Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2017 Lift Foils

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:36 pm

Blackrat wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:20 pm
Must say I'm liking the one piece bottom section

Rear wing looks like it's on the huge side ...

Dont know about the rear wing - bigger is more stable so always fine.

But if the sizing 110-130-150 is square inch, it corresponds to 710-840-970 cm2 which is HUUUGE!

Having said that, they could be super thin and super low cambered thus low lift and drag - I have no idea...

But important to know, as IF you seek some really high lifting wings, these sizes and profiles are important, and reverse, if you dont like such sizes :wink:

8) PF

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:37 pm

Starsky wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:15 pm
Stoked your digging it. They look super nice. Price is decent too.

Do you know if the mast is all carbon or foam core? It's not that foam core is even a bad thing. Just rather they own it than let people believe its full carbon due to tricky wording in the marketing. Thats a sketchy practice.
Yes, sketchy indeed, I would think due to past experience with MHL, the mast and fuse will be divincell foam core, unless I missed it on the website I don't see anything referring to prepreg , I do see " lots of carbon and Kevlar" stated, in the past the wings were fiberglass wrapped in carbon, the base plate was poured epoxy wrapped in fiberglass and carbon and these foils were advertised as " full carbon" and had lots of issues.
As for Kevlar, in my opinion there is no place for Kevlar in a rigid structure, it is useful in things like a canoe hull because it has "give" and flexibility which absorbs impacts without cracking, in a foil I think it just adds bulk without increasing rigidity.
I think the statement " carbon composite" is super deceptive as that could mean carbon and any material.
On the other hand Moses ( and slingshot ghost whisperer) are also advertised as carbon composite, I drilled out a baseplate on one and it has a fiberglass core but does have lots of carbon and both are super stiff.
Carbon composite is a very loose term.

gmasiak
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Skyway Bridge in Saint Petersburg , Fl
Favorite Beaches: Lido Beach in Sarasota, FL
Anna Maria Beach, North Desoto Beach
Style: Freeride, Foiling
Gear: Lift Foils 110 and 150 with Zeeko AirRace board.
Pulsion UL 12m ,OR Flite kites.

Postby gmasiak » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:33 pm

I heard mast is make as a protrusion (manufacturing in USA) with channel in the middle to run the cable for electric motor. I just got a 110 wing and so far is great... smooth, quiet and turn effortlessly. I think 110 model is base on 2015 MHL wing.

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:34 am

I recently got the new MHL Lift 150 wing with 28 inch mast - this setup is meant for SUP, but I love riding this thing with a kite in low winds. Yesterday I was out riding in 6kts of wind with my Maui Cloud 17m! The stall speed on the wing is unbelievable, I can ride at a speed of 4-5 miles per hour. Plus I can easily get out in low tide with onshore wind. Even with waves and chop the short mast didn't bother me - carving and gybing is super fun on this thing.

I think this is the future for foilboarding - I still like my Ghost Whisper, but this my new go to foil. Slow foils are the future for most free riders.

yomotha
Frequent Poster
Style: Whatever I feel like for the day
Gear: Core, Lift
Has thanked: 0

Postby yomotha » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:02 am

stevez wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:22 pm
palmbeacher wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:35 pm
So if you damage your front wing you have to replace the whole thing :-?
Looks sweet, but I got a problem with that too.
Also makes it harder to travel with.
Just spent the last 2 weeks in Maui riding the new 2017 setup. This is my first foil and I was up and riding on my second session (only used foot straps on the front, none on the back). I have the longest strut and classic wing. Super fun.

Regarding travel, I bought a 29" suitcase with nice stiff sides and just angled the foil 25-35 degrees in the case and packed clothes, etc around it. No parts of it were protruding from the suitcase and there was no way other luggage on top of mine that would cause any stress on the wing. So traveling with the wing is no problem.

Happy with the purchase for sure.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:48 am

I'm thinking about this as my next foil, probably the 130 wing. Anything not to like about them, especially from those who have ridden them so far? Please be honest!

I suppose the downside of the one piece foil is it's not ideal for travel, but from what I've seen so far, making a foil that you can disassemble is going to involve some compromise somewhere in design - either strength, robustness, or efficiency, or even safety - I really like the fact that this foil doesn't have a single pointed edge. Levitaz has come the closest from what I've seen, at the expense of adding a little weight.

My personal wishlist:
1. Smooth and quiet, no annoying sound or vibration
2. Early planing - can get up on a foil at low speed
3. Efficiency - can ride with a small kite at low power and good glide
4. Stable at low speed and medium speed (I don't need super fast).
5. Lively, responsive and manoeuvrable
6. Stiff
7. Robust construction and good build quality

Which of these does it tick off or not? If it's all of the above, I reckon they've nailed it.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:12 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:36 pm
Blackrat wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:20 pm
Must say I'm liking the one piece bottom section

Rear wing looks like it's on the huge side ...

Dont know about the rear wing - bigger is more stable so always fine.

But if the sizing 110-130-150 is square inch, it corresponds to 710-840-970 cm2 which is HUUUGE!

Having said that, they could be super thin and super low cambered thus low lift and drag - I have no idea...

But important to know, as IF you seek some really high lifting wings, these sizes and profiles are important, and reverse, if you dont like such sizes :wink:

8) PF

Noone has confirmed if the sizing is square inch, meaning: 710-840-970 cm2, the 110-130-150 so we must believe this is the case, meaning they are in the really big sizes :wink:

8) PF

stevez
Frequent Poster
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:33 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:12 am
Noone has confirmed if the sizing is square inch, meaning: 710-840-970 cm2, the 110-130-150 so we must believe this is the case, meaning they are in the really big sizes :wink:

8) PF
I believe they are. For example the 110 is 22"' x 7" and the 130 is 25" x 7.25".

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:47 am

Sounds about right stevez, with the taper towards the tips, the numbers adds up just fine (around 3/4 as multiplication factor), thanks for getting that sorted :thumb:

8) PF

stevez
Frequent Poster
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:20 pm

Yeah, thanks Peter.

Return to “Hydrofoil”