Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moses HF 2017

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders


live2play
Rare Poster
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby live2play » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:09 pm

Thanks for all the info and reviews Frank.
Looking forward to hearing about the Comet mast.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:46 pm
Kiting since: 1998
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: AXIS boards, Ozone kites, Moses hydrofoils, HB surfboards, Dynabar harness + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Contact:

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby Frank Rosin » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:24 pm

live2play wrote:Thanks for all the info and reviews Frank.
Looking forward to hearing about the Comet mast.

I will receive those next week.
Very curious, but pretty sure already that it will be loooooong!

After testing the 41 and 71, back on the Vorace the 101 felt pretty long.
Another 10cm on top of that... massive.

Cheers,
Frank
http://www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:46 pm
Kiting since: 1998
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: AXIS boards, Ozone kites, Moses hydrofoils, HB surfboards, Dynabar harness + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Contact:

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby Frank Rosin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:23 pm

live2play wrote:
Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:09 pm
Thanks for all the info and reviews Frank.
Looking forward to hearing about the Comet mast.

Received the Comet and just unboxed and mounted it, here are the pics:
https://www.famousfrank.de/2017/03/10/moses-comet-111/

Image

Off to the beach for testing now!

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses

live2play
Rare Poster
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby live2play » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:53 pm

Any initial thoughts on the Comet mast? Really interested in this one.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:46 pm
Kiting since: 1998
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: AXIS boards, Ozone kites, Moses hydrofoils, HB surfboards, Dynabar harness + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Contact:

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 pm

live2play wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:53 pm
Any initial thoughts on the Comet mast? Really interested in this one.

It is and feels long. No surprise really.

Image

I tested it back to back with the Vorace 101 mast using the same wings.
The difference is massive.
It feels very stiff in any direction, at least as stiff as the shorter 101.

Image

I have been riding all Moses masts lately, coming from spending a few weeks on the new Fluente 91 mostly, then testing the 101 and then also the 41 and 71.
It may seems strange but in a way to me the 111 stands out as much as the 41.
Both are extreme length and require riding style adjustments.
While 71, 91 and 101 I felt at home on immediately, 41 and 111 are different and need a lot more attention at first.
With the 41 I guess most will understand immediately and probably don't care about, but with the 111 personally I got the feeling that it has massive potential for racing, in the hands of a rider that is spending a lot of time on this length making the most of it on extreme upwind angles and rough waters. Then it will be awesome due to its very direct and crisp feeling and its length of course. Especially in rough open ocean racing conditions it can shine.
While for me riding strapless only and mostly riding short tacks with a lot of maneuvers, often spontaneous maneuvers it is actually relatively tricky to ride as it is not as responsive as a shorter mast which can be an advantage for racing maneuvers as it adds stability in a way, but on the other hand makes it more difficult to ride for me being used to a different riding style, it is messing with my timing and the input I give to the foil normally.
So at the moment it seems like it won't be my number 1 choice even when entering races, as I am not training for racing specifically, so won't be on this length much as it does not support my riding style the most. This may change, who knows, but for now the 101 would be my personal choice for racing.
Long story short, I see it as a dedicated race mast for dedicated racers. Which is exactly what it is designed and marketed for.
People who want to optimize everything for racing are facing an excellent choice here.
Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses
Last edited by Frank Rosin on Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

live2play
Rare Poster
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:44 pm
Kiting since: 2007
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby live2play » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks for the fast response.
Good insight into the Comet vs Vorace masts.

With foils, it still surprises me how much small differences can affect feeling/handling (this example being only a 10cm mast length difference).

pikovsg
Medium Poster
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat May 07, 2016 4:08 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: West Dennis, Pleasure Bay, Chapin, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe. Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul
Gear: North, BRM Cloud, Lift foils, Concept Air Pulsion, Levitaz foils, Moses foils, Slingshot, Cabrinha, Flysurfer, Ocean Rodeo, Evolve GT, Ollin Freeride, Onewheel
Brand Affiliation: None
Contact:

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby pikovsg » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Frank Rosin wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:27 pm
live2play wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:53 pm
Any initial thoughts on the Comet mast? Really interested in this one.

It is and feels long. No surprise really.

Image

I tested it back to back with the Vorace 101 mast using the same wings.
The difference is massive.
It feels very stiff in any direction, at least as stiff as the shorter 101.

Image

I have been riding all Moses masts lately, coming from spending a few weeks on the new Fluente 91 mostly, then testing the 101 and then also the 41 and 71.
It may seems strange but in a way to me the 111 stands out as much as the 41.
Both are extreme length and require riding style adjustments.
While 71, 91 and 101 I felt at home on immediately, 41 and 111 are different and need a lot more attention at first.
With the 41 I guess most will understand immediately and probably don't care about, but with the 111 personally I got the feeling that it has massive potential for racing, in the hands of a rider that is spending a lot of time on this length making the most of it on extreme upwind angles and rough waters. Then it will be awesome due to its very direct and crisp feeling and its length of course. Especially in rough open ocean racing conditions it can shine.
While for me riding strapless only and mostly riding short tacks with a lot of maneuvers, often spontaneous maneuvers it is actually relatively tricky to ride as it is not as responsive as a shorter mast which can be an advantage for racing maneuvers as it adds stability in a way, but on the other hand makes it more difficult to ride for me being used to a different riding style, it is messing with my timing and the input I give to the foil normally.
So at the moment it seems like it won't be my number 1 choice even when entering races, as I am not training for racing specifically, so won't be on this length much as it does not support my riding style the most. This may change, who knows, but for now the 101 would be my personal choice for racing.
Long story short, I see it as a dedicated race mast for dedicated racers. Which is exactly what it is designed and marketed for.
People who want to optimize everything for racing are facing an excellent choice here.
Hope this makes sense.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses
Frank - great feedback, thank for the write up. With you having tried all the masts so far, can you tell us similar feedback about the other masts? Mainly what do you find the big difference and uses on 101 vs 91? What is the best use of 71?

I have the Vorace 101 and the 550 / 330 freeride and also the new 548 / 325 wave wings, and mostly looking for wave riding and carving/freestyle. Curious about the other mast lengths.

Flag53
Medium Poster
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:19 pm
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby Flag53 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:27 am

Hey pikovsg what do you think about the new 325 rear wing compadres to the 330 ?

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 567
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:46 pm
Kiting since: 1998
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: AXIS boards, Ozone kites, Moses hydrofoils, HB surfboards, Dynabar harness + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Contact:

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby Frank Rosin » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:39 am

pikovsg wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Frank - great feedback, thank for the write up. With you having tried all the masts so far, can you tell us similar feedback about the other masts? Mainly what do you find the big difference and uses on 101 vs 91? What is the best use of 71?

I have the Vorace 101 and the 550 / 330 freeride and also the new 548 / 325 wave wings, and mostly looking for wave riding and carving/freestyle. Curious about the other mast lengths.

I started to write kind of a guide for the complete Moses range, listing all masts and all wings and possible combinations combined with my riding impressions.
Will take a bit of time to finish though.

Quick answer for you for now:

Switching between 101 and 91 is very easy for me and does not really need any time to get used to the other length.
The 101 obviously offers more length and more tolerance between board on water and wing out of water. While the 91 is a but more reactive.
For high maneuverability and riding in rather flat water doing quick maneuvers all the time on little room I prefer the 91.
This I like to combine with all wings up to 558 (548, 550, 558)
When mostly doing longer tacks the 101 is what I go for. Combined with 558 or 600 mostly.
Both are great allround lengths for me, on both I can do whatever I want basically.

The 71 for me is super fun, feels very playful.
I can do all maneuvers on it in rather flat water.
I also like about it that it makes me focus on precise riding as of course the tolerance between board on water or wing out of water becomes way smaller, especially on maneuvers.
It feels good with 548, 550, 558 wing.
I would think it could also be a great wave riding option when the conditions are right and also great for jumping I would guess, as I am riding strapless only I can not really tell, but I had the feeling that I would like to jump on it (which I normally never get when foiling!) and because of that started to do a few strapless airs, with nice wipeout landings, but I see potential... we'll see... :)

Flag53 wrote: Hey pikovsg what do you think about the new 325 rear wing compadres to the 330 ?

My experience (but very keen to hear from other people that used both too!):
The 325 gives a more loose, lively, reactive feeling. More playful overall.
While the 330 feels more locked in, provides more tracking and roll stability.


Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil/moses
Last edited by Frank Rosin on Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flag53
Medium Poster
Posts: 74
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:19 pm
Kiting since: 10
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moses HF 2017

Postby Flag53 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Great reply , thanks Frank !


Return to “Hydrofoil”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: stevez and 4 guests

cron