Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 am

Some G10 has arrived and some grinding and shaping will begin over the weekend for a lower aspect wing.

Since I moved the moved the Spitfire from the El Stubbo to Shinnster, it has been a vast improvement in my levels of fun.
Not as low wind as the Zeeko/Carver pairing, but a fun foil once over 12 knots.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:17 pm

bigtone667 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 am
Some G10 has arrived and some grinding and shaping will begin over the weekend for a lower aspect wing.

hey bigtone . . . can you tell me where you got the G10 from in Aus?

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:00 am

max wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:17 pm
bigtone667 wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:41 am

hey bigtone . . . can you tell me where you got the G10 from in Aus?
www.gameco.com.au .... the biggest piece they had was 340mm x 300mm x 10mm. The Spitfire wing is 340mm wide, so I figured I would try a deeper wing, and maybe larger front wing.
All a learning experience.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 pm

Question to Spitfire users: do you change between canard and classic design foil often? Same day?
As someone already mentioned, I also found switching between them more difficult than I imagined. My setups are Spitfire with pocket board and Spotz2 and floatier board. Once dialed in on Spit, going back to Spotz seem to take me quite a while to get comfortable again. Makes me think that I might have to choose one type and stick to it. Which at this time would be Spitfire

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:39 am

I've been working on the Spitfire technique and have found that when I switch back it's like this 10-20mins of total uncoordinated porpoising till I reset my balance then the standard Black&White feels easier.
Then back to the Spitfire and same process

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Thu Apr 13, 2017 2:12 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:41 pm
It’s roughly 3 months since the Spitfire released and it seems the excitement has died down. Curious to hear the thoughts of those who have invested in one. Is it the new design that is going to change everything? Or is it just another interesting variation, something a little different to add to a quiver?

Seems a natural for freeride and for wave oriented, if indeed it minimizes catastrophic crashes when front wing breaches. That in particular seems useful for surf/sup applications.

I wonder what kind of patent/copyright limitations there may be for other manufacturers developing a canard foil? Has zeeko and crazyfoil sewed it up? Or does it just require just enough design variation to get past the patent? Or maybe others can just license the design. Dunno...will be interesting to see how things play out over next year.
I'm still enjoying mine after 3-4 months. I set it up exactly the same as my green and white - the mast is in exactly the same spot and I find them ok to switch between.

I love the spitfire for doing downwinders in waves but still prefer a regular design for flat water cruising where upwind angels are important. I've not ridden either foil with a race foil kite , just Leis but I find the spitfire a but harder to get upwind on.

Smaller faster kites seem to suit the spitfire more.

aleks
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Ontario
Gear: RDB, Elf
Brand Affiliation: WOO, RDB, Elf

Postby aleks » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:16 am

borist wrote:
Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:05 pm
Question to Spitfire users: do you change between canard and classic design foil often? Same day?
As someone already mentioned, I also found switching between them more difficult than I imagined. My setups are Spitfire with pocket board and Spotz2 and floatier board. Once dialed in on Spit, going back to Spotz seem to take me quite a while to get comfortable again. Makes me think that I might have to choose one type and stick to it. Which at this time would be Spitfire
Going to Blue & White is not a problem, but switching back to Spitfire needs 15 min adjustment - feels twitchy and unstable comparing to B&W. Works fine after adjustment.

BTW, I finally figured out how to do pumping on Spitfire. Front foot driving didn't work (dives), neither did back foot driving (not even sure how to do pumping with back foot). Turns out you need to pump with BOOTH feet! About equal pressure on each foot. Just point the board slightly down and push with booth feet, works almost as well as on a regular foil. :D :D :D

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:47 pm

Going to Blue & White is not a problem, but switching back to Spitfire needs 15 min adjustment - feels twitchy and unstable comparing to B&W.
I would quit by the time I re-adjust to other foil :lol:
Right now I'm having so much fun with Spitfire that I don't even think about using my other foils. With practice my low end is getting very close to spotz2 except upwind performance and "pop" on take-off. For carving this thing feels great. Better in chop as well. Plenty fast although feels a touch slower than spotz. It is 100% Spit in foreseeable future. If anything, I'd like it to be little bit lighter.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 am

I currently own 3 foils and switched off between 8 different foils and the spitfire including LP, Moses Slingshot, Ketos , Zeeko GW carver , Spotz Tuna. It is not hard to switch between conventional and canard but you will find is that the Spitfire is way more forgiving and natural to ride very easy going at all speeds and so predictable to recover especially in rough and sloppy conditions.

The reason the Spitfire is my go to foil now is because it works in very low winds due to its low drag and fast acceleration it builds apparent wind very quickly flies upwind and very comfortable downwind. It's also extremely maneuverable and allows you to hold a ton of power. I recently rode it in 30 knots with a 7M Ozone Reo (yeah I was way overpowered but it wasn't scary)

Maybe it isn't for everyone and there is definitely a little adjustment from conventional foils but its all good IMO

I think there is room for improvements with the Spitfire for example the weight the fact that zeeko masts take on water and the annoying whistling it makes. I would love to try some different wing sizes as well

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:54 am

airsurfer wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 am
I currently own 3 foils and switched off between 8 different foils and the spitfire including LP, Moses Slingshot, Ketos , Zeeko GW carver , Spotz Tuna. It is not hard to switch between conventional and canard but you will find is that the Spitfire is way more forgiving and natural to ride very easy going at all speeds and so predictable to recover especially in rough and sloppy conditions.

The reason the Spitfire is my go to foil now is because it works in very low winds due to its low drag and fast acceleration it builds apparent wind very quickly flies upwind and very comfortable downwind. It's also extremely maneuverable and allows you to hold a ton of power. I recently rode it in 30 knots with a 7M Ozone Reo (yeah I was way overpowered but it wasn't scary)

Maybe it isn't for everyone and there is definitely a little adjustment from conventional foils but its all good IMO

I think there is room for improvements with the Spitfire for example the weight the fact that zeeko masts take on water and the annoying whistling it makes. I would love to try some different wing sizes as well
Can I ask how much you weigh? How does it compare to the Carver?

Return to “Hydrofoil”