Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sliding spreader bar , what do you think ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sliding spreader bar , what do you think ?

Postby marekmk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:07 am

The Dynabar bar is fantastic. they have worked to keep on refining the product and each time I can,t imagine it getting any better, yet is does.

why go into home build?

http://www.jaystore.eu/index.php/shoppi ... abar-xt-v8

paulOz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Hampton and Brighton, Victoria Australia.
Style: HF WW in order of preference.
Gear: KBHF - Jshapes (wonderful)
OR flites

Postby paulOz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:44 am

My 2 cents.
I move to the dynabar 10 sessions ago.
Improved my ability to foil toeside 200%.
I don't notice it 99% of the time.

I wont be going back.

cheers
Paul

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:37 am

marekmk wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:07 am
why go into home build
Cost and the fun of D I Y! :thumb:
I have tested several factory stock jay bar systems and will choose mine over it every and for a fraction of the cost! :D
R H

Flag53
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Rhosneigr
Favorite Beaches: Rhosneigr

Cayo guiermo
Style: Mixed
Gear: Mixed

Postby Flag53 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Well I went and did it and bought a new harness.
My existing North styler packed in , so I needed a new one.
I went for the Ion Pro Wave with rope slider as I thought if I don't like it I could put the hook spreader bar of my old harness onto the new harness.
There are two settings, double rope which is quite short and similar distance to a normal hook or single rope which is a couple Of inches further out.
I tried it on both settings on my wave board as its too windy for the foil.
First impressions are that its really nice.
The shorter setting feels very similar to a hook but with less harness twist and is very comfy and I felt at ease with it straight away.
The single rope setting swung around more but put the depower adjustment on my kite a bit too far away.

So first impressions are good , thanks for all the advice guys ;-)

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:04 pm

marekmk wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:07 am
The Dynabar bar is fantastic. they have worked to keep on refining the product and each time I can,t imagine it getting any better, yet is does.

why go into home build?
99% of my sessions I ride as a goofy - more than 3 years. Spreader bar presented helps my cross bone to resist tensions. Riding toeside, it reduce momentum acting on my spine by half. I still dream about the bar that will refuce this momentum to zero.

But still good after session streching is essential to my health.
Cheers
Tadeusz

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:36 pm

I had a long session with my Ride Engine sliding spreader bar today.

Now I know why I (still) dont like it :o

Of course you have to use loads of time to get your muscle memory and body to adapt - as you suddenly have to have your arm bent or pushed out, depending on which side of the spreader the ring is.

But this is only an adaption, and comes quite quick - during the session one could adapt indeed, just thinking about it, so should not take long.
It also has a very odd non-firm feel, but this could one maybe get used to.

The problem for me, is: When you do a turn, it might slide differently depending upon where you look (ie where your body is tweaked compared to the kite) - and this is crucial, as a few centimeters wrong position of the bar (which it inevitably leads to now and then) will ruin a perfect carve or jibe or move IMO.

Of course one might be able to get used to this, and outweigh this with the advantages, true.

But not being able to use 100 % precise and predictable kite (power) control is a no no for me, as this is the major part of making perfect carves :nono:

Yes, I can twist my body more "upwind" with this bar, both toeside or normal, great :thumb:
But apart from that, I found the disadvantages bigger than this...

Have ridden it a lot last year too, without really knowing what the major problem was - but today I realized what it was (for me, others and many might not agree)

And as said before, I am REALLY stiff and not flexible, so I could need some more freedom, but it does not really work for me for some reason :wink:

8) PF

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:58 am

Took me two or three screw ups on the TT to adapt, but it was instantly good on the directional. When I started learning the foil, I went back to fixed because I thought I'd have issues...I was wrong. And the extra twist I can get at the hips helps heaps, especially toe side.

It's not the spreader bar that's letting down my carves but my timing with the kite...

Each to their own :D

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:28 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:36 pm
I am REALLY stiff and not flexible, so I could need some more freedom,
ME TOO!
And that is exactly why you need to get used to and use a sliding spreader system!
As I already posted at least for me the amount of bunji centering based on its thickness and strength is critical.
Seen in the photos above NO bunji center resistance at least for me is out for sure as sometimes it will slide quickly and for kite loops when on TT, NO WAY!
But Having what would seem when not under force to much bunji center but JUST enough when toe side to pull all the way to the side works great!
I have found that one can get a near linear "slide" when both foiling and all other types of kiteboarding.
R H

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:32 pm

There is definitely a degree of "slop" to the kite feel imparted by a slider. The smaller the slide the less noticeable it is, but its there and it adds some variability to your timing when learning to jibe on a foil. It's usually not a big deal and something you either learn to adapt/accept or not. The trade off is range of motion and decreased torque at the harness.

I think how you feel about it can depend a bit on what kite your using. Have noticed the slider slop did not pair well with the hyper sensitive sheeting and soft structure of my 12m Cloud, but was barely noticeable when matched to the low sheeting sensitivity and over all rigidity of my 9m Rally. The Cloud and the Rally are really opposites on those particular aspects where the Cloud has a definite top end above which it's not much fun and the Rally is so rigid and swept, it basically never tops out, but has none of the clouds agility and feel.

In going to an 8.5m cloud for that workhorse size, I've dropped the slider in favour of a pivot to take better advantage of the kite's strong suits.

Looking at those shots above, it's glaring to me how much cleaner the integrated leash of the BRM bar system is. All the function without the clutter. You really don't miss the chicken loop.
IMG_3479.jpg

opie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sherman island
Style: foiling
Gear: Ketos Fr2, Fr2XL Cloudkites, Pansh A15 15m, 12m
Been thanked: 0

Postby opie » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:15 pm

Starsky, Is that a diy top half of that Cloud connection? Where did you get the metal flap release thingy that goes in the ball?

Return to “Hydrofoil”