Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk
Brand Affiliation: None

Foilmount

Postby Eltreato » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:10 pm

I came across this yesterday and thought it was interesting. Perhaps I will use it to make a mount on an old sailboard. Obviously I'm a bit leery about sticking an $800 foil to the bottom of a board, but if it holds up it could be an alternative to inserting track boxes.

http://www.foilmount.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhxUXUlRZs

Alvaro
Medium Poster

Re: Foilmount

Postby Alvaro » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:24 pm

I will wait for the reviews on this product, but I have to give it to the americankiteboarding.com guys for always think of new things.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:35 pm

@5:31 Is he angry because the thing peeled off the board and he lost $1500 piece of equipment?

Speaking of "it can be mounted on everything", does this plate stick to a board with nontrivial amount of rocker?

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:01 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:@5:31 Is he angry because the thing peeled off the board and he lost $1500 piece of equipment?

Speaking of "it can be mounted on everything", does this plate stick to a board with nontrivial amount of rocker?
I was wondering the same thing about a board with a shallow-v bottom.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:06 pm

And what if it sticks to the surface fine but the board structurally is not strong enough and falls apart...

Pemba
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Murrebue
Gear: Eleveight FS, Shinn Bronq

Postby Pemba » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:34 am

Frank Rosin wrote:And what if it sticks to the surface fine but the board structurally is not strong enough and falls apart...
That's what I would be worried about as well. I've got a board with thin epoxy skin and styrofoam filling. I'm sure if I'd mount it on that board it would at least crack the skin. Still it's a great idea. If you could put a similar thing on top you could bolt it right through maybe.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:20 pm

Pemba wrote:
Frank Rosin wrote:And what if it sticks to the surface fine but the board structurally is not strong enough and falls apart...
That's what I would be worried about as well. I've got a board with thin epoxy skin and styrofoam filling. I'm sure if I'd mount it on that board it would at least crack the skin. Still it's a great idea. If you could put a similar thing on top you could bolt it right through maybe.
Then it would'nt be easy and simple anymore...

As if you bolted it through, you also have to do glassing to secure no water gets inside - otherwise it is only a matter of time till the core of your board is toast :cry:

The idea is good, but IMO not very useable as way too much localised load on most boards.

Even a glassed box will wear if not extremely reinforced - so quite a lot of straing on the board.

8) Peter

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:55 pm

It would only make sense to use it if you wanted to try foiling, had a plate mount foil, didn't want to buy a foil board, and had a board you didn't like (because you would wreck it with the mount stuck in place).

Apparently you can remove the Foilmount but you can't re-use it if you do. That's $160 down the drain.

I still think the best way to try foiling is to buy a cheap, used foil and board, learn how to do it, then buy something nicer.

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:51 am

I believe the 3m double sided tape used is called VHB tape (very high bond)
It is 3M's answer to Sikaflex
It does require a primer. It can be removed from both surfaces with Toluene or MEK
And new tape applied although it comes in rolls of various widths so it wouldn't be the one piece cut to shape specifically made for foil mount one shown.
This then opens up to anyone with a CAD program that can save to a dxf file, to send it off to a machine shop to make their own.
Of course you could just cut a 6mm piece of alloy plate drill your mount holes and tap to 6 or 8mm countersink and fit countersunk stainless screws and Sikaflex 252 it to the board in your sights but prime first.
Or just get a nice new board

Jzh_perth
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Scarborough, wa
Style: Hydrofoil, Sufboard and TT
Gear: Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: Flysurfer dealer

Postby Jzh_perth » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:21 pm

anyone using a Foilmount and can give feedback ? What a great idea to get more people into the sport, to breakdown the barriers to entry.
Last edited by Jzh_perth on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”