Who's turned their wings around?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Who's turned their wings around?

Postby Starsky » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:01 pm

And how did it go? Zeeko being the only ones to put out a canard foil, I'm wondering if anyone has seen others working with the concept. So far there have been two people on here who reported trying it with the first gen alloy foil from zeeko. In both cases they were able to ride. I'm wondering if anyone has tried it on other foils? At a glance, the LF foil looks like it wouldn't be very hard. Seems to me, it would be pretty easy for the home build guys as well. At most it would only require building a fuse.

Wont get my foil on the water until spring, but have made a few simple parts for smooth mounting of the wings reversed.

Sleekest set up so far is the simplest, with the front wing mounted under the fuse, but you can see just by looking at it that wash from the front wing could impact the larger main wing as they are almost directly in line. I don't think its coincidence the Spitfire has the front wing elevated.. Likely to get the wash clear of the main wing. Seems to fit with reports the spitfire feels stable at slow speeds while turning, but likes a little more speed going straight. The first Canard (crazy foil) also has a pretty big offset in depth between front and back wing with the front wing down a few inches deeper than the main wing.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Re: Who's turned their wings around?

Postby juandesooka » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:35 pm

Hopefully some first hand reports come through!

Seems like it will work with my stringy. Front would be elevated roughly 2.5" from rear. I would need to make a connection to shim the rounded edge of foil against flat fuselage.

No experimenting here until the steady dependable wind in spring.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:27 pm

It should work keep in mind it's not just the angle of the front wing on the Spitfire it also has significant camber and width compared to most rear stabilizers and provides an impressive amount of lift (see photo)
Attachments
20170119_114006.jpg

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:45 pm

juandesooka wrote:Hopefully some first hand reports come through!

Seems like it will work with my stringy. Front would be elevated roughly 2.5" from rear. I would need to make a connection to shim the rounded edge of foil against flat fuselage.

No experimenting here until the steady dependable wind in spring.
I am hoping that Jim ends up trying this too and ultimately selling such a shim to users of his existing foils.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:09 pm

It's hard to tell from pics. Front wing on the Spitfire doesn't look all that different from the rear wing on their alloy set up. At least in general plan form.

Regardless, if we have learned anything, its that lots of different wing shapes work on conventional set ups. Hopefully the canard is similar.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:29 pm

Starsky wrote:It's hard to tell from pics. Front wing on the Spitfire doesn't look all that different from the rear wing on their alloy set up. At least in general plan form.

Regardless, if we have learned anything, its that lots of different wing shapes work on conventional set ups. Hopefully the canard is similar.
Yes, we dont know, way too early, if it will be a thing to stay that works much better in turns (for waves t.ex) so many will change, or it just is a different setup that also works, with ups and downs, or if the downs are substantial in the long run in some regards :roll:

Time will tell - exiting :naughty:

8) PF

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:54 pm

Are there other foils that have a wing mounting set up that would allow for reversing the configuration? Are any of the top foils out there mounted with flat surfaces?

Someone on a LF should at least try it out. If it works, just think how much crow revhed would have to chow.

I wonder if the guys at Zeeko knew it could be done a couple years ago when they launched their first alloy set up. Cant think of any other explanation for the spacer behind the front wing that they pretty quickly designed out. It's exactly the space needed to mount the wing in reverse.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:20 am

If I can fix my LF board I'll try it...

gmasiak
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Skyway Bridge in Saint Petersburg , Fl
Favorite Beaches: Lido Beach in Sarasota, FL
Anna Maria Beach, North Desoto Beach
Style: Freeride, Foiling
Gear: Lift Foils 110 and 150 with Zeeko AirRace board.
Pulsion UL 12m ,OR Flite kites.

Postby gmasiak » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:19 pm

Starsky wrote:Are there other foils that have a wing mounting set up that would allow for reversing the configuration? Are any of the top foils out there mounted with flat surfaces?

Someone on a LF should at least try it out. If it works, just think how much crow revhed would have to chow.

I wonder if the guys at Zeeko knew it could be done a couple years ago when they launched their first alloy set up. Cant think of any other explanation for the spacer behind the front wing that they pretty quickly designed out. It's exactly the space needed to mount the wing in reverse.
I have a 2015 Zeeko foil and was also wonder why we need this plastic spacer ..maybe for the future development ? The rear wing has a 3 deg. angle "build in" but then they use another plastic adapter which make the angle of AOA zero....If this is just left over from R&D work ?

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:43 pm

Obviously they figured a few more things out in developing the spitfire, but that first foil may very well be the first convertible set up.

It only takes fabricating a piece similar to the plastic tail shim that came with it and you have a really clean set up. The new piece needs to be threaded. I cut down a twin tip fin, then filled out the shape with two part epoxy putty. Will post a pic one day after I get a change to test if it was worth doing.

Return to “Hydrofoil”