Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Silente wings for light wind

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Silente wings for light wind

Postby abel » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:31 am

I'm fine with the HP560 wings that comes standard with the Silente, but I wonder if a bigger or lower aspect front wing will be better/easier for the lighter winds.
I have no issues waterstarting, but keeping the tack is kinda difficult, especially on lulls.

me: 78 kg beginner; kite: 12m single strut; wind: 8-11 knots

Recommendations will be appreciated.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Re: Silente wings for light wind

Postby Frank Rosin » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:20 pm

I feel the 560 is a great light wind wing. Probably the best one of the current Moses range.
The older Silente wings I do not think can be considered a better option for light winds.
I believe it is not the wing to blame if things don't work as expected.

Cheers,
Frank

www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:47 pm

Hi abel,

it is as Frank said and also written here: http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 08#p958108
For really light winds well underneath 10 knts you need not lower,but higher aspect wings (in the water and on the sky),
but for sure in combination with volume boards and very much experience.

Just with a high AR and therefore low drag wings you can accelerate to high speeds, save kinetic energy and then pass also a 50 m 3 knts lull just by consuming the before saved energy and slowly dissipate the speed. Low aspect wing wont be able to save so much energy due to lower Vmax and will consume it too fast in a lull due to too much drag. But needless to say, passing between for example 12 knts of gusts and 3 knts of lulls just takes very much experience and can end in a swim, but is very much fun, if it works. :D

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:22 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:Hi abel,

it is as Frank said and also written here: http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=19 ... 08#p958108
For really light winds well underneath 10 knts you need not lower,but higher aspect wings (in the water and on the sky),
but for sure in combination with volume boards and very much experience.

Just with a high AR and therefore low drag wings you can accelerate to high speeds, save kinetic energy and then pass also a 50 m 3 knts lull just by consuming the before saved energy and slowly dissipate the speed. Low aspect wing wont be able to save so much energy due to lower Vmax and will consume it too fast in a lull due to too much drag. But needless to say, passing between for example 12 knts of gusts and 3 knts of lulls just takes very much experience and can end in a swim, but is very much fun, if it works. :D
Ok, I understand higher aspect is better. Thanks.
What about larger area?

Return to “Hydrofoil”