Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Suggestions for a wave/foil kite in one?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Suggestions for a wave/foil kite in one?

Postby plummet » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:03 am

3InletsWindsports wrote:Plummet, so which of the zero or one strut kites currently on the market have you used and would recommend?
i cant recommend any of the latest kites as mine are all old.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:56 am

plummet wrote:
3InletsWindsports wrote:Plummet, so which of the zero or one strut kites currently on the market have you used and would recommend?
i cant recommend any of the latest kites as mine are all old.
I have used the Zeeko Notus Air, Storm Voyager II, LF Solo, Airush Ultra.

The LF has loads of power but slow turning, so the slowness outweighs its power in terms of jumping (besides one of the worst flappers), and too little range for hydrofoiling, eventhough the smaller ones should be great for jumping of course - good hangtime but medium AR so not max !

The Zeeko Air has loads of range and turns fast, great for hydrofoil - but probably not hangtime like the "power" kites.
Voyager II something in between I would say, works great.

I tried the new (not released but close) Airush Ultra (one strut) 6 m2 last month in Capetown (Hydrofoiling), extremely pleasant kite in every way - but have nothing to compare with regarding power so no idea, but I think it might work.

North makes the Mono but nobody got it around here...
Naish makes the Trip - havent seen or tried one here...
BM Clouds we dont know here either, should be more powerful but not a jumping kite either as I recall ?
Gong ? No idea...

IMO all of above kites are awesome for light wind hydrofoiling, but will flap a lot if riding powered on your other board - when you dont pull the bar.
Can be a lot of nuisance, also when walking with it overhead on the beach in windy conditions - I dont like it (but dont have to as only for hydrofoil) and use my regular wavekites for 9 m2 and down (Takoon Furias)

So for a kite for both worlds, I would seek for something a bit more "strutted" - but just my opinion :wink:

8) PF

pierre.d
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby pierre.d » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:58 pm

If you are coming from Naish.
You can try the naish trip, they are good for wave riding and excellent for foiling. For me they behave better than the storm for regular kiting & wavering.
Under 8m the Naish ride is good too with 2 struts.

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bletti » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:51 am

Frank, can you please expand on why you prefer the enduro to the reo? Which bridal setting do you foil on? I need a new 7m wave / foil kite. Thanks

Frank Rosin
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave & hydrofoil
Gear: Moses hydrofoils, Ozone kites, Dynabar sliding hook + a lot of other gear for fun and testing, e.g. Levitaz, Zeeko, AXIS, HB ....
Brand Affiliation: www.famousfrank.com

Postby Frank Rosin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:30 am

[vimeo][/vimeo]
Bletti wrote:Frank, can you please expand on why you prefer the enduro to the reo? Which bridal setting do you foil on? I need a new 7m wave / foil kite. Thanks

I learned foiling on Reos, it was great.
That was on 25m lines.
These days I am riding mostly 14m lines and to me the Enduro has a better feeling on these. (or I am more used to how it behaves on these... Didn't give the Reo a lot of time on this configuration)
The Enduro has a bit more 'punch' which I like for foiling, getting directly up on the foil after the water start, using an aggressive loop to get going in underpowered situations on small kites.
I am using the Enduro in 4, 6 and 8m.
The 6m being my favorite. Huge range! For me this is the kite / size with the biggest sweet range (think sweet spot).
It is funny, my two preferred hydrofoil kites are both 6m at the moment. Enduro and R1. Really liked the 6m Edge too when I tried it a few days ago.
All on the same 14m lines bar.
Just my personal impressions.

Cheers
Frank
www.famousfrank.com

El_Norte_Adventures
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Style: Hydrofoil and directionals
Gear: LP Foil with low aspect wing, Ocean Rodeo Jester, OR Prodigys and Flite
Brand Affiliation: elnorteadventures.com, Ocean Rodeo, LP Foils, Slingshot, Ride Engine, Xcel

Postby El_Norte_Adventures » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:33 pm

Really like my OR Prodigys for foiling. I find they generate a lot of pull when sine'd so I can rig quite small when going out on the foil.

Agree that a good surf kite and boosting machine are at somewhat opposite sides of the design spectrum. Although the Prodigy will not compare to a high aspect ratio kite, it jumps well for a surf oriented freeride kite.

I'm using 21m lines with the surfboard and 25m when foiling.

El_Norte_Adventures
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Vancouver Island
Style: Hydrofoil and directionals
Gear: LP Foil with low aspect wing, Ocean Rodeo Jester, OR Prodigys and Flite
Brand Affiliation: elnorteadventures.com, Ocean Rodeo, LP Foils, Slingshot, Ride Engine, Xcel

Postby El_Norte_Adventures » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:51 pm

Interesting regarding the 14m lines Frank... I will have to try that out. Are you having to rig a size larger and riding more powered? I really like the feeling of having just enough power to start which seems to give me more usable range out of the kite when riding.

On the same page as you with kite size, I have a 5, 7, and 9.5 Prodigy I use with my surfboard and foil. Would definitely have more range with just the 7m than a three kite quiver (say 7, 9, 12) with only a conventional board. I'd love to try a foil kite in sub 9kts sometime. Ultimately I will probably stick to inflatables as the winter winds around here get unstable below 15kts or so and there is plenty of wind on the lake in the summer.

Sorry for going off topic!

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear

Postby tahoedirk » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:08 pm

f one bandits are great for both , 5th edition and newer, 6 and 9 meter are especially useful and jump high.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:49 pm

Best Cabo is very nice for wave and foiling. I have 6m and 8m, I'm not sure I'd like it in larger sizes for foiling as they are not all that light, but haven't tried it. Clouds are really nice for both, but the relaunch is terrible in waves (fine in flat water to light chop). I also can't get the clouds to point upwind as well as other kites (not really a problem with foil, but annoying on a surfboard).

FrederikS
Frequent Poster

Postby FrederikS » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Storm Voyager is a pretty good middle way. The smaller sizes have three struts and the larger ones are strutless but still grunty on the freeride setting.

The 12 is very light and easy to fly and the 9 handles guts well. Compared to the size the 12 maintains it shape without coning a lot which I thought would be a massive issue.

Return to “Hydrofoil”