Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Game changer - Onewheel teaches how to turn on a foil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Game changer - Onewheel teaches how to turn on a foil

Postby pikovsg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:14 am

Original OP here - wanted to add that riding the Evolve GT electric skateboard also does wonders to your hydrofoiling technique. At times, I may even like electric skateboard a tad more than kiting or foiling.

Yeah.

It's that good.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:41 am

Do-it wrote:
grigorib wrote:
Starsky wrote:IMG_3290.JPG

It's awesome, but not without its downside!
That really sucks! Besides me two people I know wiped out fairly hard. Usually damages are torn closes and bad scratches, no broken bones, knock on wood. And don't tell me about protective wear, since there's no body armor for below the knee or to cover the hip. Asphalt is hard and abrasive.
My Segway pushes back well at any speed, be it in learning or full power mode and really limits it to 12-12.5mph in full speed mode. But wiping out off the Onewheel because it bites the ground at full speed is just BS and asks for firmware update or recall which hopefully comes before class action suite. Hopefully it'll come before Chinese knockoffs will be first to address this issue. That'd be really embarrassing.

Segway......lol stop post here
Huh? Why should I? Segway is closer to skiing sensation but certainly it has better and definitely safer firmware. Have had it for last 8 years, put almost a thousand miles on it and still love it. It still goes for 16 miles on original set of batteries which no other electric skateboard or onewheel would.
That being said I have the onewheel too and I had electric skateboard for a while.
I like to ride be it a skateboard, ATB, onewheel, twintip, foil or door board - it's fun and I hope you enjoy your rideables too.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:51 am

A lot of people complaining about safety... Have you ever landboarded inland spots? The most common wind in my inland kitespot is 0-20 knots and anything between and goes up and down without warning, but I use Ozone Chrono v2 which have nice windrange. But Onewheel doesn't look more dangerous than mountainboarding in these conditions.

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Lift 150, Moses 637
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:01 pm

You will fall hard on the Onewheel. Guaranteed. But only while learning, after 2-3 weeks you don't fall anymore.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:15 pm

Hahahaha! Sorry man, that's funny.

There are a few falls when learning the parameters, but the hard bails happen later once you've got it more or less dialled and you get over confident. On top of that there are the ever constant risks of ridding in urban settings where you are the smallest least visible, least durable and least expected commuter in the food chain. A few months in I had a moment of reflection that shifted my riding to the conservative end in order to allow fun use of this toy for the coming years without dying. A few weeks later I fell on concrete at a near standstill and broke my radius. Nothing is safe. Ride carefully and have fun.

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Lift 150, Moses 637
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:19 pm

Starsky wrote:A few months in I had a moment of reflection that shifted my riding to the conservative end in order to allow fun use of this toy for the coming years without dying.
Starsky, can you tell me more of that moment of reflection and also what happened. I think I know...

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:55 pm

Nothing crazy. Mine was the first this end of the country so I couldn't ride anywhere without people approaching. Had cars follow me, cops stop me, and people from just about every age and walk of life want a go. Let at least 50 people on it that first while. It just showed me how stupid people are. They nod, and say yeah, and then do exactly what you told them not to. I just realized that I should cherish my time on it, cause once they start selling, people will start killing themselves on them and then there will be restrictions. Much like kiting at our very sketchy local I realized complacency would be the problem. That's why I laughed at your post. I set a few ground rules for myself and changed how I go about using it. Still, your never safe. Takes amazing awareness and vigilance to use a onewheel safely in urban settings. It's not how well you ride, it's the unpredictable nature of other people. Getting hit by a car is one thing, sending a 25 lb piece of metal and wheel into a toddler who steps out is another and there are thousands more, ghastly scenarios that rank right up there with the hazards of kiting.

Mostly keep it to the pace I can run off it now. The new one goes even faster and that will be an issue. You bail at 25 km/h and your going down. The new one goes 30. If anything, I want more range, not more speed. Range has gone down on the the new one as the new motor has more draw on the same power pack.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:00 pm

grigorib wrote:...That really sucks! Besides me two people I know wiped out fairly hard. Usually damages are torn closes and bad scratches, no broken bones, knock on wood. And don't tell me about protective wear, since there's no body armor for below the knee or to cover the hip. ....
Protective wear for below the knee or the hip or all other parts of the body you will find in dozens of versions on the market for all needs, like these two:

(Which I use for muni when trying new things and happy with it)

But I think the style potential of all that self stabilizing mono wheels is already close to the boarder, so that nobody wants to lower it with protection wear :wink: .
Seriously, I think this is the problem talking about safety on electrical mono wheels. On the other hand the last shown protector would greatly fit to a segway :lol: , ... sorry for that one :) .
grigorib wrote:Get a skateboard, live life, be your own hero!
My words and I also think there is a point you are to old to start behaving age-appropriate so don't care just do what you want. :thumb:

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:05 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:Protective wear for below the knee or the hip or all other parts of the body you will find in dozens of versions on the market for all needs, like these two:
But I think the style potential of all that self stabilizing mono wheels is already close to the boarder, so that nobody wants to lower it with protection wear :wink: .
Seriously, I think this is the problem talking about safety on electrical mono wheels. On the other hand the last shown protector would greatly fit to a segway :lol: , ... sorry for that one :) .
I guess I learned some. Too much armor, I agree.
Not sure why so much aversion to Segway. Guys were the first and shaken down the logic pretty well.
Used to be quite expensive but onewheel is not the cheapest too.
But hey, anything that gets you surfing park paths counts and even on trips there are days without wind.

So far onewheel is the closest to foiling and certainly is the "drug substitution" in snowless winter.

Keep it on!

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:10 am

No hate, they are a marvel, but have never actually wanted one. Bought a onewheel within days of first seeing it. Sideways stance is the ticket. I would say there are aspects of the ride that are similar to foiling, but snowboarding is the closer cousin.

Return to “Hydrofoil”