Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foilmount

Postby plummet » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:13 pm

Yeah. its a temporary solution at best. I certainly would not trust it. I think the best case scenario is a damaged board over time. Worst case loose your foil.

But that begs another question. Which foils float? Since mine had a bamboo core it floats! So at least if it snaps off I may be able to collect it and head back to shore.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:45 am

Here's a video demonstrating the strength of the mount. After seeing this I definitely think the board itself will be the weak point:

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:27 am

The glue might be strong when you first mount it, but i'd be worried repeated heating and cooling in the sun could led to failure eventually. I know i've put on deckpads with 3m glue before that started to delaminate after a few months of use.

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:38 am

Kiting is essentially banned at my local spot in the summer but windsurfing is game on still. I will take the chances on one of these on a beater sailboard if it gets me out in the light winds.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:18 am

I would expect that if cleaned and primed and installed as per 3m instructions all would be fine. They make buses and trains etc out of this stuff, so it sticks.
But you are only mounting to that bottom layer surface, so would have to trust that.
Heat would have to be like 150C for 30 odd minutes to have any effect. UV is an issue if it can get to the bond layer, so here it can't.
Some solvents will attack the bond but probably destroy everything else before the bond. Silicons attack polyurethane adhesive but I'm not sure if this 3M VHB is effected the same.
So system should work, just needs a board that you want to permanently modify that will itself stand the loads.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:47 pm

So has anyone used this product?

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:57 am

Bletti wrote:
Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:27 am
The glue might be strong when you first mount it, but i'd be worried repeated heating and cooling in the sun could led to failure eventually. I know i've put on deckpads with 3m glue before that started to delaminate after a few months of use.
The 3M adhesive on your deckpad is different than what's on this mount. Hollywood dangles camera gear worth more than your car off of mounts adhered with this stuff.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:08 am

My foilmount failed. Not a bash just some info.Going to call company tomorrow and give them my experience. Mounted on my ss spacepickle wakesurfer. It has a slight v so I used the version for this application. When I mounted it I placed 8' boards from my basement ceiling to keep pressure on the mount,left for a couple of days.I've used board 6 times for about 8 hrs.Had a great 2 hr session on perfectly flat water today.Noticed toward the end of session the board seemed to be pointing down toward the water when I was up on foil.When I examined the board it was the rear part of mount that was coming off.So it wasn't an impact stress failure it was the stress of the leverage of the board vs foil.I'm a novice so I'm not really stressing out the foil.The double sided tape stayed on board so it wasn't a prep problem. Also the skin of board was still adhered to foam so that doesn't seem to be an issue.Thinking about just bolting the plate through board.
Attachments
20170907_192722_1504826969227_resized.jpg

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 3:36 am

So it separated between the tape and the mount? The part that was stuck at the factory?

I just put one on a SUP, so thanks for the info. I'll keep a careful eye on mine.

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:05 am

Sure seems like a great idea to use a STRUT ,T bar leash and bright colored also, hunter orange and signal yellow work well.
Personal experience, know of a few lost forever even after scuba search, expensive carbon T bars, some failed at board and some at fuse.
Maybe a float test before as most do not.
I would not even trust araldlite, although it rocks,
http://us.aralditeadhesives.com/index.p ... 42&lang=us
alone as connection method, mechanical as well IMHO!
R H

Return to “Hydrofoil”