Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Zeeko Spitfire Hydrofoil

Postby Seabizzle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:36 am

Hi zeeko ( and everyone else) I have a couple questions.

I currently have the spitfire with just the original smaller wings, I had been planning to buy the xlw wings as well. Now I am wondering if maybe I just buy the xxlw wings instead. I am interested in doing some sup foiling but probably won't jump straight into that straight away as it is a pricey quiver to put together when you factor in the cost of an appropriate sup foil board.

Will the xxlw wings fit on the current mast/fuse or if not what adaptions will be needed? I understand a shorter mast will be essential for sup foiling.

Also my other question- when will the spitfire wings be available with avs? I am wondering if I should be holding out for that.

Thanks

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:42 am

XXLW will fit on your fuselage / mast. Might have to use some slightly longer screws in places due to the bigger wings being a bit thicker.
I think it's intended to be used on a shorter mast, but maybe for kitefoiling, a full mast won't hurt.
I've used the xxlw wings on my 75cm mast with a kite, and it felt pretty good. 9m/10kts. There's still a decent top speed, and it didn't feel like the foil was overpowering me, unlike the other surf foils I had tried before. Might be due to the wingspan that stays reasonable. There's potential!

Waiting for a conversion on my surfboard to take it out the way it was initially intended, but it's still legit with a kite, not sure it'll replace the xlw set as the go to option, but on some days, this could be fun.

max
Very Frequent Poster

Postby max » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:21 am

Seabizzle wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:36 am

Will the xxlw wings fit on the current mast/fuse or if not what adaptions will be needed?

Thanks

Answer is yes . . . however, my understanding is that the larger wings require that the mast have the beefed up attachment plate at the board end.

Also . . . no jumping apparently.

I would be keen to know Zeeko's thoughts on its use as a kite foil on the longer 90cm (87) mast . . .

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:20 pm

Some time ago Nicolas might have said that the XXLW wings were only for 70cm max and no jumping.
But maybe the testing has proven otherwise.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:46 am

According to Zeeko using a XXLW Spitfire on 90cm mast is not possible and will damage the mast and plate.

Zeeko
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier, France
Style: all styles
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko
Been thanked: 0

Postby Zeeko » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:43 am

Hi,
I confirmed not to jump with the XXLW wings. After some jump (but it is also the case for most of the SUP wings used as kitefoil), you could have troubles with fuselage and mast connexion.
We made the choice to keep one fuselage for all wings, and jumping is definitely more fun with XLW or Standard wings.

XXLW need to be used with the windfoil plate (reinforced compare to the regulare spitfire plate) because the leverage of the big wings is higher.

About using XXLW wings for kitefoil, yes it works, and it is very fun to use. Usually we do not recommend to use longer mast than 70cm, but if you have very choppy conditions, you can use a 90cm, but with this lenght of mast, I have more fun with the XLW wings.

For your information (the news will be available soon) we are introducing in our team Gautier Garanx and Julien Molia from Anglet (Biarritz). They are super professionnal and know exactly what they want.
After seeing our product they want to use the spitfire XXLW for surfoiling.
And the first tests are awesome. They tested several foils and definitely they jumps to the spitfire XXLW. They feedbacks is the spitfire is very easier to use for surfoiling (the use to paddle surfoil and also use a water scooter) and is the only foil they feel they can carve with.
Here a pic about Gautier and its capacity to surf big waves (he's a winner of the XXLW wave contest, and Julien was qualified for the final of the 2017 XXLW wave contest).
Hope to show you vid' and pics soon.

In addition, here is an explanation about the spitfire genesis

http://zeeko-kites.com/gb/blog?id=32

Finally about the AVS, we are working on the next production of XLW wings with the AVS. More news soon.

Ride easy
Nicolas

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:47 pm

Zeeko wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:43 am
Hi,

For your information (the news will be available soon) we are introducing in our team Gautier Garanx and Julien Molia from Anglet (Biarritz). They are super professionnal and know exactly what they want.
After seeing our product they want to use the spitfire XXLW for surfoiling.
And the first tests are awesome. They tested several foils and definitely they jumps to the spitfire XXLW. They feedbacks is the spitfire is very easier to use for surfoiling (the use to paddle surfoil and also use a water scooter) and is the only foil they feel they can carve with.
Here a pic about Gautier and its capacity to surf big waves (he's a winner of the XXLW wave contest, and Julien was qualified for the final of the 2017 XXLW wave contest).
Hope to show you vid' and pics soon.

In addition, here is an explanation about the spitfire genesis

http://zeeko-kites.com/gb/blog?id=32

Finally about the AVS, we are working on the next production of XLW wings with the AVS. More news soon.

Ride easy
Nicolas
Thank you Nicolas - I enjoyed reading the blog! :thumb:

One big disappointment! - Since the first Spitfire appeared, I have been waiting for the windsurf version!
I agree that the windsurf market is as you say - almost all freeride using windsurf boards (and likely to stay that way).

The wave and freestyle sides of windfoiling are only tiny parts of windfoiling now, but the canard foils you have developed could be the key to those markets for windfoils becoming quite big (for waves at least). The freestyle could become quite spectacular, but may be more suitable for pro level sailors. The better characteristics of the canard Spitfire foils for carving and jumping will be popular eventually in windfoiling IMO.

Seabizzle
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Woodmans point, Leighton, Cottesloe, Scarborough
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui, Augusta Western Australia, Lancelin Western Australia
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: BWS Noise pro 10m, BWS noise classic 6m, Naish Fly 17m, Wainman Gambler 5'10"(R.I.P.) North Pro series 6'2, unidentified twin tip

Postby Seabizzle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:00 pm

Thanks very much for the replies zeeko and everyone else, as I had originally planned I think I will just get the xlw wings and wait a bit longer to get into the sup foil side of things, I still have a long road on my kite foil journey :D

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:51 am

Some thoughts on the Zeeko Spitfire XXLW.

For my weight, I found the original zeeko wings too small. The XLW wings were much better, but I found them a little to fast in the surf. So I decided to grab the XXLW unit (thanks RAL INN).

I have the 60cm mast and I attached the foil to my Naish Hover 155.

It took me about three minutes to work out the new balance points (have been riding the Naish Surf Thrust for last 12 odd months).

Once I figured out the balance points, I had no issues at all riding healside, toeside and gybing.

I did breach quite a bit over my 44km ride which typically resulted in a big slap down nose dive. I recovered about 25 percent of the time from the breaches. I would recommend the 70cm if you are going to kite foil, and hopefully Zeeko will bring out a 90cm mast.

I proceeded to take the Zeeko out into the one to two foot runners and it is super fun. Speed was generally under control as you pushed down the wave and it was easy to turn back into the wave.

Really nice and lively in turns/carving.

It pops up very easily at low speeds and had a top speed of around 30km/h.

I found it pretty easy to ride high for sand bar crossings.

Happy to recommend this beast for kitesurfing

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:32 am

Great comments Bigtone667.
Great to get you back from those geriatric foils.

3Inlets Windsports. (RAL INN in another forum)

Return to “Hydrofoil”