2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Naish Hover or SS hoverglide

Postby nick14 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi guys,
First time on a foil today and I think I went pretty well. It was on the Naish 70cm hover. It seemed pretty easy to ride. I'm looking at purchasing one. Can anyone compare the Naish to a SS hoverglide as I cannot demo one of those but they are cheaper. I'm looking for overall weight and ease of use and how close they both are. Also any pros and cons.

Cheers.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Naish Hover or SS hoverglide

Postby dylan* » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:09 pm

I have a hover glide and a few friends have ridden it and said it's really easy to ride. If you care about weight at all I wouldn't buy it because it's really heavy, it's hard to even carry while attached to the board.

I'm sure it would be more fun to ride than the naish one though, which uses the same low aspect wings as the old liquid force? I rode a similar wing and hated it in comparison, it feels really draggy.

70cm mast is also too short imo unless you are riding on perfectly flat water. I have a 90cm mast and have a hard time getting over chop sometimes when going fast, so I wouldn't want to go shorter than that.

I'm personally probably going to sell my hover glide soon and pick up the Zeeko. The HG rides great and is easy to learn on, reasonable top speed (for beginner at least), but it's just too heavy.

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:42 pm

If you are looking for an alloy foil then I'd recommend to check Zeeko which have an alright weight at 4kg (which is quite a bit lighter than 5+kg.....) If you are OK to spend a bit more then also check the Moses Fluente carbon foil (below 3kg) !

Cheers,
Frank
www.famousfrank.com/hydrofoil

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:48 am

As it looks like the Naish Hover STRUT is the old OEM, (discontinued) L F thick, heavy, not very hydrodynamic, therefore slow and draggy, you would be much better with a much more thought out design!
The SS NF2 foil assembly, STRUT + fuse + wings, NO board weighs 5.2 K, 11.5 lbs which you will feel maybe not so much on the H20 but for sure when carrying.
If you have the feeling you will be foil flying a lot do your self a favour and look into something with more performance and lighter. :thumb:
R H

Blackrat
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Jeffreys Bay , South Africa
Gear: old

Postby Blackrat » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:20 am

I wouldn't buy either , that SS is built like a Russian submarine .

I'd look for a second hand carbon setup for sure
Or a zeeko isn't to far off the price

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:44 am

Axis will really soon have a nice aluminum/G10 foil for the price of the SS. So-ooo much lighter, more fun to ride than the locked-in HG...

nick14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: rosebud, st kilda, brighton
Gear: 2014 naish park 12m
2012 naish park 9m
2012/13 naish fly

Postby nick14 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:08 am

Thanks for the input guys.
I'm also wondering if I go straight into the nobile split with zen as I travel a lot with my NHP split and find it really good. Any opinions on the look of the foil design. They obviously say you can upgrade the front wings as you progress but not sure if that's compromising the performance a lot.

Return to “Hydrofoil”