Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Swim out and drift launch with a foil board techniques

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Swim out and drift launch with a foil board techniques

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:12 pm

If I needed to do this, I would probably try the reverse of the self rescue the Houston guys have detailed here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4sKnHmjSRs

So, Rig on beach, wrap up lines (wrap centre lines only for first couple of metres as that should stop the kite powering up as you unwrap), paddle out on board, sit on board and unwrap lines.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:47 pm

Prefer the the compact and snag proof idea of a properly loaded stuff sack to loose and looped zig zag lines. If I have learned anything about drift launching its that loops of line knot and snag easily and get unwieldy fast.

A tight sack Keeps the lines compact and cleanly spools them out at the rate of drift. Works on any kite without any modification, bridled or not. In reality I only have a couple of spots where it's required.

There is no one way. Drift launching requires a whole set of skills, takes practice and requires decent judgement. Simply trailing the lines cleanly behind me has been the best option in most cases. The stuff sack has gone well at spots where there are shoreline snags or weeds. I prefer it to unwinding from the bar.

I think a specifically configured 5th line can be a good tool for swimming deployment and recovery of LEI kites. I'll play around with my 7m fuel this season to see if I can launch in a way as to enter and exit the water with the kite in the air, upside down, flying off a few feet of 5th line. Requires at least 10 knots, but you can play the kite out to almost full line length without it touching the water. A nice low drag way to get out there that eliminates the risk of the kite tumbling. Mostly contingent on the location of the 5th line attachment to the LE. Ideally you could also recover the kite by ditching it, and it would take off and fly off the 5th while you wind the lines, allowing you to exit through line coating weeds, or slippery sketch rock/reef. Board under one arm, bar in the other, kite flying auto stable with zero lofting potential on about a meter of line.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:12 pm

Starsky,Thanks!
Can you describe this "properly loaded stuff sack to loose and looped zig zag lines" method? Not sure I am familiar with it. It is a variation of the "bucket" drift launch I guess.
How to properly load a sack and how to spool. Also, what kind of sack to use? Can you post a picture?

[quote="Starsky"]Prefer the the compact and snag proof idea of a properly loaded stuff sack to loose and looped zig zag lines. If I have learned anything about drift launching its that loops of line knot and snag easily and get unwieldy fast.

A tight sack Keeps the lines compact and cleanly spools them out at the rate of drift. Works on any kite without any modification, bridled or not. In reality I only have a couple of spots where it's required.

fun2kite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Singapore
Favorite Beaches: Secret spots around Asia
Gear: Foil: Moses
Kite: Fone Breeze, Flysurfer Sonic FR

Postby fun2kite » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:32 pm

Found this old thread on the same topic: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2392330&p=926687& ... ck#p926687

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:45 am

how about a buoy to tie the board to it?
its how I launch at my home spot...

lieutenantglorp
Medium Poster
Gear: Any
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby lieutenantglorp » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:33 pm

K-Roy wrote:how about a buoy to tie the board to it?
its how I launch at my home spot...
Yes. A jetski PWC anchor works great. It is just a screw in anchor or weighted anchor with a line ending in a float with a caribiner. Set it up in shallow good wind area, or set it up at low tide if normally too deep and body drag to your board once you get the kite up.
A-2382-2.jpg
A-2382-2.jpg (99.39 KiB) Viewed 605 times

Return to “Hydrofoil”