Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Boogie board, for a cheep compact foil board?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
jaros
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Boogie board, for a cheep compact foil board?

Postby jaros » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:27 pm

I am not sure about the flex, but it is this model: http://epikoo.com/kiteboarding/gear/kit ... -skim-2013
I will try to bend it.
Greetings,
Jaros

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:00 pm

Has a bit more rocker than most skims and pretty rigid/heavy construction. Technically Ply, but its all maple with no particle board layers in the sandwich. Shows no bend when foiling. I'll dig it out and post a profile shot of it so you can see the rocker. Its a bowl shaped rocker in that it has side to side as well as nose to nose rocker for easy skimming. I think that helps cut down on flex. Built as a flat land skim more than a wave skim. True twin tip with no parallel in the rail line or tail shape. Meant for sliding obstacles so super tough top and bottom skin.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:41 pm

I have owned that skim board and it was great as an all-round skim board but i think it has to much flex for a foil board .

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:47 pm

IMG_3456.jpg
IMG_3457.jpg
IMG_3455.jpg
attachment=1]IMG_3466.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_3466.jpg

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Postby tahoedirk » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:03 am

If it were stiff enough, I think a body board might be pretty cool! Very user friendly , unlike it's counterpart, and I would have to learn to ride strapless. Hot wire it in half, add some glass and epoxy it back together I guess??? Are they big enough?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:54 am

TomW wrote:Plummet, Starsky. Agree.
Crowd makes the call on what's junk or not if you have it.
My call would be if you really are ready to take it to junk yard, yeah it's junk.

Bletti, you have to include hours to source, buy, build and the cost of the shinnster.. So I don't think you'll win.

The idea to take a bit of plywood and attach to bottom of boogie board sounds like efficient use of resources. Plywood and boogie could be free. Plus 1-2 hrs.
Well, I can build this in no time and no money. But it will be a junk :)

Got the alu Manta mast and it's a factory junk (was $50, plus shipping). Building a carbon fuselage is about $10, carbon wings about $30-40. A fuse who knows.

All together with no board about $100.

However, the work hours are steep. The gardener here is charging $45-60 per hour. I recon this is the reason why there are almost no DIY boards and HF's in here.

D.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:45 am

So boogie board idea is out. Core is polystyrene which is a bit of a pain in the arse. I do have an old snapped surfboard i was given. So junk board will be repurposed sb.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:26 am

I think the body board will still work on top of my diy carbon shinnster foil plate and perhaps a thin piece of plywood below to reinforce so my heels are better supported. When I get back to Australia I'll buy a body board off gumtree for $5 and some longer screws and try it out. Don't really care about whether it counts in the official kiteforum competition or not. I'll weight the carbon plate when I'm back but it's about half a kilogram.

I've been also considering putting more effort into building a paulownia/cedar split board that will fit in between my foil plate and another carbon/wood joint so I can get a 1m long foil and foil board (130-140cm assembled) travel package. Might be another economy build option.

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:53 am

Here ya go Plummet.

"I used this stick on Foil Mount on a Booger with a Lift Foil (the beginning and end of video)..We ended up destroying the Booger bending it half and it stuck like sh!t to blanket ." Piros.

https://vimeo.com/204671768

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 pm

Love the vid. Would be super fun towing in.

The cost of that stick on mount plus what looks like a decent boogie board is in the same ballpark as what you can spend on a skim for a little more viable long term solution.

The attraction of a two in one solution is not trivial. A surfboard with a foil mount is an option. Almost any board will work, but swing weight is an issue. I'd definitely go with the Shorter non pointy MPH designs. Only issues to work around are the bottom channels that are pretty key to those designs and keeping the weight and flex reasonable for use as a kite surfboard. A good option if your building the board from the ground up. I bet good builders like Terry at Jellyfish could work one up easy enough.

For anyone looking to add a foil to an existing board the skim is the easiest option.

I'f I ever go to a carbon foil, I'll no doubt mount it to a carbon skim that kites well on its own.
That would be the ultimate combo for a set up with no compromise as either a foil or a skim.

With wake and now finned surf oriented skims, they are evolving into really viable kite boards for places with less than head high waves. Also great aerial boards in everything from lagoon flat to shorebreak to lake swell.

Return to “Hydrofoil”