Moses Fluente vs Levitaz Elemnt Vs Ketos so light/cool

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4
Brand Affiliation: None

Moses Fluente vs Levitaz Elemnt Vs Ketos so light/cool

Postby flaps1111 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:32 pm

I'm looking for a new foil to progress, I'm prioritizing the low-end (and ultra low-end 6-7 knots but I can be able to sail at about 15-16 kn), ease of use to do foiling jibes and tacks, I'm not interested in Vmax or Race.

My options are 3:

-Moses Fluente ( or vorace mast to chenge later to a freerace win)

-Levitaz Element (waiting for March for the new wing)

-Ketos so light new wing XL (or FR2)

The board would be a very light custom carbon , about 30 liters. 145x47

My level is 5 months sailing with a Moses Silente and wings 425. I weigh 78 kilos.

Do you have any suggestion?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Moses Fluente vs Levitaz Elemnt Vs Ketos so light/cool

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:39 pm

I can not comment as I havent used more than one of the brands...

The Ketos XL I almost know, as I have the tad smaller Ketos Easy (10% smaller only), using it for marginal wind and if the wind drops and I dont want to rig another kite, OR, like you, for trying new things that require the ability to foil at lower speeds.

But as soon as over the "marginal" limit, I use a medium wing instead, for almost "everything" - also learning new tacks and jibes.

Would recommend the FR2 then, as it is still 18 % bigger than my freeride medium wing FR(1), as you are about my weight Flaps.

The FR2 still has a size that can be pumped onto planing in marginal winds I would say, but have the advantage that it is faster so with good technique you might be able to start just as early, and then you wont change the wing if the wind picks up :thumb:

Also depends a bit on your marginal wind kite, a LEI or a foil kite ?

As said, the huge wings are better in the utmost marginal winds, but has a very limited range before you will shift down (you dont have to, easy to ride with the big wings when windy, but you somehow just want more speed even for a non racer like me)

Can not compare to the others in any way as said...

I just know, having 2 masts, 3 rear wings, 4 front wings, from Ketos - that they KNOW what they are doing, in terms of being excellent at carbon design and layout :naughty:

Do you still have a hydrofoil now, or are you going for ONE new one, or a new one with several wings ?

8) PF

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:28 pm

Hi Peter_Frank

I have already a Moses Silente and a carbon board Arriba Arriba130x47 that is an easy foil to ride but not so good to do foiling jibes or very stable in speed. My kites to foil are one-strut LF Solo 12 mts and Ozone Chrono v1 12 mts that I bought last autumn to learn "the art of flying a foil" and the limits in lightwind. With more than 12 knots I use a 9 mts North Fuse.
I always go to the beach with a surfboard and an hydrofoil I start with HF and when the wind picks up to 18 knots I switch to SB.

My inicial idea was to have 2 wings one for wind between 6 and 12 knots and another when the wind is higher, but start with the easier one to learn all the stuff, but as you said if I can get nearly the same low with the FR2 and I suppose de M rear wing that would be great.

In my spot I was recommended to go for a freerace or race hydrofoil (Moses) but I think that learning foiling jibes should be more complicated, that is why I am looking for a easy wing that allows me to progress easily and enjoy the process without having to compare myself with anyone else in speed (saying that I know that with good technique and a perfomance foil and kite you can ride also in very light winds )

Once I mastered the art of flying a foil (I calculate for this summer... my season starts in less than one month) I would buy an Ozone r1 v2 13 mts or a Chrono ultralight 15 mts.

I know that you are Ketos rider/fan, but I'm worried about two things first is the HF-box with a single screw, which give you little margin to set-up, with rails and plate that is becoming the standard I see it more robust and the second thing is that Ketos do no have a specific board with volumen.

When you say that you use a middle wing which do you mean the FR2 or the Wave?
How is the FR2 in downwind ?

Thank you Peter_Frank

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:18 am

The Fluente is awesome, can not go wrong with it. Great for maneuvers, light wind, actually can be ridden quite fast too.
My main foil is the Vorace these days, but the last few weeks often picked the Fluente again.
Here for example:

Have ridden a Ketos foils before, do not quite know which exact one it was, was a nice ride I recall.
The Levitaz Element was my go to foil before switched to Moses mainly. Nothing bad to say here either, except being a bit pricy in comparison.

Cheers,
Frank
http://www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:47 am

Another option is to get the hp560 wing upgrade (and 330 stabilizer) to the silente. This is a completely different ride to the 425. It's faster, much more efficient and more stable at speed. Gibes are no problem on it. You won't have to replace or mod your board either.

The downside is you're come committing more money to a discontinued platform, but maybe in a year or two you would want to upgrade to something else anyway, depending on the direction your riding takes.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:19 pm

stevez wrote:Another option is to get the hp560 wing upgrade (and 330 stabilizer) to the silente. This is a completely different ride to the 425. It's faster, much more efficient and more stable at speed.
True. Will feel like a completely new foil.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil

flaps1111
Frequent Poster

Postby flaps1111 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Yes Frank_Rosin, no doubt is must be a good foil, speaking in terms of the ease to ride between the Levitaz and Fluente 2017 in lowend and jibes what can you appreciate?
I'm made a mess between the wings 550 and 548 and the two rear wings.
Good video, R1 v2 11mts and short lines? it seems very light :thumb:
stevez wrote:
The downside is you're come committing more money to a discontinued platform, but maybe in a year or two you would want to upgrade to something else anyway, depending on the direction your riding takes.
Yes stevez I thuoght the same even more the repesentative of Moses told me that with my short board dont mix well. :roll:

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Frank Rosin » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:09 pm

flaps1111 wrote:Yes Frank_Rosin, no doubt is must be a good foil, speaking in terms of the ease to ride between the Levitaz and Fluente 2017 in lowend and jibes what can you appreciate?
I'm made a mess between the wings 550 and 548 and the two rear wings.
Good video, R1 v2 11mts and short lines? it seems very light :thumb:

It is R1V2 6m on 14m lines in about 15knots.
The 550 is the better light wind option than the 548, while 548 has more lift and low speed stability.
Personally I prefer the 2017 standard configuration (550 with the flatish stabilizer, the other stabilizer gives a bit more stability though) and feel it gives me the best light wind performance.
For maneuvers the Fluente is a joy. Just so much fun, easy yet enough room to be challenge even at high riding level.

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Aaah, okay Flaps, now I get it.

So you want to get a "new platform" where you can get different wings that suits both marginal wind / learning new things, and higher wind and speeds.

Or do you want to keep your Silente ?

It seems that all three options you are aiming for are good ones, as Frank also says - nothing to say against either of them.

So it is up to two or three things, which sizes are the wings available for a system (actually total lift as the size is only one parameter), and which connection systems - and somewhat which available boards ?

Wings, I assume you know what is available and which sizes from the 3 brands.
Connection system - personal preferences as apparently no standard yet, not possible as you lose the option for thinner boards if too deep, plate is bulky and slow, and too small is not as strong for racing so you have to choose what you want.
Boards ? Many choices, ie for the onescrew KFBox there are also Alpine boards: http://www.alpinefoil.com/pages-hydrofo ... oil/board/ and the same goes for others connection systems, there are always some making "big" boards for every system.

No, I dont have the new Ketos FR2 wing.
I have the Racewing, Wavewing, Freeridewing (FR1 you might call it, higher aspect and smaller than FR2), Easywing (L you might call it as smaller than the new XL).

Some, me included on some days, use the really big wing for waveriding, as then you can "hang" onto the waveface fully foiling, maybe using the small rear wing so more agile :D

My current wings, Easy, Free, Wave, Race/Speed: 800, 595, 570, 523 cm2

Using the 3 left ones the most, and the small one to the right sometimes for big air and strapped freestyle jumping (with a shorter mast), but the wavewing is also excellent for this.

Shot last summer with the big stabilizer (using the small one instead very often now), Wave-Easy-Free-Race:

Could easily live without the smallest wing (but not without the 3 others), but now I got it, it is used occasionally...
Having 4 boards, the Takoon above is my allround board right now, for everything.

I like the KFBox with one screw, not too deep so fits both allround and thinner waveboards too and not bulky, and as I change boards very often (and for packdown when not space in the car) the KFBox is one of the reasons for my choice.
Others like you have different wishes regarding connection preferences.

Your question is valid and difficult as they are all very different - and now you CAN ride, you want a modular system that ticks most of your boxes :naughty:

Many ways to get to this, the upgrade for the newer hp560 is an easy fix and good compromise too :thumb:

As you can see, we all like what we use now as you can see, and what some of us have used of some other brands also works great - so it is more a question of you having to make a choice Flaps :rollgrin:

8) PF

flaps1111
Frequent Poster

Postby flaps1111 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:17 pm

Thank you for your input Peter..... if I buy a new foil I will sell the old one, I don't know if it is worth investing more money in new wings if there is a new easy and more range foil in the market. Trying surfboards or even TT is so much easier as we all know and there is a big difference between using a brick and using a good board although the one who takes the brick can ride, is like driving a 1982 old Ford Fiesta and an Audi A4 both will take you to the same sites ...perhaps I am a little spoil by my actual custom surfboard and freerace board and I don't want to buy a very expensive thing to sell it in 10 months.

Return to “Hydrofoil”