Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby airsurfer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:57 pm

Yesterday I really got to appreciate how smooth and fun to ride this foil is. Conditions were very gusty 17 to 25 knots some higher gusts and some big lulls ocean swells and breaking waves I was on a Ozone Reo 7M and really had no issues. Dropped on on some swells and did some turns on the waves so nice and easy I felt like I could really relax going down the face instead of being scared out of my mind on my regular foil. Now I can't wait until my skill level improves so I can truly unlock the full potential of this foil.

I really don't think it needs a bigger wing but if it becomes available I'm willing to give it a try.

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, .5's, D's and few old BWS kites

Slingshot Skim Boards, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn El Stubbo/Shinnster/Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Zeeko Carver/Spitfire Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:31 pm

I have the El Stubbo Zeeko Blue/White with Carver Wing and the Shinnster Spitfire. I have been running them back to back for last month and here is my opinion.

Because I have a tendency to ride "natural" only (no feet swapping), I much prefer to ride the Carver wing in low wind conditions. The carver is rock solid, consistent and steady on healside or toeside. I really struggle to maintain a steady ride when toeside on the spitfire in low winds. For healside, the Spitfire is great low wind conditions.

In high wind conditions, the Spitfire works well healside or toeside and is really very forgiving for breaches. The carver is not forgiving for breaches.

Having said all the rubbish above, I am also interested in a Carver style wing on the Spitfire (hoping it improves the low wind toeside performance).

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:05 pm

borist wrote:
blue pearl wrote:So been messing about with the foil placement settings on the Zeeko Spitfire and the Air Race.
So settings I will be using is the recommended stock 27.5. When the foil is moved more forward the board and foil feel less dialed not as stable at higher speeds and little more lively in the turns (less controlled).
Does that correspond to Zeeko sketch as far as front footstrap/foil strut location (37cm)? distance from the tail is only useful for Air Race board obviously. If this foil is a bit more back foot balanced, I wonder if back foot location needs to be more precise as well?
I found the 37cm to the front strap was important for my setup and balance on the air race board. MY front strap is full forward in terms Of the mounting holes, which resulted in the back bolt of the plate at 29cm from the tail and not the 27.5 as recommended. But it's relative in that if I set the mast at 27.5 and moved the front strap back 1.5 cm it would be as per Nico's settings.

But It's working we'll as is so I'm leaving it for now and just riding as much as possible.

Big Wally
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: Tanzania
Favorite Beaches: Wherever there is Blue water
Style: Ocean only
Gear: Undecided

Postby Big Wally » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:23 pm

Would the Spitfire be the easiest Foil to learn on for a beginner?

Thanks

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:53 pm

Around here we have had quite a few riders of various levels try the spitfire and we all feel that it is not difficult to ride. But nobody has concluded that it would be particularly easy to learn on. A foil with a big slow wing is still probably easiest, but you would outgrow it soon.

☺ CG

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Starsky » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:57 pm

@ CG

What are your thought on the spitfire?

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:15 pm

It is fun and lively and turns very well. Some riders like this, while others (who are racers) prefer the sold stability of more conventional designs. I guess it is personal preference. I have only had two days on it so I am reluctant to say much more.

:wink: CG

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Hollywood Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Aruba Boca Grandi
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Firewire surfboards Vader and Vanguard
LP and Slingshot Hydrofoil
Ozone Enduro, Reo, Chrono 2
Naish Pivot
BRM Cloud

Postby airsurfer » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:18 pm

I actually can't believe how stable it is especially in open water I can fly over white water and swells like with a surfboard without having to be so deliberate and careful to not breach the front wing like on the traditional foil. It's also not as affected by whitewater like my large carbon wing.

At least for me the hardest adjustment so far is jibing especially coming out of an aggressive jibe I'm so used to putting weight on the front foot to keep from breaching the surface this causes the spitfire to touch down . It actually likes fast and tight turns that would make my other foil stall or breach. I'm also feeling like I need to put a lot of pressure on my rear foot to stay foiling on toeside which I'm sure has more to do with my skills and time on the foil.

So far so good though I haven't felt a need or desire to go back to my carbon foil. However the whistling "orchestra" is getting worse and is annoying me but I'm hesitant to "tune" a new foil especially with my limited knowledge of this design. Any suggestions are welcome.

dantonia
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: zeeko air wave and spitfire

Postby dantonia » Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:15 am

Hi guys!
does anybody know where this whistling noise comes from and if there is anything to do to stop it?
and another question maybe not in the right thread but still... :D
I have a zeeko air wave 2017 board and would like to know what it's volume is, anybody knows?

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:32 pm

dantonia wrote:Hi guys!
does anybody know where this whistling noise comes from and if there is anything to do to stop it?
and another question maybe not in the right thread but still... :D
I have a zeeko air wave 2017 board and would like to know what it's volume is, anybody knows?
If it happens with the Spitfire, but not the Zeeko Green and White, it might be useful to check if there is a difference between the trailing edge of the masts?
Maybe ride the mast fast, on its own, without the wings mounted?

Return to “Hydrofoil”