots on a 10.4m Cloud.
Went down to an 8m Cloud in 15 to 20 knots. Could have flown the 6.2m.

I feel that they both have very similar power requirements and start points.

Naish Surf Thrust Large v's Zeeko Spitfire XXLW........ The zeeko is certainly more agile in carving turns, but at the moment a 60cm mast is too small. I will get 70cm in July, making it a similar size to the Naish (and hopefully the number of breach crashes will de-crease).

I should know in a few weeks what my goto foil will be, but both work well for the surf/swell riding I enjoy.

Rojbrown
Rare Poster
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:31 am
Kiting since: 2
Local Beach: Lake Mojave
Favorite Beaches: Rocky Point, Mx
Style: Novice
Gear: Cabrinha Convert
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby Rojbrown » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:28 pm

This is all great info! I have the standard wings and finding them a challenge to learn on. Debating pros/cons of XLW vs XXLW wings for progression. I don't need to go fast. In actuality feel out of my comfort zone if >25mph. No jumps for now either. For pure foiling and carving any recommendations?

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:52 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:52 am

Not that sure that the STD Spitfire wings will naturally go near 25mph.
They do give the same lift as White&green which is regarded as pretty good for learning.

But these days of super sized wings have changed the normal it seems.
Also what are normal conditions for some maybe not for others. My normal conditions, or when I hit the waves are13-20kts cross shore and head high as least.
With our currents and shore break this is easiest to get out back.
Others have less powerful winds smaller waves and even less power in the waves also less wave speed.
So for me I only use the std wings on Pocket Air with two straps and 8m Notus Air. Either 24 or 28m lines.
It sort of feels like the old days with only one kite one board and you took on everything. No spending half an hour assessing wind and conditions, pondering best board kite and or size. Then spend session wondering if you have made the best choice.

Rojbrown
Rare Poster
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:31 am
Kiting since: 2
Local Beach: Lake Mojave
Favorite Beaches: Rocky Point, Mx
Style: Novice
Gear: Cabrinha Convert
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby Rojbrown » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 am

Had another day on my Spitfire. Standard wings, 20mph winds or there about. 195lbs and flying a 8.5 kahoona. All in all some progression. Most of the time board in the water with a lot of slapping. Was able to get foiling above the chop on occasion. When I did always encountered the board/foil porpoising. And/or dramatic acceleration. With one crash leaving me wanting a helmet (I know not a bad idea) as the water impact was jarring. With my time on a SS HG I've learned to weight the front foot. This feels different. When I weight the front foot the nose dives yet if I don't....porpoise. I know the answer comes with more time on the water. But any feedback for my next session is appreciated. Waiting for the XLW wings to be is stock. Also hopped on my buddies HG again to compare. He upgraded to the large surf foil. It was so much more stable in speed, pivot, and yaw ....and much heavier. I'm committed to the SF. Any pearls of wisdom?

User avatar
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 8527
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 0
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Denmark

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:21 am

Rojbrown wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 am
Had another day on my Spitfire. Standard wings, 20mph winds or there about. 195lbs and flying a 8.5 kahoona. All in all some progression. Most of the time board in the water with a lot of slapping. Was able to get foiling above the chop on occasion. When I did always encountered the board/foil porpoising. And/or dramatic acceleration. With one crash leaving me wanting a helmet (I know not a bad idea) as the water impact was jarring. With my time on a SS HG I've learned to weight the front foot. This feels different. When I weight the front foot the nose dives yet if I don't....porpoise. I know the answer comes with more time on the water. But any feedback for my next session is appreciated. Waiting for the XLW wings to be is stock. Also hopped on my buddies HG again to compare. He upgraded to the large surf foil. It was so much more stable in speed, pivot, and yaw ....and much heavier. I'm committed to the SF. Any pearls of wisdom?

But the whole target with the Spitfire, is to get a much more lively board for playing around, especially in the waves - so what you encounter is pretty normal till you get used to it.

I found it relatively easy to get used to, but have had years of experience on hydrofoils, which is a bad thing when changing to a new style as the old has "grown to you", but good in terms of pitch feel and touch which are essential.

I dont think there are any shortcuts, but time and time and time on the water :naughty:

A bit more difficult as you are pretty new, but to be expected.

8) PF

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:52 am
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:34 am

Rojbrown wrote:
Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 am
Had another day on my Spitfire. Standard wings, 20mph winds or there about. 195lbs and flying a 8.5 kahoona. All in all some progression. Most of the time board in the water with a lot of slapping. Was able to get foiling above the chop on occasion. When I did always encountered the board/foil porpoising. And/or dramatic acceleration. With one crash leaving me wanting a helmet (I know not a bad idea) as the water impact was jarring. With my time on a SS HG I've learned to weight the front foot. This feels different. When I weight the front foot the nose dives yet if I don't....porpoise. I know the answer comes with more time on the water. But any feedback for my next session is appreciated. Waiting for the XLW wings to be is stock. Also hopped on my buddies HG again to compare. He upgraded to the large surf foil. It was so much more stable in speed, pivot, and yaw ....and much heavier. I'm committed to the SF. Any pearls of wisdom?
The Std wings will lift early enough but you will get the porpoising if you lift too early. Build more board speed

User avatar
bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 639
Joined: Tue May 14, 2002 1:00 am
Kiting since: 99
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Alkita boards
Zeeko foil
GK Trix
Enduro9
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast
Location: Te Wai Pounamu
Contact:

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:28 am

It could also well be that your feet aren't in the sweet spot for it to come alive. Variations of +/- 2cm make a massive difference. Ride it strapless for a while and figure out the right position and stance. Once the right spots are identified, with good on-flight balance, you can go back to the straps which would allow to push it a bit harder.

Rojbrown
Rare Poster
Posts: 17
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:31 am
Kiting since: 2
Local Beach: Lake Mojave
Favorite Beaches: Rocky Point, Mx
Style: Novice
Gear: Cabrinha Convert
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby Rojbrown » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:49 am

Appreciate the feedback! I ride with a single foot hook open forward on the mid to forward aspect of the board. It allows me to waterstart but can move my foot forward if needed. The back foot is free. I've been playing with different foot positions. When I move the front foot forward to anticipate/prevent porpoising the board submerges. With the back foot...well, I'm not sure. It seems I have to move it forward for the "sweet spot" but then my stance feels narrow. Much more so then when riding a directional. Where should the back foot be in relation to the mast?

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Posts: 339
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:24 am
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, D's

Slingshot Skim Board, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Naish Hover 155, Naish Thrust Surf Foil, Konrad Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:44 am

Rojbrown wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:49 am
Appreciate the feedback! I ride with a single foot hook open forward on the mid to forward aspect of the board. It allows me to waterstart but can move my foot forward if needed. The back foot is free. I've been playing with different foot positions. When I move the front foot forward to anticipate/prevent porpoising the board submerges. With the back foot...well, I'm not sure. It seems I have to move it forward for the "sweet spot" but then my stance feels narrow. Much more so then when riding a directional. Where should the back foot be in relation to the mast?
I suspect it works differently for lots of folks, but my rear foot is typically located above the mast. I then move my weight forward or backward depending on the type of foil I am riding. I do not think of my front foot position so much as my weight forward of the mast.

I did not deliberately choose to do this, it sort of just happened for me as I was learning and seems to consistently work for me.

But I have noticed with the Spitfire XXLW and that I am enjoying pushing my rear foot further back.


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

cron