cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Re: Hydrofoiling has ruined me a bit.

Postby cwood » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:05 am

Flyrace or twin tip with daggerboard is the only other answer in my opinion....gives you the upwind that a regular twin tip can't touch....and boosting is extreme because of the tension the dagger allows you to create. Biggest issue is that they are not made any more. The designer of it is looking to make another series of twin tip dagger boards however.

Love the boosting on the foil....we are doing 40 to 50 feet in sub 20 knots. Such a blast. But to the point of the OP, even getting on the Flyrace feels crude now and the upwind angles are still nowhere near a foil.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:05 pm

plummet wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:10 am
I love the upwind angles and smoothness of foiling, the ability to adventure further afield. But I dislike the limitation of the mast height in the water. I also dislike the long learning curve before you get to a state of unconscious competence, not being able to ride a wave and boost on the same kite in the same conditions is reducing my freedom to one or the other while on the foil. That halves my fun. I have grown used to the sensation of foiling. Even tho it is cool it has become normal and not better than the other sensations I get kiting. When i get back on my normal board i love the freedom of not having to worry about the water depth or ventilating wings, The powered boosting and carving waves is fun when i'm powered up. But I hate the upwind angles of my normal board and the non smoothenss through chop. Light wind normal kite surfing is dead to me.

So I find myself wanting the best of both worlds.... if i could get the silly upwind angles of the foil with the versatility and fun of my mutant that would be kiting nirvana for me.

Ahh,,,,

Where too from here?

I will probably build a new mutant with a view to improving its upwind to bridge the gap between foil and standard. I'll work on the foil skill to get more of my skill set in that unconscious competence state. See how things progress.

Anyone else hit this foiling doldrums stage?
yes 100%

at first any kiteboarding is exciting because you're learning and its a new experience. then it gets boring just mowing the lawn

then foiling is exciting because you're learning and it's a totally new experience. then it gets boring just mowing the lawn

there are definitely some legitimate disadvantages to foiling since you have a 3m long axe attached the bottom of the board. its fun for what it is, and the freedom to basically go anywhere. but i dont think itll ever be as fun as riding any other kind of board for me personally. i have zero interest in jumping or wave riding with a foil, the feeling is just too awkward and not very rewarding to me.

so i am still riding the foil during the summer here because we get a pretty consistent 10-12 knots most days, but i only picked it up I think 5 times during the windy season, because i'd much rather be riding a surfboard. it's still fun to cruise around when there's nothing else to do, but not every day and only for 30-60 minutes max. just something to kill time until autumn rolls around again and we get real wind

it definitely kind of sucks going back to a "regular" board after you're used to pointing so much higher upwind, but you get used to it again after a while :lol:

its always important to have different gear for different conditions, the foil is simply the best light wind tool right now

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:32 am

Sure, there's the challenge of learning something new, and some of us are mostly excited by the challenge part, like learning a new freestyle trick, and for those, not learning anything new would feel a bit like a let down.
Some others, and I include myself in that category, see foiling as a part of the whole arsenal, a board suited well to some conditions, alongside TTs, surfboards, snowboards, buggies... And once some decent level of proficiency is reached, they can be enjoyed by themselves for the sheer beauty of this feeling of kitesurfing without really having an element of challenge in them. If I ride a twin tip, which has happened less than 5 times last season, I'm unlikely to try any new trick, or even try to reenact the whole bag of tricks I used to have few years ago. Yet, I can still find few hours of bliss in slicing buttersmooth water, boosting big jumps and enjoying the view. Riding a nice wave on the surfboard doesn't depend on high challenge level, just being right in the moment, in sync with the elements. Foiling fits that bill too. I'm at the stage where I can ride wherever and transition without (much) falling, and while there's still some challenge ahead with better/faster transitions, it's already enjoyable on its own for what it is. The feeling of traversing the whole spot fully downwind on the foil into the sunset, only to crank back upwind to the top of the spot to do it all again and again, those are some magical moments that I live for, and definitely fuel the addiction.

Keep the stoke, bro!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:55 am

bragnouff wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:32 am
Sure, there's the challenge of learning something new, and some of us are mostly excited by the challenge part, like learning a new freestyle trick, and for those, not learning anything new would feel a bit like a let down.
Some others, and I include myself in that category, see foiling as a part of the whole arsenal, a board suited well to some conditions, alongside TTs, surfboards, snowboards, buggies... And once some decent level of proficiency is reached, they can be enjoyed by themselves for the sheer beauty of this feeling of kitesurfing without really having an element of challenge in them. If I ride a twin tip, which has happened less than 5 times last season, I'm unlikely to try any new trick, or even try to reenact the whole bag of tricks I used to have few years ago. Yet, I can still find few hours of bliss in slicing buttersmooth water, boosting big jumps and enjoying the view. Riding a nice wave on the surfboard doesn't depend on high challenge level, just being right in the moment, in sync with the elements. Foiling fits that bill too. I'm at the stage where I can ride wherever and transition without (much) falling, and while there's still some challenge ahead with better/faster transitions, it's already enjoyable on its own for what it is. The feeling of traversing the whole spot fully downwind on the foil into the sunset, only to crank back upwind to the top of the spot to do it all again and again, those are some magical moments that I live for, and definitely fuel the addiction.

Keep the stoke, bro!

Yeah man. That's about where I'm at.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:12 am

this is spot on from Bragnouff...

"The feeling of traversing the whole spot fully downwind on the foil into the sunset, only to crank back upwind to the top of the spot to do it all again and again, those are some magical moments that I live for, and definitely fuel the addiction."

Return to “Hydrofoil”