Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby kiterocky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:33 pm

Thats the future....
:D

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:51 pm

The Zeeko windfoil has already been shown, and it isn't a Canard design. Nico has already said that there is maybe going to be a racing/speed type of foil and a low wind high maneuverability foil. Will there be a Canard windfoil (hopefully for a SUP/WINDSURF/FOIL board)?

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby irwe » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:53 pm

I think Zeeko is on to something with the Spitfire. After Beginners the Freestyle.Wave,Jumpers will make up the biggest segment of the Foil market.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:56 am

geron wrote:the front wing is smaller because the back wing produces lift as well and the lift of both ad to the total lift; is this unique to this foil? Do all the other directional foil's back wing produces negative lift?
The french hydrofoil Gong Elevator is also based on a lift / lift configuration , but with a standard big wing at front and smaller wing at back (both having positif Angle of Attack). It raised a lot of discussions on french forums and tests/users proved that it changes the foot pressure partition, helped the slow planning and low wind abilities, and was good for the first rides for beginners but was limited in speed. Skilled riders had to add an intermediate "wedge" piece to bring the rear stabilizer back to a negative AoA (so negative lift like on quite every standard foils) , to go faster.

That is the only one I know appart from earlier tests on custom hydrofoils years ago.

For this Zeeko great innovation, that I am also very curious about ( and trustfull a priori knowing zeeko experience), I don't know if the speed is similarly limited , knowing that for carving and surf ( which is its objective), speed is not the main requirement , and can even become an ennemy ...).

geron
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Progreso,Yucatan
Gear: TT & foil

Postby geron » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:41 am

It is not only lift lift, it is also inverted with the large wing on the back

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:01 am

Indeed, i was just developping your question whether other directional foil had a positive lift at rear wing.

At first thinking, I would say that thanks to the little wing located at the front , Spitfire can generate more easily a kind of counter torque (to balanced kite torque) like a standard HF, hence will accept more speed than would a lift/lift with small wing at rear (like the Gong), but to be confirmed by Nicolas from Zeeko or tests.

gbrungra
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Stinky's, San Diego, CA, USA, and Nantucket, MA, USA
Gear: Griffin 17m TRX 2014, Cabrihna 12m Vector 2014, TTs, Camet 160 and SS Hoverglide

Postby gbrungra » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:04 am

Does anyone know if this would be a good foil to learn on? I need a foil to learn and then freeride in the light winds of San Diego...

I like the idea of a canard for learning, because it may help with the "porpoising", since when the front wing breaks the surface and loses lift the whole setup should settle back into the water. Sort of a soft-stall effect.

But, I'm not wild about being a guinea pig on a totally new design, that may end up in the scrap heap of history...

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:31 am

I reckon this looks really interesting and would love to ride on in Perth (hint hint pls get some demos over here zeeko )

Can't wait to read some test reports in due course.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:47 am

Jzh_perth wrote:I reckon this looks really interesting and would love to ride on in Perth (hint hint pls get some demos over here zeeko )

Can't wait to read some test reports in due course.
You paying for the plane ticket?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:27 am

gbrungra wrote:Does anyone know if this would be a good foil to learn on? I need a foil to learn and then freeride in the light winds of San Diego...

I like the idea of a canard for learning, because it may help with the "porpoising", since when the front wing breaks the surface and loses lift the whole setup should settle back into the water. Sort of a soft-stall effect.

But, I'm not wild about being a guinea pig on a totally new design, that may end up in the scrap heap of history...
You answer your own question.

0 people have learned on this new type of design yet many have learned on the traditional design. I say buy a standard foil to learn on then you can benefit from asking multiple people questions on progression and learning.

When you reach a reasonable level and are considering an upgrade there will be more experienced users out there using this product and you will be able to get feedback on whether it would suit you or not.

Or blaze a new trail. Be the first to learn on the backwards foil. Note that blazing a new trail usually involves flames. Yourl either blaze into the sunset like a legend or you will go down in a burning heap of failure!

Return to “Hydrofoil”