Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Help - how to tack? Especially strapless

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Help - how to tack? Especially strapless

Postby OzBungy » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:59 am

I could do with some tacking assistance. I've done a fair few attempts.

I carve around and either stop, or do a full 360.

If I stop the nose of the board doesn't go far enough around to do anything useful. I can usually recover and ride off downwind (ie continue in a straight line with no tack).

If I go all the way around I almost always get pulled backwards off the board. Very rarely I will end up sitting in the water and water start. That means I've done a bum splash 360.

I've tried all the look under the arm things and leaving the bar all the way out and all that. I still get dragged off the board by the kite.

All the people I see pulling off gybes are usually riding hard upwind, they then rise up, switch their feet and the kite, and ride off. It looks very smooth. There's no super hard carve involved.

I watched Greg Drexler carving around and he just seems to ride around independent of the kite movement. I've tried going really fast, bringing the kite up, then letting go of the bar completely. All the usual things happen. I stop, or get around and dragged off.

Blackrat
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Knysna, South Africa
Gear: old
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Blackrat » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:48 am

Would it be easier to get a surfboard and learn on that first ? Or would those skills not be used ?
I'm just thinking that you can go at a much more aggressive upwind angle on a foil that you can on a SB , so this means the amount that you turn thru the tack is a lot less

Worth it ?

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:19 pm

My goal for this year is the tack (surfboard and foil), as it seems to be for most riders who have mastered the basic skills. Even if I get 50% success, I'll be happy. I am watching this excellent tutorial video over and over in order to "mentalise" the move before my first attempts.
The tack starts at 2:40. On the water first and foiling next.

phpBB [video]

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Naish, North, Ozone, MikesLab, Taaroa

Postby cglazier » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:55 pm

The video above is fine for beginning learning jibes. But DO NOT learn the tack the way they show it above. That is the old jump tack which nobody uses because it is extremely difficult to foil through (stay airborn) when you progress. It is much better to learn the proper roll tack. (I know because I wasted effort learning to do those old jump tacks and then I had to start over to learn the proper roll tack.)

https://vimeo.com/102126847

Here is a good video on jibes.
https://vimeo.com/96855534

You certainly will not foil through these moves as you begin to learn, but you might as well learn the right technique so eventually you can.

:wink: CG

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:09 pm

There is no foiling tack in above video Alexrider :roll:

But a "regular" tack like carried out on all directional yes.

The duck tack or roll tack, is a foiling tack and the one most uses.
More difficult indeed, but the best and smoothest way to tack without getting the board down :naughty:

The jibes though in the vid, are perfect education indeed, and spot on.

The rider here, Stephane, is extremely good and can do ALL transitions.

A "normal" tack is much more difficult to make foiling, but he can as one of the few...

The "Roll Tack" which is THE way to tack a hydrofoil, and racers use nothing but this, can be seen here at 2:33

Hope it explains ?

Just saying, that doing the classic normal tack is fine, I do it too sometimes - but doing it full foiling is next to impossible unless you are on his level :rollgrin:

8) PF

jonysan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Saunton, Weston S Mare, Bournemouth
Favorite Beaches: La Morne Mauritius, anywhere warm
Style: Wave , hopefully smooth
Gear: Naish Pivots, F-One Mito 5.8,

Postby jonysan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:38 pm

Now I see it !! I can see the point, thank's for posting that video.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:28 am

Blackrat wrote:Would it be easier to get a surfboard and learn on that first ? Or would those skills not be used ?
I have never had any luck tacking a surfboard. I have a touch more luck tacking a foil, but still not getting any better.

I have seen all those videos. They don't help at all. The rider just carves up wind and ... tacks. There's no detailed breakdown on how to do it, and how to solve the problems that arise.

In my windsurfing days Peter Hart had a series of articles and videos that broke gybing down into all the steps with remedies for all the technique problems. It only took a couple of days to master carving gybes. I have been trying tacks for years and not getting much better. It is very frustrating.

stevez
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Gear: Moses hydrofoil
BRM cloud

Postby stevez » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:23 pm

Ozbungy, I can relate to your frustration.

I've been trying to learn to tack to toeside, and can't seem to figure out how to get around, yet. I'm having pretty much the same experience as you.

Maybe it would actually be easier to learn with a foot change. At least you step around the lines into an easier position to ride away from. Or so it appears. Like Frank does here.

phpBB [video]

Not changing feet, the lines seem to be in the way, and I can't figure out how to get past / around them.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:23 pm

Franks videoclip is just awesome :thumb:

He is making close to perfect roll tacks, and then at the end when he crashes, the dry comment from the videoguy is "THAT was good" ha haaa, it was the moment he loved to get on video :naughty:

Somewhat just like in the old days, when we were windsurfing standing on the rail on the wrong side of the sail doing tacks, performing the most difficult hardcore freestyle possible - and the grandmas on the beach always said: Look, he can not do it right :rollgrin:

8) PF

phyx1u5
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1
Local Beach: Jomtien Pattaya Thailanf
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park 10m

Postby phyx1u5 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:35 am

im not sure how to embed videos, but this clip breaks down the tack nicely

https://youtu.be/tJ9FmXnQQG0