Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Frozen/corroded bolt

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
clydesdale
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Frozen/corroded bolt

Postby clydesdale » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:36 pm

Any tips for dealing with a mast head ss bolt (aluminum mast) that is stuck- salt corrosion has locked it in place and now I have rounded out Allen head hole. Have easy out bits but haven't tried them yet. Assume though just work for rounded out heads vs salt corroded bolts. Drill it out fully and retap?

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Frozen/corroded bolt

Postby Eltreato » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:16 pm

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:10 am

You could use a large bit(slightly bigger than shaft of bolt) and drill down so it removes the head from the bolt. Then use a quality pair of vise grips on the remaining bolt.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:45 pm

What treatment do you recommend for brand new mast/head to prevent/alleviate such a problem? I don't actually intend to ever separate them, but still don't want rust to compromise the joint strength. I was thinking of covering bolt threads in some kind of glue or plastic to prevent water penetrating the thread. Any recommendations?

Thecopterdr
Rare Poster
Gear: BRM Cloud, Slingshot LF2 foilboard, Flysurfer Sonic FR
Been thanked: 0

Postby Thecopterdr » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:11 pm

There are dozens of various anti corrosion products out there. I would get into the habit of pulling things apart on occasion as prevention is far easier than having to drill out a bolt. If you damage an insert then you really are in a world of hurt. Stainless steel does not play well with others....

gilana
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Weight: 70KG
Local Beach: We live on our sailing yacht and at the moment we are in the San Blas Islands of Panama, and we sometimes have visiting guests to come spend a week of wind with us...

Laura and Mike
Favorite Beaches: Chameys in San Andres Isla Colombia
Yansaladup in Kuna Yala Panama
Style: Old School
Gear: Ozone Edge 9m V8
Ozone Edge 9m V9
Ozone Edge 10m V9
Caution Santa Cruz Redline 132 TT
Epic Droid V2 135x41 TT
Chemical 132 TT
North Directional
Brand Affiliation: None, I wish.

Postby gilana » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:04 pm

First try is to get a left-handed drill bit, if it binds it will start unscrewing, which is what you want.

To prevent this in future use Tef Gel.

If all else fails, drill the screw to reduce the amount of stainless steel.
Go and buy a pound of Alum (KAl(SO4)2·12H2O) AKA hydrated potassium aluminium sulfate.
Commonly sold in pharmacies as a blood coagulant for shaving.

Crush it and dissolve in water, a strong solution, and then immerse the mast and screw in it. If you have an aquarium air pump leave it bubbling and agitated all night, by morning the screw should be gone.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:23 am

I would soak it in crc overnight. Get a dremel out grind a blade notch in the head. Heat the mast up with a heat gun and try and undo with a blade screwdriver. Then if that failed it would be drill the head off drill into the bolt and extract with an easy out.

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. Tried the extractor bit method but struggled with it. Took the mast to a local aluminum boat retailer and guy had a trick for corroded bolts. He used a hardened steel rod n hammer to bang on the bolt head a few times and that loosened up the stuck bolts and was able to get them out.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:47 pm

Another trick next time this happens if you have rounded off the allen is to get the next size up wrench size and use a hammer to hammer it into the bolt. Hammering it in will create a new allen hole one size bigger. You can also use this trick with bolt heads that get rounded off, you go one size smaller and hammer on the socket size. Usually you end up having to throw away the socket used for this as it gets wedge in so good but worth it not to have to tap in a new hole. You can also put a tac weld on the socket to make sure it will stick again you'll have to throw away the socket but worth it not to have to tap new threads. I wouldn't actually weld a tac when you are so close to aluminum tho as you'll probably melt it but it's useful remember for other stuck bolts. If you do end up drilling it out, it's useful to buy a heli-coil so that after you tap the new larger threads, the heli-coil can be inserted so that you have threads that match your old hole and don't have to have this one odd sized bolt, you can use the same thread size as before.

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:48 am

I damaged the fuse on a LF Foil Fish trying to drill out a frozen stainless bolt. Drilling is really a last resort - I've learnt that lesson. Soaking in CRC, heat, larger Allen all preferable to drilling. On YouTube I've seen guys welding a nut onto a stripped bolt and getting it out that way. Lesson learnt.

Return to “Hydrofoil”