Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Sliding spreader bar , what do you think ?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Re: Sliding spreader bar , what do you think ?

Postby revhed » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:20 am

Regis-de-giens wrote: I'll try to take some pictures soon for illustration.
Please
R H

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:32 pm

Here is a picture of my Chicken loop derived from olds Cabrinha bars

Spread bar in fix mode (config A)
20160803_143347.jpg
20160803_143336.jpg
Spread bar in full sliding mode (config B)
20160803_143440.jpg
PS : this system was to be changeable during the ride but too fragile ; after first trial it broke , so I replace "rapidly" the fragile black strips by a 3 mm dyneema rope (I had some in stock) with some pre-set nodes to change the lateral sliding stroke from tight (config A 0 ) to semi or full free (+/- 15 cm) ; no changeable in ride but more resistant.

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:00 pm

After seeing the pictures of your setup I fully understand why you did not like your sliding bar. When you redirect the kite your CL will slide too fast from one side of the bar to the opposite which will rapidly change the sheeting of your bar during the turning of your kite and as a result your will get very poor kite behaviour during transitions as you report.

You can tie a dyneema rope to both sides of your spreader bar (as many others do) and if the length is appropriate you will get much, much better sliding performance and eventually you will like the slider for foiling. :D

cleepa
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby cleepa » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:02 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:29 am
On waveboards I dont like the sliding, so much that even wearing my waist harness loose so it might turn a bit around my waist feels so wrong :cry:
It has to be quite firm so one can feel the kite and have precise dosage of trim and power, without having it rotate :rollgrin: Also, on waveboards you hardly ever ride toeside, only the occasional toeside run on a waveface but easy with a fixed hook.
Assume most others has it just opposite, they like this looseness that I dont like.
In the waves, everyone has their own way of riding. It is often dictated by the conditions in the area, too. Saying "on waveboards you hardly ever ride toeside" might be true for you, but is inaccurate as a general statement. In side-on wind, there are a lot of people who like to ride upwind on the wave. If you want to stay facing the wave, you're riding toeside. There are also a lot of people who only ride their waveboards using their strong stance. They spend exactly 50% of their time riding toeside. And so on and so on...

"In the waves, everyone has their own way of riding" applies to gear choices too! I have choices in my setup that others have tried and hate. But I love them. So, not liking the feel of a sliding spreader doesn't mean that one should retrain themselves to like it. Even though the sliding spreader is very popular in the waves around here, there's loads of people not using them!

I've been on a sliding spreader for a few years now. I keep meaning to try going back to a fixed spreader (without a hook). Because I spend a fair amount of time riding waves toeside upwind, I am curious to see if I get more depower using a fixed spreader than with my (really wide) sliding spreader. Maybe this year I'll get around to it...

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 pm

I was seeking for the minimum friction as possible believing I would save precision. Now I understand you consider this as a drawbackband advise to increase friction to slow down tge transition. So i need to test one day the standard rope as you say or similar...

revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Postby revhed » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:13 pm
I was seeking for the minimum friction as possible believing I would save precision. Now I understand you consider this as a drawbackband advise to increase friction to slow down tge transition. So i need to test one day the standard rope as you say or similar...
Thanks for your picts! :thumb:
I spent a LOT of time and R+D to get my sliding system to my liking an as simple as possible,
I think one needs bar trim line ie. THICK spectra like 7mm or more and a smooth well flanged ring or similar to slide free on spectra.
BUT then,
the choice of bunji elasticity and strength is the key to be able to both KBHF AND TT jumping with the same sliding system.
I now go with a very thick bunji and one can adjust both throw and resistance easy with a SS, inox hose clamp on one or both ends.
Once you get it where it just pulls to the full side when aggressive toe side foil flying I tighten just a smidge more for TT kite loops and such.
R H

tahoedirk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kings beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: All clean beaches
Style: out of control
Gear: Homemade gear
Has thanked: 0

Postby tahoedirk » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:58 pm

When the dynabar passes through the bump in the middle it often makes me bobble in the transition while foiling. I don't ride toeside much either. I bought one , tried it a few times and did not care for it. It would be great for riding waves toeside , but here in California, I have got used to kitesurfing waves switch anyway, like windsurfing decades ago. I guess a smoother system might be better for me.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:08 am

Bump? What bump?

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:51 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:08 am
Bump? What bump?
I suppose that he is talking about the Stainless steel slider.
Personally I believe that it has much worse performance compared to Dyneema rope.
Attachments
dybnabar-v8-pwsteelslider_1066513892.png
dybnabar-v8-pwsteelslider_1066513892.png (113 KiB) Viewed 1323 times

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:32 pm

I use analogous system (with alum slider). However, I added rubber cords on both sides which center sliding ring at the neutral position. I never tried rope, but I can compare it to Dakine sliding harness (featuring a hook on a belt).
Advantages:
- Fixed, not creeping offset, closer to the belly than rope/belt.
- Can be adjusted how much travel and under how much pull
Disadvantages.
- Without proper regulation, or added friction, jerks somewhat erratically from center to side (and back).

Return to “Hydrofoil”