Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Moving up from the Hover Glide

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Alvaro
Medium Poster

Moving up from the Hover Glide

Postby Alvaro » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:18 am

I think I am ready to move up from my Slingshot Hover glide and Flight school masts system to a lighter carbon foil.

I am eternally thankful to the flight school system for helping me get to this point, now I am ready for the next step. What could be the logical next buy? I am looking to free ride, work on transitions and basically spend more time on the water with a lighter set up.

I thought of the new Ghost whisper just because it is carbon, it looks more free ride oriented than speed or very high aspect, and because I had a good experience with Slingshot overall, but I haven't tried it or any other foil for that matter.

Could you suggest options and reasons?

Thank you

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Moving up from the Hover Glide

Postby grigorib » Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:32 am

I'm riding MHL Lift which is lower aspect and comparing to Hoverglide I can ride Lift in less wind and that adds to my days on water. Mine is 2013 version, weigh 7.2 lbs. which feels featherlight compared to Hoverglide.
Not sure what to upgrade to either, love my foil.
Last edited by grigorib on Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:51 am

I moved from the Hoverglide to the Shinn El Stubbo/Zeeko with Carver Wing. They both felt about the same speed (I think this was more about the speed of the kite than the foil), but the Carver wing is awesome to ride and turn on.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 am

Around here quite a few people went with the Moses Fluente when they had to do the same switch.
Amazing foil with exceptional value for money.
By the way, you would switch from one of the heaviest foils to one of the lightest production foils.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:31 pm

So many good options! If you buy new from a recognized manufacturer you really can't go wrong these days. I sort of listed them in order of what I think I'd do if I had to replace my current Delta Hydrofoil. My advice would be to research the brands and then either go direct to the company or find a retailer who sells the brand you're interested in and try to get a package deal for buying the foil and some other stuff at the same time. It makes sense to ride the manufacturer board that they suggest because the box/strap placement will likely work well for the center of lift of their wing setup. If you ride a track system instead of a box you can adjust more easily, but many of these foils come only as a tuttle or probox.

Delta (made in the USA!)
Banga
Levitaz
Taaroa
Moses
Slingshot GW (really a Moses)
Zeeko
Spotz
Ketos
The new MHL's are really nice, had a chance to look over the whole lineup in person in St. Pete last fall and talk with the designer Nick
F-One
Mike's Lab is probably the best but good effin' luck finding one for sale.

Return to “Hydrofoil”