Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot Ghost Whisperer Foil

Postby TomW » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Moses fuse is circular in section. I have one. Be a real pain to get that thing stabbed into me, and frankly, I fear it. Already call the thing " Jaws" after ripping up my wetsuit during 3rd ( crash) session. too bad you mess up the finish by reshaping it.
Peter, would you just make a bulbous round tip and tail? will it effect foil performance?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:47 pm

TomW wrote:Moses fuse is circular in section. I have one. Be a real pain to get that thing stabbed into me, and frankly, I fear it. Already call the thing " Jaws" after ripping up my wetsuit during 3rd ( crash) session. too bad you mess up the finish by reshaping it.
Peter, would you just make a bulbous round tip and tail? will it effect foil performance?
A bulbous round "tip" ? Assume you mean nose ?

No problem - did that with my first hydrofoil which was extremely pointy too, and in theory the drag difference is so small or not present, that you can not feel any difference IMO, I for one would never have a pointy nose.

The tail ? You could do the same - but the tail never "fly" towards you, like the nose does ?
Make it rounder if you are afraid of hitting it with your feet - but usually after a year or so, you never hit the hydrofoil accidentally nomore before starting or when handling the board.

Although, if you ride in medium or bigger breaking waves, yes, the hydrofoil could tumble all around tail first - yes :roll:

8) Peter

3InletsWindsports
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shallow Inlet, Corner Inlet, Andersons inlet.
Favorite Beaches: Shallow Inlet, Point Danger.
Style: freeride
Gear: Zeeko
Brand Affiliation: Zeeko importer in Australia
Has thanked: 0

Postby 3InletsWindsports » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:46 am

I find it a bit irritating that the big kite companies are buying in technology rather than contributing to the development.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:58 am

3InletsWindsports wrote:I find it a bit irritating that the big kite companies are buying in technology rather than contributing to the development.
Eminem feat. Dido wasn't bad....

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:49 am

3InletsWindsports wrote:I find it a bit irritating that the big kite companies are buying in technology rather than contributing to the development.
yes, somewhat- but on other hand its a small industry and co-operating concentrates limited finances to a company with core competence and allows them to move ahead faster in early days of development curve. It might take Slingshot a long time to catch up if ever, organic growth is slow.

If things grow, then its ripe for consolidation and companies get bought up, or JV´s formed.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:00 pm

Bulbous tail doesn't make any sense: it would negatively affect performance by creating turbulence. Bulbous nose, however might slightly increase performance. Unlike bulbous tails, bulbous noses are common in marine vessels: tankers, submarines, and even latest generation aircraft carriers. Needless to mention that a century ago all ships and submarines had sharp noses.

The fact that hydrofoil manufacturers still insist on sharp noses highlights that hydrofoil construction is still voodoo craftsmanship rather than science, influenced by gut reaction what shape makes underwater objects fast.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:41 pm

tegirinenashi wrote:Bulbous tail doesn't make any sense: it would negatively affect performance by creating turbulence. Bulbous nose, however might slightly increase performance. Unlike bulbous tails, bulbous noses are common in marine vessels: tankers, submarines, and even latest generation aircraft carriers. Needless to mention that a century ago all ships and submarines had sharp noses.

The fact that hydrofoil manufacturers still insist on sharp noses highlights that hydrofoil construction is still voodoo craftsmanship rather than science, influenced by gut reaction what shape makes underwater objects fast.
Bulbous nose wouldn't make a lot of sense with a foil since you don't need any nose. The good foils have wings built into the fuselage so that there's no "nose" to speak of. The goal is reduced frontal area...adding a nose where there need be none is just foolish. I think the only noses you'll continue to see on foils will be for designs that have a fuselage with a removable front wing, i.e. Alpine and what not.

Spotz, Mike's Lab, Levitaz, Delta, Banga, Taaroa, and KFA all have a smooth front wing leading edge with a fuselage mounted to the rear.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:05 pm

It's a mystery why it's pointy then. There's no mechanical reason the point could be blunted or shaped so it's at least not protruding in front of the wing leading edge.
I'm going to take a look at it thus weekend and make a proposal to Moses and see what they say.
Probably voids warranty, ya think?
MK091-960x466.jpg

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:07 pm

I could cut off nose at an angle, lower edge at wing leading edge, 30-40 degrees angled back, then round off edges.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 pm

TomW wrote:It's a mystery why it's pointy then. There's no mechanical reason the point could be blunted or shaped so it's at least not protruding in front of the wing leading edge.
I'm going to take a look at it thus weekend and make a proposal to Moses and see what they say.
Probably voids warranty, ya think?
Yeah it probably does...it's just a manufacturing thing, their design is more modular and easier to pop out a variety of wings that way. That's how the Sword2 is put together as well. Making an attached front wing + fuselage like the newer race foils is definitely a bit of a compromise in terms of disassembly and makes changing wing setups a more expensive proposition.

I think it's because of this that the Moses and Sword2 line up are right on the border between the top-end and race offerings. What they give up in outright performance they make up for in having a wider consumer base because they have more options. Levitaz has really figured this out well in that they have a low frontal area wing/fuse construction that's also just as modular as Moses.

Return to “Hydrofoil”